Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Folding with GPU and CPU?

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 am

I want to fold with my GPU (460GTX) and dedicate one of my CPU cores to the CPU SMP client so I can fold 24/7 (AMD Athlon II X4 @ 3.4ghz). THE GPU is scoring 9,500 PPD but I must have done something wrong when running the SMP client as it has only scored a 1,500 points in three days.

Can someone walk me through how to correctly run the SMP client alongside my GPU client?

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Re: Folding with GPU and CPU?

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 am

Did you apply for a passkey? If not get one here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py. Once you have your passkey go to your folding at home directory via the command line and type -configonly as a parameter. The second or third line down it will ask for your passkey (do this for the GPU and CPU client). Enter it there. Once you fold 10 WU's with the passkey you should automatically be getting the -smp bonus. This should happen very, very quickly if your folding with a 460.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Folding with GPU and CPU?

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 am

The SMP bonus is based on how early you turn in the completed WUs in relative to the deadline. If you're only allowing it to use one core you may have trouble making the deadlines at all, let alone turning around the WUs fast enough to get substantial early completion bonuses.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.