GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 am

GT 440: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20340

Assuming the current WU mix still favours higher clocks, does this mean the 440's even higher clock will at least match the 450 in terms of output? I don't see a PCIe connector there so that means 75W TDP for a possible 10k+ ppd? New ppd/watt/$ king?
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24440
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 am

Can you fold with 5870's?
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Florida

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Bump?
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Florida

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:30 pm

StuG wrote:Can you fold with 5870's?


Yes. V6 GPU2 client for ATI 2xxx-5xxx. NV cards are going to get more PPD, but every point counts dude.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
DL link: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... ay-623.msi

Don't forget you can run an smp client on that PII.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:44 pm

I've got a quadcore 2500k and gtx560 that should start folding for an indeterminate amount of time starting early next week. My goal is to hit 4ghz+ on the 2500. The gpu probably won't be overclocked.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 11914
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 5:55 am
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:57 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:I've got a quadcore 2500k and gtx560 that should start folding for an indeterminate amount of time starting early next week. My goal is to hit 4ghz+ on the 2500. The gpu probably won't be overclocked.


Sweet! At around 4ghz you should get about 10-12K PPD. The 560 should put up around 15K too!
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Flying Fox wrote:GT 440: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20340

Assuming the current WU mix still favours higher clocks, does this mean the 440's even higher clock will at least match the 450 in terms of output? I don't see a PCIe connector there so that means 75W TDP for a possible 10k+ ppd? New ppd/watt/$ king?
I'm not so confident this will do that well. My GTS 450 has 192 SP's, runs 930 MHz core/1860 MHz shader, and generally produces in the 9300-10000 range, depending on what else is going on and the WU. Yesterday I changed my SMP client to "low" priority from "idle", though, and the GPU is going slower since, and it seems like the P 6900 SMP WU I'm running is going faster, even though it didn't seem to do much when I ran procexp.exe as Admin to increase the priority of the SMP client to "Normal". So I don't know what to say, but in general I'm doubtful the new card will perform as well as mine does, though it may well be a better buy in energy cost and purchase price terms (mine cost $126 new).

DancinJack wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:I've got a quadcore 2500k and gtx560 that should start folding for an indeterminate amount of time starting early next week. My goal is to hit 4ghz+ on the 2500. The gpu probably won't be overclocked.


Sweet! At around 4ghz you should get about 10-12K PPD. The 560 should put up around 15K too!
I expect he should do better than that with the CPU, depending. Since they're more efficient than Bloomfields, he may well be noticeably in excess of 30K PPD if he runs -bigadv.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:I expect he should do better than that with the CPU, depending. Since they're more efficient than Bloomfields, he may well be noticeably in excess of 30K PPD if he runs -bigadv.


I think he's probably going to get closer to 20K on bigadv @4ghz(assuming they will finish). From what I've been reading (random folding forums), people are getting somewhere between 25-30K depending on clock speed with -bigadv. I think one that I read was right about 25k @4.5Ghz on project 6900.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Well that's odd. My 930, @ 3906 MHz, is delivering ~30-31K PPD depending on if I'm doing anything on the machine (when I go away the frames are taking under 34 minutes) on a P 6900. But I'm still unsure how OCing works on those SandyBridges. I bought faster-than-stock memory so I could OC my CPU, but if you can't increase the base clock any more but only increase the multiplier, it would seem like that would make things significantly more difficult for OCing.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:Well that's odd. My 930, @ 3906 MHz, is delivering ~30-31K PPD depending on if I'm doing anything on the machine (when I go away the frames are taking under 34 minutes) on a P 6900. But I'm still unsure how OCing works on those SandyBridges. I bought faster-than-stock memory so I could OC my CPU, but if you can't increase the base clock any more but only increase the multiplier, it would seem like that would make things significantly more difficult for OCing.

Sandy Bridge overclocking with the base clock is essentially a no-go, which makes higher clocking memory even more useless (if that's possible!). If you want to overclock SB you have to either get one of the unlocked models or, for a much less satisfying overclock, you can get one of the models with turbo boost and essentially tell the chip to run at the turbo frequency all the time.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: GTS450 Folding = 12,000 PPD

Postposted on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:00 am

Those initially high GTS450 PPD seemed to only apply to the initial beta WU's. These things deliver 8-9000PPD.

On sandybridge OCing, you need to get the K-unlocked multiplier. As mentioned, a i7 running ~4Ghz on 8 "cores" is good for ~30k PPD.

My initial tinkering got a stable 4.45Ghz on a 2600K which is good for ~40k PPD on P6900. Nice!

CPU Multiplier @ 44 * 101 BCLK. Some people seem to be able to run the CPU multiplier at 45-48 but I haven't been able to get stable 24x7 yet. Not sure If I want to push it to the bitter edge when running FAH 24x7. The cool temperatures that the 2600K does this overclock at is amazing. Full burn 8 threads at 4.5Ghz the cores run ~60C with a Corsair H70 cooler.

- JP
JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:02 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Previous

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests