Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

my tv died! Help?

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:42 am

We were watching ice skating and the TV just turned off. It's got no lights on, no nothing. I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. Didn't fix it. TV is a 50" Samsung plasma...any ideas?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Re: my tv died! Help?

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 am

You didn't have a power surge or anything did you, hopefully you have a surge protector. Get out the extension cord and try plugging it into a different socket?
Also did you hear any noises when it turned off?
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 am

It's plugged into a surge protector; I've tried different sockets but next step is an extension cord to the wall.
There was the usual power down sound, but instead of leaving the little red light on like it usually does, the light went out and nothing's happened after that. The other stuff that was plugged into the surge protector (360, phone, modem) are all fine.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 am

Sounds like it might be the power supply? What brand set do you have? If its a Pioneer i think they replace the power supplies under certain circumstance... but im not too sure so you would have to research it yourself.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 am

I guess I'll find a TV repair place *sigh* It's a Samsung...about 2 years old now. but I bought it open box, no warranty :(

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 am

Thats a shame, you have my condolences. If the estimated repair is too high to justify repairing it, consider getting yourself a new plasma (if you can afford it). An in-law just purchased a 58" Sammy from Costco for $1600.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:07 am

sadly, I really can't. I'm paying off 2800 worth of reptile supplies and cages--trying to get a snake business started up. I got a ticket in for out of warranty service and we'll see what the damage is.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:49 am

I know it's a plasma and not an LCD, but you should check out the sticky Samsung LCD thread at the top of the forum. Maybe your model has the same problem.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.