Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: TR Frankenbot 2013

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 am

Update:

I just found out that there is a planned server and stats outage today:

Stats manually turned off in preparation for early Tuesday morning shutdown

October 22, 2013 by Vijay Pande ·
One of our primary server rooms will be shutdown for service tomorrow morning. Most of FAH will be operational, but we’re taking the stats update off line now so there won’t be complications tomorrow morning. WUs returned will still get credit, but the credit will not show up until the stats update is re-activated.

Planned server room shutdown October 22 at 6am pacific time

October 11, 2013 by Vijay Pande ·
One of our main server rooms is going through planned maintenance on Tuesday, October 22 starting at 6:00 AM pacific time. The outage is expected to be less than one hour, so power should be restored by 7:00 AM. However, additional time will be required to bring all computer systems back online and doing a cold restart some times leads to new issues. We’ll give more updates as we know them.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:52 am

Hmm, looks like I need to look into their email notification system. A while back they moved the blog from a blog service to in house at Stanford.

For those following along at home -- http://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 am

It appears now that Stanford is back online.

Statistics are WAAAAYYYYY behind, and I wonder if they will be caught up or if they will be lost. At our most recent rate, Frankie most likely has generated nearly a half-million points over the last four "zero" checkpoints that haven't yet shown up.

One way or another we should know in the next 2 to 5 hours depending on when the updates show up, right?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am

Relax, grasshopper. It is not the first time their systems went down. It won't be their last either. 8)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:53 pm

LOL

"Grasshopper", funny! :)

I have never seen the whole universe show up with zero points for the day. What will we lose next, our hair? Gravity? Beer? Brats? Beer AND brats?

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

This is going to mess up our points for Frankie. Simplest solution, assuming we can get every one to agree, is to keep running into the first of November to make up the difference.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Almost a whole day without stats. Nice, we will see a big angry spike once Stanford catches up. I don't think it will take more than a week to catch up assuming they are really resuming the stats update process.

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:16 pm

As I write this, an update is coming through now.

It appears that our lost points yesterday have stacked with our accumulated points today. So the hourly numbers will be off and today's total will include the last three hours of Monday's production...but it appears that no points will be "lost".

No need to run into November. I think it's better to put forth our best October performance no matter what external events occur, and just make it our goal next year to beat that.

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Points posted in a big way. 786,335

BIF
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Looks like we are still going strong. I'll take any good news I can get.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:38 am

Just a few more days of current production levels until Frankie beats "The Juggernaut!" :D
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

BIF
Topic Author

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Indeed, and with our production during this month alone, we have already DOUBLED Frankie's starting points total. Outstanding work, my dear folders!

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:27 pm

We've reached the home stretch. I think we are on track for just over 21 million. Great job! Frankie experienced a jolt.

BIF
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Bowled me over, that's for sure! :D

Edit: I plan to run my system for Frankie right up until my last work units to finish in October have completed on Halloween night. I hope everybody else drives with me to the finish. :)

Khali
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 am

At the end of the day for October 29th we have made our goal of 20 Million. To be exact we had 20,456,219 points. With two days to go we might even make it to 22 million for the month. A very good job done by all to get us to our goal. :D

I will be running my systems to midnight on the 31st then switching back to my folding account. Frankie will be going back to sleep until next year. After the work out he got he just might need 11 months of sleep to recover.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:07 am

We also passed the Juggernaut sometime on Tuesday I think. Frankie make big scary all month long! Massive big scary!

Interesting side note: The points were higher but we also brought in fewer total work units this month compared to a year ago. I surmise that these high-dollar x17's all take 7+ hours for anybody and everybody to finish, and maybe even 9-10 hours for slower HD and GTX cards to complete, effectively reducing the number of WUs to only 2 or 3 that each slot could be capable of finishing within any given 24 hour span.

Oh yes and the mystery is killing me...I really really want to know the PPD for a Titan or K6000, how long the average x17 work unit takes for those GPUs to complete, compared to the dual GPU cards GTX690 and HD7990. Does anybody have any idea, or could you point me someplace where I could research and compare myself?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

Khali wrote:
...I will be running my systems to midnight on the 31st then switching back to my folding account...

Thank you Khali for your effort and for participating. Ditto to everybody else who joined Team Frankie this year! I hope you all continue to fold under your own accounts after October is over, but if for whatever reason you cannot or choose not to, please know that your contributions are valued and appreciated. This was a fun team effort, and I enjoyed checking the stats. Sometimes in the morning before my coffee, sometimes on lunch break (or a bathroom break, yikes!), and other times in the car before driving home or to some personal event or commitment. It was a lot of fun anticipating and checking in. :D

I was going to give some reminders Thursday, but Halloween is always busy in my haunted house, so I will give them now:

--->> For the purposes of mathematics, the Extreme database is on Central time zone (and that's really the main source we're all using anyway). So for those of you in Eastern US time zone, you can run your Frankie work units up until 12:59 am ET on November 1st and those work units will still count toward October's numbers.

--->> Of course, if you look at your folding client's status in between trick-or-treaters, you'll be able to tell when your last October units will complete or already have completed. Like for example if it's 9 pm Central Time and your two units say "6 hours" and "22 hours", then you can switch over at that time anyway since those work units couldn't possibly be completed in time to be counted in October's totals.

--->> As you all switch your systems back to your own account, don't forget to correctly spell your account name/folding name, and don't forget to also switch back to your own key. If you retained the original confirmation email from Pande/Stanford, then your key will be in there.

Let's see what the next 48 hours will bring!

ROWARRR!!
Last edited by BIF on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 am

Frankie made "The Juggernaut" his bitch. ;)
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:30 am

Krogoth wrote:

LOL, not my choice of words, but hilarious! :lol:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:41 pm

BIF wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

LOL, not my choice of words, but hilarious! :lol:

Beating the points goal by 10% is not exactly "blowing it away", but still very significant. Thanks for the big contributors (you know who you are) towards mid October to push us over the top. :)

Based on the catch-up list, I think an interesting target will be UGN for next year. I will be going back to the UGN collective and it will have a year to restore some distance between itself and Frankie. I don't fold on the 660 by default (power consumption and GPU longevity concerns), so the distance should not be more than 30million by next year? We will see what Stanford throws out in terms of WUs in the next few months.

It is going to be tough to beat this year's total assuming not much inflation of points.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:58 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Beating the points goal by 10% is not exactly "blowing it away"...

True, but that depends on who's goal we're talking about.

I thought 20 million was downright ipso facto nutso, and was more of the mind that 5 million would be more attainable.

So for MY GOAL, we blew it away. The fact that we made the insane goal, was just...insane! :lol:

Best of luck over on that other team...

I am working on getting a couple of new GPUs to throw down with, because my goal is to pass Frankie before next October. :D

It's just difficult to ACTUALLY LEARN ANYTHING useful about what's available, because nobody is showing us F@H figures and (apparently) Damage Labs isn't testing it anymore for reviews. :(

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 am

Anandtech still does tests for Folding when reviewing cards. And they are mostly accurate in terms of actual folding performance - for example I was getting significantly more PPDs with my Titan with x17 WUs (around 130-160k, sometimes more) than with the 290x (which right now produces around 110k with same WU's).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:38 am

BIF wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Beating the points goal by 10% is not exactly "blowing it away"...

True, but that depends on who's goal we're talking about.

I thought 20 million was downright ipso facto nutso, and was more of the mind that 5 million would be more attainable.

So for MY GOAL, we blew it away. The fact that we made the insane goal, was just...insane! :lol:

Ha! Well, I wasn't completely PUI when I put out that number. Let me list my "logic" here:
  1. Last year's goal of 5M was nearly met. So a reasonable goal given all the big units is to at least maintain it. Even with people dropping off, some of us who folded last year may have upgraded their hardware (my GPU changed from GT 240 to GTX 660 8))
  2. Both you and Khali are new folders, and with the mention of x17 and potentially 2-3 million per person, that's 6M potential points. So doubling last year's goal of 5M would be too easy? :o
  3. Fuzzhead, one of TR's top 3 producers, committed to move part of his farm, which I also assume 100k/day. Another potential 3M.
  4. So hoping for may be 1 or 2 more GPU x17 folders, the next big number would be 20M. I therefore put that out as a stretch goal.
  5. Towards the middle of the month, I would have thought that we might make 15M after all, but obviously we got a couple of heavy hitters (OMG 32 threads!), and more than a few past folders jumping back in the fray. Now 20M started to look feasible.
  6. And now, at the end of it, we may beat this by 2 more million.

