Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II -- thoughts?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Why do threads like this one always devolve into a Canon vs. Nikon debate? It's ridiculous.

So people can ask "Why do thread like this one always devolve into a Canon vs. Nikon debate?" :D

But really, the basic reason is that they're the two big guys. A thread like this one is asking for personal experiences; most personal experiences are going to involve Canon or Nikon... and since he's already asking about one of the Big Two, it's inevitable that the other will feature heavily, as well.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
Why do threads like this one always devolve into a Canon vs. Nikon debate? It's ridiculous.

So people can ask "Why do thread like this one always devolve into a Canon vs. Nikon debate?" :D

But really, the basic reason is that they're the two big guys. A thread like this one is asking for personal experiences; most personal experiences are going to involve Canon or Nikon... and since he's already asking about one of the Big Two, it's inevitable that the other will feature heavily, as well.

He asked what people thought about a Canon lens. Nikon users need not apply. It's not like they can hope to win a convert to a new camera system if the OP is considering budget hardware in the first place.

Anyway, all of the reviews of the 50mm 1.8 II are favorable. Image quality is excellent, which is really the most important thing in the end. Just don't knock the lens around too much, 'cause it's not built like an L.

I'm seriously considering picking up this lens for myself. I wanted to only get L series lenses and not sink money into anything less, but for a 50mm prime with good image quality, it's great for the price.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 pm

I own a Nikon camera but I have also used the Canon 50mm in question. Does this mean I shouldn't reply? Does this mean I can reply but I can't compare the lens to the majority of lenses I have used (Nikons)? Saying a Nikon user shouldn't reply is as ridiculous as a Nikon user coming into this thread trying to convert someone. Products shouldn't be a religion.

Anyway, the EF 50mm f/1.8 II is a great purchase at $90~. I had one with my Rebel XS and found it quite handy. The build quality was fine enough and will not be any issues unless you abuse it. The only fault I found was that when auto focusing it would struggle focusing sometimes even when using say a f/3.5 or f/5.6 aperture. Nothing major though. Considering the price and beautiful images it will produce it really is a must have.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:09 pm

I too am currently shooting Nikon, but have owned Canon as well, so I hope I'm allowed to discuss this issue...

Fan boys, no matter the topic, are annoying. While I shoot Nikon now I'm not naive enough to think that's the only system I will ever shoot.

Moral of the story: the price/performance ratio of either 50mm f/1.8's is great.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:25 pm

He asked what people thought about a Canon lens. Nikon users need not apply.

You're right. However, comparing and contrasting is one of the easiest and most direct ways to discern the nature of a thing, and the closest comparison to a 50mm f/1.8 is a 50mm f/1.8. Otherwise, this thread would have had a single response: "It's good, sharp, fast, and reliable for the money." Any other extension of the discussion inevitably leads to spending more money on technically superior lenses.

It's not like they can hope to win a convert to a new camera system if the OP is considering budget hardware in the first place.

I don't think anybody has tried to convert anyone, and I think it's silly of you to suggest it. There is very useful information in seeing where one piece of gear stands in relation to similar gear, even if that similar gear is not as accessible. For instance, if the consensus in the thread were that the Canon 50/1.8 were inferior to a competitor's, one may want to examine other wide aperture primes in the Canon line (there are plenty), or even third-party options (I'm a shill for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4).

I understand that these discussions can become heated, but in this case I think you are wrong to get pissy about it.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
It started in the third message of the thread, for no reason that I can discern.

Yes, mea culpa on that one :oops: .

I had been helping a friend shop for a DSLR/ILC, and in the course of it, came across steve huff's test shots, which disappointed my expectations of the Nikkor 1.8D (note that I have since retracted and revised my opinion of the lens). Note however that the performance of the Nikkor 1.8D (or my perception of it at the time) did not factor into my friend's purchase decision. We had been looking at the Canon 550D, Nikon D90 and Panasonic GH1/GF1, and he eventually settled on the 550D as he did not like the controls and grip on the D90 and the Pannys were ridiculously overpriced in Australia. I did stress to him that the Canon and Nikons were pretty much equivalent in feature set and performance, and that the Panny would not match up to either in resolving power but was the most portable system.

Oh, and I agree that price/performance on the Canon and Nikon 50mms are great. If I had not bought the Panny 20mm f/1.7 as part of a kit, I would never have found its $399 list price acceptable. Hopefully, price premiums for μ43 gear will go down once there is sufficient competition from Sigma, Samsung and Sony.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:42 am

Well, it arrived, and I did some low-light test shots in the living room, with and without flash, using the roomie's cat as the (semi-willing) test subject. Totally worth the hundred bucks, I'd say.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 am

Good to hear; I had high hopes (no pun intended). Have fun with the new toy, man, and I can only encourage ya to post samples as you go.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:22 am

the biggest difference between nikon and canon is the weight of the camera
some people using a heavier camera can get a better steady shot
I guess it depends on the size of your hands
and how much coffee you drink

anyway, there are enough pictures of cats on the internet so stop that :o
go to petsmart and buy yourself a hamster

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 pm

potatochobit wrote:
anyway, there are enough pictures of cats on the internet so stop that :o

Smart man. 8)
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm

potatochobit wrote:
there are enough pictures of cats on the internet

Heathen blasphemy.

go to petsmart and buy yourself a hamster

No thanks, I already ate...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration