Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Hints that really helped me

Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Since we have not had a new FAH post in over a week I put together some notes on two of the hints (from others) that I have implemented. Please feel free to share something that has worked well for you.

I know there are some stickied threads. Maybe if something really good shakes out, it can be added as a sticky.

Use windoz scheduler to kick off uniprocessor folding overnight when no one is using the pc. Link

With XP; Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task

I kick it off at 11pm and set it to run for 7hr 25min. Doing so uses the 2nd core on a dual core pc that everyone uses. The 1st core is almost always busy folding as well.

How to throttle upload speed of FAH? The *nix trickle command is discussed here: Link
But after reading that it was not universally successful, I went here: Link

And now use wondershaper. Currently with these parameters in place,
sudo wondershaper eth0 500 70
my linux SMP pc can upload and not disturb people on the same network who are trying to browse the web via our DSL. I am considering bumping the upload speed of 70 back a bit. Monitoring the results of the last increase from 60 to 70 shows not much difference.

Happy Folding!