Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Re: Supreme Commander 2

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 pm

I don't get all the starcraft love. Its a rehash of the greatest RTS ever made Warcraft 2 which came out a couple of years prior to Starcraft. Starcraft is just Warcraft 2 in space nothing more.

I gave supcom a try on my 4870 for the first time the other day. Another year or two and I will get good frame rates all the time :lol:

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Hance wrote:
I don't get all the starcraft love. Its a rehash of the greatest RTS ever made Warcraft 2 which came out a couple of years prior to Starcraft. Starcraft is just Warcraft 2 in space nothing more.

I gave supcom a try on my 4870 for the first time the other day. Another year or two and I will get good frame rates all the time :lol:

starcraft and warcraft are nothing alike. unless warcraft 3 was nothing like warcraft 2.

i loved starcraft. hated warcraft 3.
--------------

maybe "nothing alike" is a bit far.. but Risk and Monopoly are both board games.... so they're something alike?
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm fairly certain that Dune II was my first RTS game. That was two years before Warcraft was created.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:50 pm

danny e. wrote:
starcraft and warcraft are nothing alike. unless warcraft 3 was nothing like warcraft 2.i loved starcraft. hated warcraft 3.

All Starcraft is, is Warcraft 2 in space. Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 are completely different games. To this day Warcraft 2 is my all time favorite game. I still bust it out and play it every year or so. I am like you and couldn't stand Warcraft 3.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:58 am

War3 is like a real-time strategy RPG. Or Diablo where you can control and build a party. I dunno. Of the many things that War3 was, "good" isn't one of them. War2 is good and Starcraft, by its War2 heritage (and almost innumerable improvements) is startlingly good even today. The AI could use some work, but it's still my favorite PC game ever.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

stevetamis
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:29 am

Yes, I played in a single player mode. So far it is very nice, I like a lot from what i see those guy really think sci-fi and get out of the standard game.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:26 am

So did anyone get the Supcom2 demo that is out on steam. I only played one or two of the tutorial missions but it seemed to run better than it did for Supcom1.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 am

Hance wrote:
danny e. wrote:
starcraft and warcraft are nothing alike. unless warcraft 3 was nothing like warcraft 2.i loved starcraft. hated warcraft 3.

All Starcraft is, is Warcraft 2 in space. Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 are completely different games. To this day Warcraft 2 is my all time favorite game. I still bust it out and play it every year or so. I am like you and couldn't stand Warcraft 3.

Not trying to be rude, but I feel that Starcraft, aside from the UI design, which was limited by the 486s we first played SC on, was completely different than Warcraft 2, and Warcraft 3 was more like Starcraft in crappy 3D. What I'm focusing on here is that with Warcraft 2, each side differed only in cosmetics, and there were only two. With Starcraft, the three sides differed in every detail that they could differ on, which was amazing fun and at the same time caused years of balancing for Blizzard.

DancingWind
Gerbil

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:11 pm

tfp wrote:
So did anyone get the Supcom2 demo that is out on steam. I only played one or two of the tutorial missions but it seemed to run better than it did for Supcom1.

I did ... first impresion dumbed down. Not bad but definetly dumbed down. Smaller scale ... weapon range is kinda short - seems like yopu havbe to stand next to anything to attack. It probably will be a great game .. but in a genericRTS sortof way. on the other hand I loved the new Ships :D much more realistic and I hate the new Aircrats .. for gods sakes .. if youre going all howercraft way atleast make models that resemble hovercraft (as in jet nosles aimed down when hovering sheesh) now a fighter just hangs in the air ..

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:28 pm

I grabbed the demo overnight and hopefully give it a go this weekend. The first one was an amazing game that was mind-numbingly crippled by technical issues - running out of RAM, slower-than-real-time speeds (even on a Phenom II at 3.6GHz once the battle got big enough), and crashes. The gameplay itself was outstanding, though, and I'm hoping they retained part of that even if the resource model has (allegedly) changed.

which was limited by the 486s we first played SC on, was completely different than Warcraft 2

1.) You'd do well to review the system requirements (hint: Pentium 90, 16MB of memory, Win95/NT4 or higher) for StarCraft
2.) The UI was identical to War2, aside from being shifted on-screen from the side to the bottom. It's very much a "refined Warcraft experience" and very not "completely different". Not that there's anything wrong with that; I love Starcraft and War2.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm surprised that they only let you play a couple of campaign missions in the demo. That has always been the weakest part of SupCom.

I didn't like the demo at all, so I probably won't buy the game. As I mentioned before, I found SupCom to be very mechanical after you learned how to play well. That opinion has only become stronger now that I've played games like Company of Heroes where the actual battle strategy matters as much as your economy.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Well this game was in my must buy list. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the demo first, but in all fairness it's not uncommon for demo's to be off from the full version.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I grabbed the demo overnight and hopefully give it a go this weekend. The first one was an amazing game that was mind-numbingly crippled by technical issues - running out of RAM, slower-than-real-time speeds (even on a Phenom II at 3.6GHz once the battle got big enough), and crashes. The gameplay itself was outstanding, though, and I'm hoping they retained part of that even if the resource model has (allegedly) changed.

which was limited by the 486s we first played SC on, was completely different than Warcraft 2

1.) You'd do well to review the system requirements (hint: Pentium 90, 16MB of memory, Win95/NT4 or higher) for StarCraft
2.) The UI was identical to War2, aside from being shifted on-screen from the side to the bottom. It's very much a "refined Warcraft experience" and very not "completely different". Not that there's anything wrong with that; I love Starcraft and War2.

1. We were young, and we used what we had :).
2. Please re-read my post, as my point was that the UI was largely the same, but that the game itself, while following the same overall formula, differed highly in game mechanics due to the completely heterogenerous races.

I did play the SC2 demo campaign last night, and after having liked TA but being dissapapointed by the first SC with it's crashiness, I think I'll skip this one, unless Starcraft 2 somehow manages to lose my interest. Heck, I still need to play Borderlands through :).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:27 pm

OK, I get it, my bad.

Interesting to note, the total homogeny of the races in War2 is pretty similar to Supcom1. The factions in Supcom differ substantially only in graphics and experimentals. The other units are all basically the same.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm

danny e. wrote:
starcraft and warcraft are nothing alike. unless warcraft 3 was nothing like warcraft 2.

:lol:
I just need to emphasize that Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 are nothing alike. Very, very nothing alike.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Wow, that demo sucked. Maybe it was just because I held such high expectations for it after the first game but I'm pretty disappointed so far. At least it ran smoother, though it was pretty buggy.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 pm

I kinda liked the demo. I wasn't expecting it to be OMGHUEG like the first game and it wasn't. And I don't think it will be unless you get the retail game.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:38 am

There are some great points, and i haven't even passed up the first 5 minutes in yet. Now, groupings are selectable by a single icon on the strategic display that shows how many units is in it. This obviously makes for easier 1 click control of large groups. I enjoy the add-ons to buildings. The first thought coming to mind is hey, maybe you don't need 1000 units if buildings function some level of their own protection, anti-air, shielding and what not. Downside, what's this whole... you can't build a unit unless you have the **** up front? Way to remove one of the foundation elements of total annihilation guys. Maybe i'm seeing it wrong, back in i go.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 am

The change in the econ is odd, I guess I'm kind of suprised. I suppose this will prevent the mass stalls people would have in supcom1. I guess you have to pay attention to the econ stuff less and it gives you time to do other things. The researching items is different than supcom1 but ok so far. Maybe it's the demo but the scale does seem smaller.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 am

Yea that may solely be the demo. This demo didn't even allow second level vehicles, assuming that the three tier setup is still the same. I can't say i'm a huge fan of the upgrade setup, but there's really nothing wrong with it.
When drunk.....

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:40 am

From the front page:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... erview.ars

Supreme Commander was a strategy game that got a great many things right, and it earned a ton of critical acclaim. As a result, the game's soon-to-be-released sequel, Supreme Commander 2, has some high standards to measure up against....

...Supreme Commander received praise for its use of technical features like multi-core processing and support for multiple monitors. According to Taylor, gamers will still be able to enjoy these features, as well as a couple of new ones.

"We will still be supporting those features, and have added Eyefinity support as well, which is wild to play on with up to six monitors," he said. "The biggest thing players will notice about the game is how fast it performs, as the entire rendering engine was rebuilt from the ground up. Another huge technical innovation was the development of our FlowField system, which is a total game changer for path-finding. The FlowField system is a faster system, allowing higher frame rates, and allows the player complete immersion into the game."

The performance in the last game with the AIs was horrendus. Also I'm sorry but in this demo units can't even walk around a factory instead of getting stuck trying to walk through it that is not good path finding. Also who cares about Eyefinity? Talk about a fluff piece.

I really hope the games performance and support is much better than the first or I see little need to buy it. IF they gots those things right this time around I will get the game when it's on sale on steam at some point.

It seems that some of the comments on ars are claming pathfinding problems on the GPG forums as well as econ and other complaints. From what I remember reading the forums on GPG pretty no one was happy with the level of support after the release of supcom1 I really do hope that changes for 2.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:43 pm

tfp wrote:
The change in the econ is odd, I guess I'm kind of suprised. I suppose this will prevent the mass stalls people would have in supcom1.

