Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Two Khali87's on the TR team?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 pm

I see some one decided to be funny and start folding using my name. Taking Khali87 then adding a _ on the end. I'm just curious why some one would bother?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Two Khali87's on the TR team?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Are you sure it isn't one of your own with a messed up configuration file? IIRC (I may be mistaken) the stats servers substitute underscores for spaces and special characters in the user name.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Are you sure it isn't one of your own with a messed up configuration file? IIRC (I may be mistaken) the stats servers substitute underscores for spaces and special characters in the user name.

I'm positive. That was my first thought as well. I went and checked my laptop looking for just that, thinking I had made a mistake when changing back from the Frankenbot run, and found nothing wrong. Plus if you look up Khali87 on the Folding@Home donors page you will see two active clients running. That would be my desktop and my laptop.

http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Khali87

Unless there is some way for my laptop to be showing up on my account and as one of its own I have to conclude its a third party using my name.

Like I said, its not a big deal. I'm just curious what the point is.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:42 am

Do you run SMP and GPU work units on one of your machines?
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:48 pm

farmpuma wrote:
Do you run SMP and GPU work units on one of your machines?

Yes, my gaming system runs both. Before you say that's why I am showing two clients that's not it. I already asked over at the F@H forum and the number of clients is just that, the clients/application, not the number of processes being run on one system. From what I am told you could be running four or more GPU's in a system and it should only show as one client.

Then again the person I sent the PM to could talk a good game but not have a clue what he is talking about. But I have gotten good info from them before.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:17 am

In a attempt to be absolutely sure something was not messed with the client on my laptop I shut it down yesterday after finishing a WU. Khali87_ is still turning in CPU WU, two in the time my laptop was powered off. The WU's finished on my desktop are showing up where the should be for Khali87.

So I have ruled out my systems with a incorrect ID for F@H.

Who ever you are, using the Khali87_ name, thanks for contributing to the project. You might try to be more original with your name the next time. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 am

A few years ago I had someone else fold under my name for a while as a thank-you for a favor.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
A few years ago I had someone else fold under my name for a while as a thank-you for a favor.

That's cool. I would be happy with that if I knew about it and the points were going to me, in this case they are not. Not knowing had me wondering if I had set up my account wrong on my computers. Eliminating that as a possibility cost me a days worth of F@H work on my laptop.

I'm happy they are folding and helping with the project, as I have said before. Just curious what the point is of using my name.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am

I show two clients for me. I run CPU and GPU, one slot of each and no others; haven't run folding on the laptop since July because the points were so low as to make it inefficient.

I looked for Khali87A_ and Khali87a_ and saw no points for either. And the Extreme Overclocking site only shows Khali87, no other iteration or spelling.

Where are you seeing "Khali87a_"?

Edit: I did find one "Khali87_" without any "a". First day of production was November 1st, so yeah...right after Frankie.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 am

BIF wrote:
I show two clients for me. I run CPU and GPU, one slot of each and no others; haven't run folding on the laptop since July because the points were so low as to make it inefficient.

I looked for Khali87A_ and Khali87a_ and saw no points for either. And the Extreme Overclocking site only shows Khali87, no other iteration or spelling.

Where are you seeing "Khali87a_"?

Edit: I did find one "Khali87_" without any "a". First day of production was November 1st, so yeah...right after Frankie.

the "a" wasn't part of what he was talking about. Just the underscore. Khali87 and Khali87_
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Well now, seems like I got a little egg on my face after all. Not near as much as the guy over at the F@H forums that gave me some bad info though. Never mind what I reported earlier in this thread, each processor running a WU shows up as a client on the F@H stats page.

Turns out I did mess up and left a space after my account name. The part that caused all the confusion is the fact the mistake was on my desktop and my GPU WU's were showing up where they should be but my CPU WU's were going to the new Khali87_ account with the space at the end of the name. How this is possible I have no clue. You would think that both GPU and CPU clients running from the same control application on my PC would both show up on the same F@H account. But the way it was working my CPU WU's were being credited to Khaili87_ while the GPU WU's were going to Khali87. That makes no sense at all to me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Well, I suppose it is more flexible that way. You might have someone who wants to split the CPU/GPU points across two accounts, for example. I do find it kind of silly that they don't ignore trailing spaces though.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well, I suppose it is more flexible that way. You might have someone who wants to split the CPU/GPU points across two accounts, for example. I do find it kind of silly that they don't ignore trailing spaces though.

If it was set up to split the GPU and CPU to different accounts would be one thing. But as is I don't see how that's possible. If you go to your control panel and look at your identity settings there is no obvious way to split things up by folding slot. I'm not even sure your supposed to be able to split it up by slots. I'm thinking my client just glitched out for some reason.