Coming back + second rig, best path?

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

Coming back + second rig, best path?

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am

So I've got the system in my signature (FX-6100 @ 4.1 ghz, Radeon 6950) - when I stopped folding SMP was kind of 'meh' and Nvidia GPU killed it - I'm not sure this is still the case. When I glanced back in there were giant SMP units my CPU wasn't good enough for and I assume that hasn't changed either.

How is the point return on SMP, and what's the best GPU bet if that's a good path?
I'm going to be building a second rig soon, mostly as secondary storage and maybe to also hook up to my TV so I don't want a rig to sound like a jet engine, but it wouldn't be too bad if I geared the hardware of that rig towards folding somewhat.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Coming back + second rig, best path?

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm

pikaporeon wrote:So I've got the system in my signature (FX-6100 @ 4.1 ghz, Radeon 6950) - when I stopped folding SMP was kind of 'meh' and Nvidia GPU killed it - I'm not sure this is still the case. When I glanced back in there were giant SMP units my CPU wasn't good enough for and I assume that hasn't changed either. How is the point return on SMP, and what's the best GPU bet if that's a good path?
SMP? Symmetric multiprocessing? I don't fold (and have never) so I think I'm missing some context here. "Nvidia GPU killed it"?
pikaporeon wrote:I'm going to be building a second rig soon, mostly as secondary storage and maybe to also hook up to my TV so I don't want a rig to sound like a jet engine, but it wouldn't be too bad if I geared the hardware of that rig towards folding somewhat.
Hm. Maybe I should just reply to bump your thread. Having no experience with folding it's difficult for me to advise. I know the GPU compute performance of the Kepler series is mediocre at best, at least until you get into GK110-based parts. I think everyone is running Radeons for GPGPU stuff now.
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: the armpit of Texas

Re: Coming back + second rig, best path?

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:51 pm

auxy wrote:"Nvidia GPU killed it"?

The folding compute performance of NVidia GPUs is miles ahead of what any enthusiast-affordable CPU setup can reach. Ergo, NVidia GPUs killed SMP WRT folding.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20099
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Coming back + second rig, best path?

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
auxy wrote:"Nvidia GPU killed it"?

The folding compute performance of NVidia GPUs is miles ahead of what any enthusiast-affordable CPU setup can reach. Ergo, NVidia GPUs killed SMP WRT folding.

Oh! I see. Thanks Captain Ned!
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: the armpit of Texas

Re: Coming back + second rig, best path?

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 am

AMD GPUs are also doing their fair share of GPU folding.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 pm

Re: Coming back + second rig, best path?

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

awesome. I ran into some PSU and bluescreen issues this week, hopefully should be chipping in a bit now as the WUs start crunching
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.


Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests