Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Weird new problem with my DSL modem during folding...

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:17 pm

...or at the end of a unit, I should say.

Sometimes, at the end of an x17 work unit, when it's being uploaded to the server, the upload progress in the log will get all the way to something like 97%, and then it will stop producing messages. There are no messages saying that the WU was invalid or anything. Internet will stop working at this time too.

A new work unit, having been received when the prior x17 reached 99% "complete" (not 99% uploaded), will continue to just sit and wait, even though the GPU has no work to perform. The CPU slot will continue to run, of course.

The only way I've been able to fix this situation is to power down the DSL modem, then power it up and reboot the PC. Just recycling the DSL modem will not provide the kickstart that the folding client needs to retry the failed WU upload.

Upon PC reboot and restart of the folding client, the partially-uploaded x17 WU will retry the upload, sometimes several times. Eventually, I get back an "ALREADY GOT" message, followed by "DUMPING WORK", and the new x17 WU begins processing in the GPU slot. Checking my points records, I see that I am indeed getting credit for these buggered up WUs, and the credit is being granted at the time of the network hang, not after my reboot (it's easy to tell when the freeze happened 8 hours ago, that I got the credit back then).

This is a real pain in the ass, because fixing it requires me to be present, conscious, AND at my computer! If it happens when I'm not home, asleep, or doing something else around the house, I could lose anywhere from 3 to 16 hours of processing time. This hurts not only my production, but the folding projects that my PC is taking part in.

The DSL modem is a simple Netgear model, only about a year old. Have had no problems with it, and even now when this happens, it always coincides with the tail-end of an x17 UPLOAD, never at any other time. It seems to happen about every third or fourth x17 upload, not every time.

Any thoughts?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Weird new problem with my DSL modem during folding...

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Does the modem include a router? If so I'd try running off a proper router and doing PPPoE passthrough on the DSL modem (assuming you are PPPoE for your DSL infrastructure). I'm assuming you've checked for new firmware for the modem?

Until you posted that it was a Netgear, I was beginning to think you were on Bell Canada's DSL infrastructure and suffering from sync-no-surf with a Sagemcom...

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Sounds like your DSL doesn't like long bursts of data, either intentional (shaping) or unintentional (bad lines, router). I'm guessing you just have a bum router like fred mentioned.

On a quality of life thing... Try disabling the network device and re-enabling it after your router fails and needs a reboot instead of rebooting your computer. It will probably fix it without all the hassle.

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 am

Hi all.

It's a Netgear DM111PSP V2. No new firmware available.

I do use a proper router, the Netgear R6300. The folding PC is connected by Ethernet, because of close proximity to the router. All other devices in the house are WIFI N.

And (of course) no incidents since Sunday morning.

I am beginning to think that some x17 WUs cause hiccups/hangs. Because this only happens with x17s, and only some of them.

Waiting for re-occurrence.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 am

Regardless of whether the x17s have an issue, it should not be possible for anything your PC does to cause the DSL modem to hang. If the modem is hanging, either the modem hardware is failing or it has buggy firmware.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 am

Have you disabled the router part of the DSL modem:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... ridge-mode)

If not you will be running double-NAT and that can cause odd issues although it shouldn't actually cause what you are seeing here. Putting the modem in to bridge mode will also give it less to deal with and may avoid triggering some firmware bugs.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 am

Bridge mode isn't what I want I don't think. I'm just using it as a regular ADSL modem between my router and the telco.

Plus, no further incidents still.

Again, firmware is at most current per the modem's admin page "look for updates". Not much more I can do at the moment but wait for recurrence.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 am

BIF wrote:
Bridge mode isn't what I want I don't think. I'm just using it as a regular ADSL modem between my router and the telco.

If you have a separate router, then bridged mode (on the modem) is generally what you want.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 am

The modem is a "modem-only" router model. No router/switch components. Wouldn't it already be in bridge mode then? You got me curious; how could I check it?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:31 am

Check the link I posted. According to the model number you provided and Netgear's docs for that model number it is a router by default but the link I posted from their website shows how to make it in to modem only mode (i.e. bridge mode).

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am

notfred wrote:
Check the link I posted. According to the model number you provided and Netgear's docs for that model number it is a router by default but the link I posted from their website shows how to make it in to modem only mode (i.e. bridge mode).

Also make sure you reboot your other router after you do. It'll need to get a new DHCP lease from your ISP (instead of from the other router). Rebooting the PC too couldn't hurt.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Very well guys; I will research as you suggest. Thanks!