I think it's actually going to make it worse. In Supcom1 you could still start a building/unit and built it slowly as you gained mass/energy. Now you have to wait to build AT ALL until you have a sufficient stockpile, more like C&C and Starcraft (and any other RTS out there, really)

What this is directly aimed to do, I think, is prevent people from getting experimentals in a unit of time deemed "too early" by the development staff. The more I think about it the less I like it.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 pm

thats kind of funny, on pg 1 madman was right but so was krogoth.

madman is correct, resources are infinite over time.
krogoth is correct that resources are limited though, because although there is an endless supply the rate which you can collect them is limited by the space on the map for buildings and metal deposits. (and of course your ability to defend your economy, but thats not strictly speaking of the economy itself)

my biggest issue with supcomm was unit pathing, its all very well to be able to build massive armies but its not much good if they get stuck on each other when you try to move them into battle. There was a feature to co-ordinate attacks to arrive at the same time but it didn't work in the version I played, but maybe they eventually fixed that later with forged alliance? dont know.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:46 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I think it's actually going to make it worse. In Supcom1 you could still start a building/unit and built it slowly as you gained mass/energy. Now you have to wait to build AT ALL until you have a sufficient stockpile, more like C&C and Starcraft (and any other RTS out there, really)

What this is directly aimed to do, I think, is prevent people from getting experimentals in a unit of time deemed "too early" by the development staff. The more I think about it the less I like it.

I think I agree it was a good difference, between supcom and everything else.

Did anyone else see they are making TA Kingdoms type remake?

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

tfp wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I think I agree it was a good difference, between supcom and everything else.

Did anyone else see they are making TA Kingdoms type remake?

Did anybody here play TA Kingdoms? I recall it wasn't done by cavedog or Chris Taylor, and was a completely different game. I remember losing interest after the first review I read said basically "This isn't like TotalA".
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:40 am

I played them all. There is one more thing i thought it nice to consider. Although i appreciate the old economy, i can't help but wonder how taxing the calculations for it are. Breaking down how one unit could be handled fine, no big deal. Add in the effects of countless modifiers, shields, radar, every production unit, tons of factories, the math involved while making 20 engineers bob around on experimentals, and doing repairs to shields or units. I can't help but think that if they made any goal of making serious cuts to gain performance, the economy is one of them. One of the things i noticed is the second major change that makes me wince. You can no longer put 20 engineers on a factory. One each, although, the boost is "free" by comparison. Of course i could be wrong and they did it for some other reason. In that case I'd be thoroughly pissed off.
When drunk.....

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 am

Supreme Commander 2 = Son, I am disappoint.

The game has been consolized so severely that is hardly a RTS anymore. It is just another crappy Blizzard-style RTT clone. The units and their bright, colorful textures scream Legos. The soundtrack is completely lame.

Starcraft II and C&C 4 are going to rape Supreme Commander 2 back into oblivion.

Not worth $5 for this budget bin driver.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 am

Krogoth wrote:
Supreme Commander 2 = Son, I am disappoint.

The game has been consolized so severely that is hardly a RTS anymore. It is just another crappy Blizzard-style RTT clone. The units and their bright, colorful textures scream Legos. The soundtrack is completely lame.

Starcraft II and C&C 4 are going to rape Supreme Commander 2 back into oblivion.

Not worth $5 for this budget bin driver.

Yes, and no. It does seem a little dumbed down, and nerfed for noobs. But I only played the demo.
SupCom2 is nothing like a blizzard clone, that comment is extremely laughable. wow. Seriously, everything is different.
The graphics are nice, everything runs smooth, none of the horrible bugs that plagued supcom1/FA.

Now starcraft 2, and Diablo3 are going to be crappy blizzard clones. They both look absolutely terrible from the video's I've seen.
Warcraft3, WOW, and blizz-activision have destroyed the games.
Starcraft2 is half a game to sell you expansions, no lan, plus the gameplay is probably gonna be like warcraft3.
Even if the gameplay is starcraft-esque, that's still terrible. Starcraft itself had too many problems that need to be fixed.
SupCom is the true answer to the modern PC RTS, new RTS need to clone it, and not starcraft.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
... you have to wait to build AT ALL until you have a sufficient stockpile, more like C&C and Starcraft (and any other RTS out there, really)

With the original C&C games it took resources as it built, so if you ran out it could pause production at 2/3 or whatever. Is that the SupCom1 system? I really like that system, but I can't think of any other games that did that (for example, ones from the last decade).
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 am

Been so long since I played C&C1 that I'd forgotten that. But yeah, that's more or less how Supcom1 works. It's also how Total Annihilation and TA Kingdoms worked.