ATI (errr AMD) F@H

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

ATI (errr AMD) F@H

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Has there been any advances in the ati gpu client? I'd like to fold with the video card and my i7 but i was under the impression Nvidia cards still held a wide margin above ATI cards. Anything new I should know about or do?
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
Work/Play: 2012 13" Macbook Air
Work: 2014 Dell Inspiron 7000
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: ATI (errr AMD) F@H

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Unfortunately no. IMHO, its just not worth the power draw to fold with an ATI/AMD card. They are also a fairly heavy cpu intensive card compared to NVidia which would mean your ppd on your i7 would probably drop fairly significantly because the bonus is directly related to the time of completion.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Hopefully that improve with the new stream SDK and such new products coming out?
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
Work/Play: 2012 13" Macbook Air
Work: 2014 Dell Inspiron 7000
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 pm

DancinJack wrote:Hopefully that improve with the new stream SDK and such new products coming out?

You would hope but I would not count on it :( Many people have been waiting for it to happen for the pass few years.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm

It's a shame.
I've got some ATI cards just sitting around for long portions of the day. Properly utilized they might give the UGN a bit of a much needed boost. But I just can't justify having them run for such meager results.
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:00 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:It's a shame.
I've got some ATI cards just sitting around for long portions of the day. Properly utilized they might give the UGN a bit of a much needed boost. But I just can't justify having them run for such meager results.

oO...If it is the case then i will leave my new build 4850 to sleep , and let my Atom to fold at least it contribute to the earth with less power wasted. :D
mghong
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 am

mghong wrote:

oO...If it is the case then i will leave my new build 4850 to sleep , and let my Atom to fold at least it contribute to the earth with less power wasted. :D

AMD GPUs may be slower folders, but it should still be better than the Atoms. Remember they are like Pentium IIIs at best.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 am

Flying Fox wrote:
mghong wrote:

AMD GPUs may be slower folders, but it should still be better than the Atoms. Remember they are like Pentium IIIs at best.

I'm running a Win7 64bit wit a AMD processor.

just download the GPU client for Win7(32bit) , when i start the service , it mention viewer is not open ..is there something wrong i havent setup properly ? :)
mghong
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort