Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

CSS Background Problem

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:08 am

I'm having a problem with my website that involves CSS (I think it does). The CSS in my site is messed up around the side navigation. For some reason the white background is being cut off somewhere early. When the page is viewed with IE everything is fine, but when viewed with Firebird, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, etc... it looks weird. Also towards the bottom of the page when viewed through different browsers (800x600) a navigation bar appears how can I get rid of it? Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying problem?

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:31 am

Can you post your page up or the code to go with it? It's easier to find out the problem if we can visualize the problem.
*yawn*

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:46 am

etilena wrote:
Can you post your page up or the code to go with it? It's easier to find out the problem if we can visualize the problem.

He did... click on the word "site" in his post. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:00 am

just brew it! wrote:
etilena wrote:

Sorry about that, with the blue theme for TR, I can't really see if a website is linked to a particular word. :wink:

I'm running my screen res at 1280 x 1024. When maximized, in IE, the bottom part doesnt extend all the way and cuts off after your form ends. In Firebird, I see your problem under 800 res, but under 1280 res, it looks like what IE looks like in 800 res.

If this is the only page using the CSS sheet, then you might want to add a 'height' attribute to both your "rightcontent" and "leftcontent" to fix the height. Give it a try and let me know if there's still some problems.

Edit: Add the 'height' attribute to your "main" descriptor. The halfway cutting off occurs in Mozilla because it uses your "rightcontent" as a benchmark, once the content ends, it no longer displays a background. With IE, it uses your "leftcontent" (as it is longer) as a benchmark, and ends at the end of it. I hope I make sense. :wink:
*yawn*

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
etilena wrote:

Perhaps etilena should consider making the link clearer. like "Click Here to go to my site"
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:14 pm

I believe I fixed the CSS background problem (see site), but now a new problem has come up. When the page is viewed with IE through a screen resolution of 800x600 a horizontal navigation bar appears. I've tried to get rid of it with no success so what would you guys recommend I do?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:23 pm

malebolgia wrote:
I believe I fixed the CSS background problem (see site), but now a new problem has come up. When the page is viewed with IE through a screen resolution of 800x600 a horizontal navigation bar appears. I've tried to get rid of it with no success so what would you guys recommend I do?

Do you mean the scroll bar?

I don't think there's much you can do about that... if the window is narrower than the graphic, you get a scrollbar. That's normal browser behavior.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:40 pm

Never mind I fixed it.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:26 pm

Well I just got confrimation from my friend and she likes the site. So now I'm faced with converting the old site into the new one. One area really bugs me and it's the property listings. I'm not sure if I should use the format or create a different one to go with the new site? Can you guys help me out again?

Here is an example of the current property listings format: click here.
Just in case you forgot here is the new design: click here