Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm

The bonuses are starting to kick in. This new SMP client is giving the GPU client a buttkicking it would appear.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=500232
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:27 pm

My fastest machine has had 3 a3 WU's fail to upload on time or at all. One took 45 extra hours to upload, the other 2 are still trying after I forget how long.

Academia.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
My fastest machine has had 3 a3 WU's fail to upload on time or at all. One took 45 extra hours to upload, the other 2 are still trying after I forget how long.

Academia.

Well I got an a1 core a couple of hours ago and my CPU is at 50% util... Very annoying how the a1s only use 4 threads. I want full utilization!
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
The bonuses are starting to kick in. This new SMP client is giving the GPU client a buttkicking it would appear.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=500232

How much better are we talking about here? On my Athlon II X2 box with Linux VM, the old client is doing 1200-1600ppd while the projected output of the A3 units are ~2000 ppd. What's a 9600GSO doing these days? So up to which GPU can the new SMP units (with bonus) match the points? On a lower end dual core setup, does the GTX260 still give an advantage?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
How much better are we talking about here? On my Athlon II X2 box with Linux VM, the old client is doing 1200-1600ppd while the projected output of the A3 units are ~2000 ppd. What's a 9600GSO doing these days? So up to which GPU can the new SMP units (with bonus) match the points? On a lower end dual core setup, does the GTX260 still give an advantage?

I'm not sure honestly. Pinhead said somewhere above that his PPD is around 15k with the a3 cores on an i7920 clocked at 3.8 (which is exactly what I have). Last I checked, which was months ago, my GTX285 was putting out 8k to 9k PPD. We'll just have to keep a watch here to see what happens. This aggravating a1 core my rig just got is gonna slow me down, but as of 3pm today I was over 7k. :o

Oh, and to all the gerbils... REJOICE!!! I finally got off my butt and kicked off the GPU2 client on my 9800GTX. That should bump us up another 7k PPD. It would be nice if MTL and SOG were to chime in and let us know how they've been doing with all those free parts we gave them. :wink:

I can't help but wonder who is still folding considering how low our numbers have been recently...

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:15 pm

Why aren't you folding with the -BIGADV switch, which should you net you about 24,000+ppd? My i860 @ 3.5GHz is getting around 22,500ppd with the -BIGADV switch and I don't have to worry about the client picking up the lowly A1 units.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:18 pm

flybywire wrote:
Why aren't you folding with the -BIGADV switch, which should you net you about 24,000+ppd? My i860 @ 3.5GHz is getting around 22,500ppd with the -BIGADV switch and I don't have to worry about the client picking up the lowly A1 units.

I am! And I still get a1 cores...

This is what I am currently using " -verbosity 9 -bigadv -advmethods -smp"

Let me know if I should adjust.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Ahh, the switch should be '-smp 8' or '-smp 7', depending on whether you want to reserve one core for a gpu client. Are you running this in a VM?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 pm

flybywire wrote:
Ahh, the switch should be '-smp 8' or '-smp 7', depending on whether you want to reserve one core for a gpu client. Are you running this in a VM?

Nope it's in Windows 7 64 bit. From what I can tell, if you leave it as just "-smp", it uses the max number of cores available. I have the SMP client and a GPU2 client running on this rig. Right now they are just brawling with each other for priority. I haven't set affinity or anything.

My real concern is how to get rid of these a1 cores. They're messing with my progress. :wink:

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:

And now the count is 3 failed uploads, and after extended waits for upload attempts, the 6.29 client downloads an a1 WU.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:

Nope it's in Windows 7 64 bit. From what I can tell, if you leave it as just "-smp", it uses the max number of cores available. I have the SMP client and a GPU2 client running on this rig. Right now they are just brawling with each other for priority. I haven't set affinity or anything.

My real concern is how to get rid of these a1 cores. They're messing with my progress. :wink:

As long as you leave just the '-smp' switch, and not specify the number of cores to use, you will continue to get the A1 units in your mix. The only way that I know to get around it is to run a vm and allocate seven cores to the vm and leave the last core to the gpu client.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:10 pm

flybywire wrote:
As long as you leave just the '-smp' switch, and not specify the number of cores to use, you will continue to get the A1 units in your mix. The only way that I know to get around it is to run a vm and allocate seven cores to the vm and leave the last core to the gpu client.

Fair enough. I switched -SMP 8 back on. I'm avoiding VMs if I can help it. Supposedly VMs don't help with these new WUs and win7 anyways...

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
I am! And I still get a1 cores...

This is what I am currently using " -verbosity 9 -bigadv -advmethods -smp"

Let me know if I should adjust.

I wonder if -bigadv (big advanced methods) and -advmethods (advanced methods) are conflicting and the client is defaulting to the lowest common denominator, -advmethods? Then again, it may just be a temporary shortage of a3 work units.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:

Fair enough. I switched -SMP 8 back on. I'm avoiding VMs if I can help it. Supposedly VMs don't help with these new WUs and win7 anyways...

I am running a Xubuntu vm within Win7 and the client works just fine.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

And now the count is 3 failed uploads, and after extended waits for upload attempts, the 6.29 client downloads an a1 WU.

While the server status appears normal and accepting uploads for both of the a3 servers (130.237.232.140 and 171.64.65.54), it also appeared normal during the time period that server 171.67.108.21 was off in the weeds. I imagine the a3 servers are both using the new and 'improved' software, but they may not have yet received the band-aid which was recently applied to the 171.67.108.21 server.

Still, it is perplexing that flybywire is seeing normal a3 activity. Have you both checked your log files to make certain the a3 servers are not giving you the same work unit over and over?
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:13 pm

flybywire wrote:

I am running a Xubuntu vm within Win7 and the client works just fine.

According to Pintobean the new cores run better in Win7 than they do in VM. That's why I'm not messing with VMs. Are you having a different experience?

So far today I am only getting a3 cores, so it appears things are working pretty well. I guess it will take several more days though to understand if the "-SMP 8" flag really forces a3s and keeps me away from a1s...

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 pm

I just bought this for folding. Seems like a good power to points ratio card. Anyone think there is a better deal out there? I can cancel the order before Monday.

farmpuma

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 pm

The 240 GT you have there looks to be the 40nm process version of my 55nm G92 based 9600 GSO. As such it should run a bit cooler and use a bit less power than mine. I think my 9600 GSO is a very good points per day bang for electric bill buck value, but I am a little biased and I haven't seen many hard numbers for the 260s or 275s.

On most work units my GSO makes about 3,000 ppd using the 191.07 driver. In non-folding mode the system draws 119 watts using an 800x600 display showing Asus PC Probe, FahMon, the Win clock (date and time), and Windows explorer minimized.

A 472 point WU hits the 3,000 ppd mark with highly fluctuating power usage. Most of the time the power varies between 126 and 137 watts with occasional spikes up to 160.

A 783 point WU makes 3,541 ppd at 164 watts.

A 353 point WU makes 3,588 ppd at 160 watts.

A 450 point WU makes a little more than 6,000 ppd at 152 watts.

If I didn't have an 8800 GT that needs to be RMAed, I would be highly tempted by the 240 GT you linked. Although a part of me wonders, "Since I'm already using 100 to 120 watts for the support platform, how much more power would a 260 or 275 use?"

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 pm

farmpuma wrote:
The 240 GT you have there looks to be the 40nm process version of my 55nm G92 based 9600 GSO. As such it should run a bit cooler and use a bit less power than mine. I think my 9600 GSO is a very good points per day bang for electric bill buck value, but I am a little biased and I haven't seen many hard numbers for the 260s or 275s.

On most work units my GSO makes about 3,000 ppd using the 191.07 driver. In non-folding mode the system draws 119 watts using an 800x600 display showing Asus PC Probe, FahMon, the Win clock (date and time), and Windows explorer minimized.

A 472 point WU hits the 3,000 ppd mark with highly fluctuating power usage. Most of the time the power varies between 126 and 137 watts with occasional spikes up to 160.

A 783 point WU makes 3,541 ppd at 164 watts.

A 353 point WU makes 3,588 ppd at 160 watts.

A 450 point WU makes a little more than 6,000 ppd at 152 watts.

If I didn't have an 8800 GT that needs to be RMAed, I would be highly tempted by the 240 GT you linked. Although a part of me wonders, "Since I'm already using 100 to 120 watts for the support platform, how much more power would a 260 or 275 use?"
This means points wise the A3's on dual core systems is still not good enough to beat GPU folding. On my Athlon II X2 250 @3.0GHz, the A3's are projected to do 2000-2200ppd, a few hundred points than the A1/A2's. If the 9600GSO/GT 240 is doing 3000+ ppd, then SMP folding is still not as good. But at about 120-130W at the wall on my system, how many more watts can I expect putting a GT240 in? GJ can you try find out?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
This means points wise the A3's on dual core systems is still not good enough to beat GPU folding. On my Athlon II X2 250 @3.0GHz, the A3's are projected to do 2000-2200ppd, a few hundred points than the A1/A2's. If the 9600GSO/GT 240 is doing 3000+ ppd, then SMP folding is still not as good. But at about 120-130W at the wall on my system, how many more watts can I expect putting a GT240 in? GJ can you try find out?

Yep I'll try out the GT240 and get you some wattage values. My rig (in sig below) is currently drawing about 475 watts folding with the SMP client and the GPU2 client. That seems like a LOT. :o

I have another computer that is running an Atlon X2 5600 (2.8GHZ). It's running integrated graphics on a 780G mobo. I'll test the power as it is now, then add the GT240 and test power, then run the folding client and test power. If there is anything else you're interested in let me know.

Changing gears... Am I maxing out the points on the a3 cores now? I'm only getting around 10k PPD. I thought it was supposed to be MUCH more than that?

farmpuma

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Yep I'll try out the GT240 and get you some wattage values. My rig (in sig below) is currently drawing about 475 watts folding with the SMP client and the GPU2 client. That seems like a LOT. :o

I have another computer that is running an Atlon X2 5600 (2.8GHZ). It's running integrated graphics on a 780G mobo. I'll test the power as it is now, then add the GT240 and test power, then run the folding client and test power. If there is anything else you're interested in let me know.

Yeah, 475 watts IS a lot, but it also sounds about right. My son's 9800 GTX+ (128 cores vrs 240 cores for the 285) on a C2D Q6600 with 4GBs of ram and two hard drives powered by a Corsair HX520 draws just over 250 watts while only GPU folding. I still haven't been able to interest him SMP folding.

I look forward to learning the wattage difference between the GT 240 and the integrated 780G graphics.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

That will be great. I can re-measure and give more formal numbers on my Athlon II X2 250 on a 785G. By that time the 10 WUs required should be done and I'll have real points rolling in. Once you get the delta for adding a GT240 and get the ppd numbers, we can find out if the extra power consumption is worth the increase in ppd that it gives.

If you feel like it, the next set of numbers to try is to see if SMP+GPU will give more points or the contention between a GPU2 client and one of the CPU core. This one will take more time so I'll say only do it when the baseline numbers are gathered and you really feel like doing it.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:47 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Changing gears... Am I maxing out the points on the a3 cores now? I'm only getting around 10k PPD. I thought it was supposed to be MUCH more than that?

If you're doing units 6011 - 6025 then the ppd sounds about right. Units 2681 - 2683 are the big bonus units, where you should be netting 20k - 25kppd.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 pm

flybywire wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

If you're doing units 6011 - 6025 then the ppd sounds about right. Units 2681 - 2683 are the big bonus units, where you should be netting 20k - 25kppd.

Arrrggghhh, I got another a1 today. Here are my current flags, "-verbosity 9 -bigadv -smp 8".

I don't think I'm getting the 2681 to 2683. IIRC I've been getting 6XXXs, and a mix of a1s. Currently chewing on a 2653. :-?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Which f@h client version are you running? You should be running 6.29 found here. Also, have you entered your passkey into the config?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 pm

flybywire wrote:
Which f@h client version are you running? You should be running 6.29 found here. Also, have you entered your passkey into the config?

I'm getting bonuses on the 6XXX WUs, as you can see in my stats. Shouldn't that mean that I am running 6.29 and my passkey is being recognized?

To answer your question, though, I just donwnloaded and installed 6.29 last week. And I got a passkey. I will double check when I get home to make sure nothing squirrely is going on.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 pm

farmpuma wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

While the server status appears normal and accepting uploads for both of the a3 servers (130.237.232.140 and 171.64.65.54), it also appeared normal during the time period that server 171.67.108.21 was off in the weeds. I imagine the a3 servers are both using the new and 'improved' software, but they may not have yet received the band-aid which was recently applied to the 171.67.108.21 server.

Still, it is perplexing that flybywire is seeing normal a3 activity. Have you both checked your log files to make certain the a3 servers are not giving you the same work unit over and over?

I'm not getting repetition, except for a WU that my machine puked on which I got again about 3 WU's later.

They're definitely screwed up on more than a few of their servers. There was also a period when they were updating user statistics on the hour and doing it, according to them, minutes before the end of the hour. That lasted a few days, and now they're not completing them until almost 15 minutes past the top of the hour. Not that it means much in itself, but it's a pattern of claims and failures that is long established.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Arrrggghhh, I got another a1 today. Here are my current flags, "-verbosity 9 -bigadv -smp 8".

I don't think I'm getting the 2681 to 2683. IIRC I've been getting 6XXXs, and a mix of a1s. Currently chewing on a 2653. :-?

Try it without -verbosity 9 and see what happens.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:

Try it without -verbosity 9 and see what happens.

OK now I'm down to "-bigadv -smp 8" flags. I'm at 80% on this 2653 WU, so will be a couple of hours before I get another chance to pull an a3. Update will follow.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:54 pm

It's nice to see our numbers start to climb again.
Seeing them so low was depressing.
Sorry to hear of the annoyances you fellows have been coming across.