Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Oh my, things are looking up

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

For the past couple of months I have been really disappointed in my PPD numbers. I tried several things to improve matters with no success. I hooked up with another GTX 680 owner over on the F@H forums for some advice. Good thing I did. After trying several things he concluded that my version of the client had issues and suggested I finish the WU's I was on and then remove the client and do a fresh down load and install. For some reason my client got "stuck" with the CPU locked into just using two cores of my i5-3570k and my GTX 680 only running at about half of what it should. :x

I did so earlier today and presto I am finally getting x17 WU's which I had not gotten at all even after setting the client to advanced over a month ago. Plus my CPU WU's are running faster, or so it seems to me. It will be interesting to see what kinds of PPD numbers I put out now. :o

So, if your not seeing the numbers you think you should be getting you might giving a fresh install of the client a try.

Almost forgot to mention, I also rolled back my Nvidia GPU drivers to v327.23. Anything newer and OpenCL takes a big performance hit, hence slower folding.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Oh my, things are looking up

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Khali wrote:
I did so earlier today and presto I am finally getting x17 WU's which I had not gotten at all even after setting the client to advanced over a month ago. Plus my CPU WU's are running faster, or so it seems to me. It will be interesting to see what kinds of PPD numbers I put out now. :o

It may also be that there may be more x17 WUs available these days. Towards the end of Frankie's campaign, my lowly 660 started to get a stream of x17 so my ppd jumped. Earlier in the month no matter I set it to advanced or beta I would not get them anyway.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm

I thought that as well. But I had it set to advanced a month or so before our Frankie run and got nothing up until today after I did the fresh install. It might be coincidence but from the looks of things I have to doubt it at this point. My CPU side of things is running faster so something was not working like it should have been.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:03 am

Under the hood at Berkeley
November 13, 2013 by Greg Bowman ·

The Bowman lab at the University of California, Berkeley recently purchased its first Folding@home server and I thought I would share a little bit about what’s under the hood. The main purpose of this machine is to serve and store Folding@home work units, so it is equipped with a dozen 4TB drives. Two drives are dedicated to redundant storage (RAID-6 for experts who are curious to know), leaving us with 40 TB of storage space for collecting data. Many of the projects I run take 10-100GB of disk space, so conservatively we’re now prepared to run 400 projects! The machine also has four Gigabit Ethernet connections for sending/receiving data. Another highlight is a dozen 2.0 GHz cores and 64GB of memory, allowing us to run some of our analysis locally. The bulk of our analysis will still be conducted on clusters at Berkeley though, where we can parallelize many of the steps across hundreds of processors.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"