Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: TR Frankenbot 2013

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I just noticed; we broke 5 million points for October already!

Nicely done so far!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Frankie seems to be down across the board. Did someone's node fail?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 pm

My systems are working OK!
I was just thinking ? Can we hit top 10?
We hit top 20 last year.

Side note My folding hero. TheJuggernaut quit folding!

There are few that started folding for 2630 Techreport 1-1-04, the START!
I started 9-14-04 it has been and still is a fun, but expensive pastime.

Fold on,

Fuzzhead

Khali
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 pm

All my systems were down for about 12 hours due to a power outage. Back up and running now.

I just looked at the EOC stats list. The TR Team still has 66 people folding for the team but not under the TRFrankenbot name. I don't have a issue with people choosing not to join in with us for this project. But I have to wonder how many of those people even know what we are doing. When was the last time TR had a article discussing folding or the folding team? No one had a few minutes to write up a article saying its that time a year again for Frankie and please come help out not just to see how high a score we can get to but because its a good cause.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 am

Well, you can contact Scott and ask him about mentioning this on front page or whatever... You can do it through e-mail or Twitter.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 am

JohnC wrote:
Well, you can contact Scott and ask him about mentioning this on front page or whatever... You can do it through e-mail or Twitter.

I just shot off a email to Scott and Jordan. Hopefully they will help us out with a bit of PR. I should have done this before October even rolled around. I feel into the trap I always warn others about, I assumed they knew about our efforts with Frankie.

My apologies if some of my posts come across as mean, grumpy, negative, etc. I don't mean it that way but some times it comes across that way due to my heath issues. Being pretty much confined to my home can be depressing and it comes out from time to time.

lazl0
Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 am

Switched all but one of my folding nodes over to Frankie on the 1st/2nd of the month. The remaining system has yet to be found, if and when I do find it, it will also join in the Frankie horrorfest. Its a shame that we don't get greater participation from other TR folders. Its times like these that I wish each folding group had an admin assigned that could flip all users for that particular team to fold under a single identity.... oh well.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:12 am

Khali wrote:
My apologies if some of my posts come across as mean, grumpy, negative, etc. I don't mean it that way but some times it comes across that way due to my heath issues. Being pretty much confined to my home can be depressing and it comes out from time to time.

Its's ok, dude, I know exactly how you feel. And, no, you are not being negative or mean, that was a perfectly valid question.
I think no one mentions about Folding anymore (including the front page of TR) mostly because the popularity of this project has significantly declined over time due to various reasons - there weren't any "revolutionary" discoveries based on the processed data plus many people got frustrated due to lack of necessary and speedy optimizations for the GPU portion of the client and stopped doing it altogether, or they just continue running the client in background without trying to stay up-to-date with whole project and individual "teams"...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 am

There have been quite a number of findings that are a direct result of F@H project.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-diseases/, for a brief overview

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/papers, if you want to dig into the actual research papers.

Like any hard pure science project, you have to do a lot of stabbing in the dark before you come across a ground-breaking finding that leads to a revolution in the field.

The F@H client is very mature and GPU portion is so much better than it was back in the early days of GPU folding (HD 4xxx/88xx familes). The UI front-end is very friendly and provides more than enough options for 99% of the power users.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

BIF
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:42 am

Maybe a portion of those 66 people never visit the forums or read TR on a regular basis. If that is the case, an article on the front page won't get their attention any more than this thread, which has been showing up on the front page whenever we update it.

We all get busy in our lives. Maybe another portion of those 66 just don't have easy access to their folding machines that run in the back of the server room someplace. Could be that others just don't want to mess around with changing donor names and key codes, for fear of making a mistake and missing out on bonus points.

It's all cool with me, at least they are still folding and they are part of team TR, so it all helps.

I don't feel all that strongly that TR really needs to promote this with articles and front-page banners. After all, it's not really news and folding is not something everybody is interested in or can afford, so TR has to make a choice here and try to appeal to the most people.

And at the end of it all, Frankie is just for fun. And as has been observed, we've already smashed the records of all prior years! Participation levels are at least as high as prior years, maybe even more; so we should resist the temptation to start thinking that we didn't do well or that we weren't supported well enough.

For me, I just get a real kick out of being able to participate in a month-long juggernaut effort! And when it comes down to it, having my normal folding identity offline for 31 days really won't make a big difference in my point generation or my standing in the rankings. I'm gonna catch the people I'm gonna catch, and I'm not gonna pass those who generate more than me unless/until I bring more folding units online.

For now I say let's all just enjoy the ride! :D

Update: We have already surpassed 6 million points for this month. If we don't get hit with too many outages this weekend, then by Monday morning we should easily be in the mid 7-million range; whooohoo!

BIF
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:59 am

JohnC wrote:
...the popularity of this project has significantly declined over time due to various reasons - there weren't any "revolutionary" discoveries based on the processed data plus many people got frustrated due to lack of necessary and speedy optimizations for the GPU portion of the client...

Krogoth wrote:
There have been quite a number of findings that are a direct result of F@H project.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-diseases/, for a brief overview
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/papers, if you want to dig into the actual research papers.
The F@H client is very mature and GPU portion is so much better than it was back in the early days of GPU folding (HD 4xxx/88xx familes). The UI front-end is very friendly and provides more than enough options for 99% of the power users.

Krogoth, thank you for this. Too many people keep repeating the same things that John did. They just don't know and don't keep up with the results and the improvements, so it's always on us to set the record straight. Yes, the Pande Group is sometimes very slow to bring new innovations to their code, but they are a small team with limited resources and these things take time to do right!

The current CPU and GPU client software seems to be very well done and is quite reliable.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:18 pm

BIF wrote:
They just don't know and don't keep up with the results and the improvements

Because they are not significant enough to warrant the attention. That is a simple fact that a lot of obsessed people fail to realize.

BIF wrote:
seems to be very well done and is quite reliable.

Tell me, how often do you visit their official forums or Folding-related sections at other major, more active hardware forums? There are plenty of people who still post various issues almost daily. Hell, there isn't even an easy way for newbies to find information about and configure the client to receive x17 WU's (yes, I know they are "beta"), or to diagnose why they aren't receiving them even after making necessary changes. Especially without searching official forums.

BIF
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:00 pm

JohnC wrote:
Tell me, how often do you visit ...

John, your concerns may be legitimate. But I'm not going to argue the point in this Frankie thread, not even to say if I disagree with you.

We have 20 days to go in October and we're leaving flattened trees and villages burned to the ground in our wake with this fabulously scary progress!

My aim is to be a part of something that stomps all previous records (and then some a lot more). I hope you will help. I'd prefer that you fold with us, but I'll be happy with just keeping it positive. :D

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Let's try to overtake the former Juggernaut! Current projections show that Franken will be nipping at its heels by the time Oct 31 rolls around.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:36 am

You're right, "The Juggernaut" is indeed there! Um, "only" 13 million points and 3 weeks ahead of us at our current progress. Looks not to be folding these days, but getting to him would also mean that we'd be approaching or passing the earlier-mentioned 20 Million points for this year.

This morning my system was unresponsive, so I had to reboot it and restart folding. I think it crashed right while uploading an x17 work unit just before the midnight checkpoint last night. Well, this delay caused us not to get those 28,000 points for yesterday's numbers; hence the lower daily count for yesterday. As I write this, the WU just finished successfully uploading, but the nearly 12-hour delay cost us; it was only worth 19,000 points today. And the new x17 that was downloaded last night just before my crash will be similarly delayed and probably will get a similarly lower early return bonus.

Oh well, onward and upward. At least I'm back online and I didn't have any trouble restarting my clients. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38 am

Any idea why it might have crashed? Temps OK? Any other history of stability issues?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, I went to bed with my animation software open as well as the magnifier and a slew of IE and FF windows. Folding was running as usual. I do this all the time without any trouble. It's a 24/7 system that almost never gets "turned off". Usually I just do a manual "restart" every one or two weeks to pick up windows updates and also recycle my modem and router at the same time; just because that's a convenient time to remember and do it.

When I came back about 10-11 hours later, the room was a couple degrees cooler than usual (meaning that folding had stopped) and the screens were blank and there was no response to mouse or cursor movements. When I pressed the power button, PSU just shut off (rather than the box going to sleep), which tells me that it had actually crashed.

Pressing the power button again resulted in a normal boot whereupon Windows offered to send crash/dump info to Microsoft, which I consented to.

When I started folding, I looked at the client and saw that the GPU slot was resending its finished WU to Stanford while the new one was sitting there ready to begin processing and the CPU slot was in the middle of its own WU.

It makes me wonder if maybe folding was able to crash my system...there's a lot going on right at that point when you're uploading a WU.

I have found a System event log entry (I am in Eastern US time zone):
------> The previous system shutdown at 1:50:37 AM on ‎10/‎12/‎2013 was unexpected.
The message above appeared at 10:55 this morning, when I rebooted.

I looked for and found no log entries at or around 1:50:37, and no obvious application or system log entries around that time that would raise any red flags.

Checkpoint was resumed, and the finished WU had to be completely resent (but not reprocessed). This worked. I'm back in business and not sure if any further research would get me anywhere.

Temps seem to be fine but I will monitor.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Just a FYI - If you leave browser windows open, and any of those browser windows have Flash animations running in them, they can steal a non-trivial percentage of the CPU cycles. You might want to consider closing the browsers when you go to bed...

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah, I knew that...probably should change my habits!

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:28 am

With yesterday's total of 680K, we have pretty much established the upper and lower limits of a "channel". That's a chart pattern. I saw it in my own production stats and in others. We will probably stay in this channel of 550K to 700K for the rest of the month as long as we keep our participation high and monitor our own folding machines to minimize extended periods of being offline.

We can rise higher, but we'll need people to join us, add folding slots to their machines, or bring new machines online. Any increase at this point will be the result of conscious action; not so much "the luck of the draw" with high-value work units and such.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am

Assuming things stay like they are we might hit 16 to 18 million depending on the WU's we get. If we could get a few more people or systems added in it still might be possible to hit our goal. Time will tell.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 am

You're doing pretty well even without extra systems, don't worry much about it...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm

JohnC wrote:
You're doing pretty well even without extra systems, don't worry much about it...

Joining us anytime soon? ;)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Join what? TR Team? I might already be there :wink: I just prefer to use my own unique name.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:15 pm

JohnC wrote:
Join what? TR Team? I might already be there :wink: I just prefer to use my own unique name.

Might? Did you set up a box some time ago and forget where it is now? :P

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Yea... You know how it is - bought few Titans, misplaced some, judging by team stats and electricity usage they might still be folding somewhere in some corner of the house :wink:

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:37 pm

I put another GPU on Frank. It does about 100K ppd.
That should help some. I will put on more later.

Fuzzhead

Fold On

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:37 am

Fuzzhead rocks! Whoohoo!

mnecaise
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am

fuzzhead wrote:
I put another GPU on Frank. It does about 100K ppd.
That should help some. I will put on more later

Wow, I'm going about this all wrong... All of my machines are old or are laptops, a couple are pieced together from parts, and the only one with a GPU worth mentioning has an ATI 5770 (so, old). All combined I think they're pushing less than 20k ppd.

If I wasn't putting all my spare cash into rebuilding my truck right now...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 am

Yes, I have GPU folding envy as well. :lol: Since I don't game any more, I really can't justify the cost (and noise...) of a GPU capable of that kind of production. At least my two octo-core FX systems are pushing about 15K PPD each.