Foldingforum, Overclockers (?), and the H all have threads talking about performance of individual WU types too I believe.

BTW, somebody should take a picture in about a week to capture this year's record-breaking menacing pattern on the graphs. May be do the weekly and monthly too? :p

Congratulations everyone! Let's make that final push!

BIF
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:25 am

Aahhh, your logic makes sense now and I guess it's not so insane after all! :D

But I'm not that new...I folded for Frankie last year; it was my first month folding and I didn't even have my own key yet! :) But with my older hardware I was only able to make 6-7K PPD on the workstation and 21K PPD on the laptop. My new workstation makes 110+ PPD and I no longer fold on the laptop once PPD fell off to about 8K. Just not worth the trouble and extra heat.

I will make a note to myself to take screen prints of the graphs after the last checkpoint tonight.

And...based on the progress of my current work units, it looks like my last Halloween WUs will end this evening near the same time as each other, and both an hour or two before the 9 pm checkpoint (10 pm ET). The timing will work well; as soon as the last trick-or-treaters leave, I can probably switch over to my account. I rarely get any a4 WUs that take less than 22 hours, and my x17 WUs always take 7-to-8, so I won't be able to complete any work units in time for the midnight checkpoint.

I plan to take backups, get caught up on Windows, Java, Acrobat, and all manner of updates (it's been 3 weeks), and/or maybe install Windows 8.1 before restarting folding. So there will be a flurry of maintenance. :)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:58 am

BIF wrote:
I will make a note to myself to take screen prints of the graphs after the last checkpoint tonight.
I think the complete picture can only be captured after Frankie goes back to sleep? ;)

BIF wrote:
I plan to take backups, get caught up on Windows, Java, Acrobat, and all manner of updates (it's been 3 weeks), and/or maybe install Windows 8.1 before restarting folding. So there will be a flurry of maintenance. :)
I ended up deferring my RAM upgrade too. So I am going to do that after this.

BIF
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
BIF wrote:
I think the complete picture can only be captured after Frankie goes back to sleep? ;)

You are correct; should take picture sometime around US Thanksgiving... 8)

BIF wrote:
I ended up deferring my RAM upgrade too. So I am going to do that after this.

Haha, yep. But I won't wait too long; Somebody passed me while my ship was in drydock, so I'll have to get crackin'!

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:14 am

22,225,514 is the grand total. And silly me was worried we would not make it to 20 million let alone go past it.

Great job done by all. Lets do it again next year! :lol:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 am

Khali wrote:
22,225,514 is the grand total. And silly me was worried we would not make it to 20 million let alone go past it.
It looked a little dicey at first when we were doing 600K per day earlier in the month. Thanks to "mini beasts" like the 32-thread monster, Frankie became the big beast and was very scary indeed. :)

BIF
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I took a screen print of the production graph yesterday.

I almost had to hide under the bed it was so scary! :o

Thank you again to all who participated. What fun!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Can someone make this even scarier with their mad Photochop skillz? ;)

I also checked the scores today, and noticed another scary bit. :o
 Rank    Rank     Points     Points    Points  Points  Points      WUs     First
 Team    Project  Last 24hr  24hr Avg  Today   Week    Total       Total   Record
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 10      1,337    2,549      353,295   2,549   10,807  38,845,608  25,737  07.13.04

Monthly Production
 Month  Points      WUs
--------------------------
 11.13  170,860     28
 10.13  22,225,514  2,101
 09.13  180,780     42
Our grand total for this campaign, including the month before and after October, comes to 22,577,154.