Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

lazl0
Gerbil
Topic Author

SMP'ers Unite?

Tue May 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Been folding for TR utilizing only SMP cores since day one. Anyone else out there SMP exclusive? :o
-----
Last edited by lazl0 on Tue May 20, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: SMP'ers Unite?

Tue May 20, 2014 1:57 pm

With temperatures warming up I have shutdown my GPU client.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 20, 2014 11:06 pm

My GPU generates about 110K PPD. 6-core CPU only would produce only 27K PPD.

I will always run both. As the summer gets hotter, I too may decide to shut down, so as not to heat up the house too much. Depends on how hot the summer gets of course, but I'm afraid that warmer ambient temps might contribute to shorter component lifespans, so if I decide to shut down, it would be a total shutdown until September.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 21, 2014 12:38 am

After several years among the top 20 TR producers, I eventually had to back off due to the heat output and cost of electricity. I only fold off and on these days; mostly in the winter when the extra heat works with the furnace instead of against the AC, or when I have a new system to burn in. I've always been CPU-only -- SMP since the multi-core Athlon64s/Opterons came out, and single-core before that (mostly Athlon XPs, with a couple of K6-3s also in the mix).

I mostly stopped gaming on the PC before GPU folding debuted, so I tend to have pretty wimpy GPUs that aren't much good for folding. GPU folding on Linux (what I normally run as my OS) was also problematic until (relatively) recently. So these two factors conspired to keep me from ever really getting into GPU folding...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lazl0
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

In comparison, although not as powerful algorithmically, what level of heat do your GPU's produce versus your CPUs?

BIF wrote:
6-core CPU only would produce only 27K PPD.

Wow, thats quite a sad return for a workhorse proc. I'm guessing thats a hex-core 6/12 HT?

just brew it! wrote:
I mostly stopped gaming on the PC before GPU folding debuted, so I tend to have pretty wimpy GPUs that aren't much good for folding. GPU folding on Linux (what I normally run as my OS) was also problematic until (relatively) recently. So these two factors conspired to keep me from ever really getting into GPU folding...

With few exceptions I'm basically in the same boat, mostly BSD variants. However I have no intention of going the GPU route, I enjoy being old & cranky & reminiscing about the good 'ol SMP days.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed May 21, 2014 2:27 pm

lazl0 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

In comparison, although not as powerful algorithmically, what level of heat do your GPU's produce versus your CPUs?
I can definitely hear more noise with the GPU fan spinning up, the UPS display tells me that the folding GPU draws 100W more power than just CPU folding.

lazl0 wrote:
I enjoy being old & cranky & reminiscing about the good 'ol SMP days.
I bought my 875K partly because I can do bigadv at the time. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.