Welcome to team 2630!

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

Re: Welcome to team 2630!

Postposted on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:25 pm

Ahh, if you take a look at the link again, it says I have now churned out about 7k total in the past 24 hours.

I guess the earlier low numbers were just low because it took time for my units to roll in and my average production rate to wind up. Yay !

You know, if I was on UGN, I would be increasing their production like 15%
GACKT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Dual nehalem Xeon e5520 / 16 GB DDR3 / GTX 280
mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 am

mph_Ragnarok wrote:Ahh, if you take a look at the link again, it says I have now churned out about 7k total in the past 24 hours.

I guess the earlier low numbers were just low because it took time for my units to roll in and my average production rate to wind up. Yay !

You know, if I was on UGN, I would be increasing their production like 15%

Well, I think you should change your username to UnitedGerbilNation and run an experiment to see if points production does go up by 15%. :wink:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Postposted on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 am

Uhm, hey fellas. *sheepish grin*

I've been a TR "regular" reader since, well, about 2000-2001. I picked up the bug through college and stayed with it after graduation. I was more active about 5-6 years ago than I have been recently (AMD64 heyday, Opteron 1xx cores and all that).

I've since come back to Folding@Home via an unlikely avenue for me - PS3 Folding. It took me until now to finally get a PS3, and what do I do within 48 hours of firing it up? Folding!

So, I've rejoined team 2630, although my previous stay on the team many years ago was short-lived (I folded for a couple of years for the old AMD corporate forums - team 34106).

Now that I'm back and active in Folding@Home, I might distract a couple of my boxen at home to join in. They're currently running S@H, CPDN and Rosetta@Home via the BOINC client.

So, I just thought I'd drop in and give a wave. :)
Systems Admin for an international mining contractor.

Specialties: network security and monitoring, network design - VLANs, BOVPNs and WAN networking, AD / DNS / AD-aware services, Exchange 2003/2007, email archiving, many hats indeed.
Logan[TeamX]
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Logan[TeamX] wrote:Uhm, hey fellas. *sheepish grin*

I've been a TR "regular" reader since, well, about 2000-2001. I picked up the bug through college and stayed with it after graduation. I was more active about 5-6 years ago than I have been recently (AMD64 heyday, Opteron 1xx cores and all that).

I've since come back to Folding@Home via an unlikely avenue for me - PS3 Folding. It took me until now to finally get a PS3, and what do I do within 48 hours of firing it up? Folding!

So, I've rejoined team 2630, although my previous stay on the team many years ago was short-lived (I folded for a couple of years for the old AMD corporate forums - team 34106).

Now that I'm back and active in Folding@Home, I might distract a couple of my boxen at home to join in. They're currently running S@H, CPDN and Rosetta@Home via the BOINC client.

So, I just thought I'd drop in and give a wave. :)

Big wave back atcha Logan! :D Glad that you have returned to the fold and you still feel the fever to fold. Keep us updated as you build your farm. :P
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:30 am

I'm just about to get my Opteron 170 back into "the fold" *groan*. What's the best way of doing this with both cores these days? Is there a true SMP client now? Or do I need two instances as before, each bound to a separate CPU core?

Also, do I need to track down that neat imagecfg.exe tool that allows you to hard-code which core each process runs on exclusively?

Thanks guys!
Systems Admin for an international mining contractor.

Specialties: network security and monitoring, network design - VLANs, BOVPNs and WAN networking, AD / DNS / AD-aware services, Exchange 2003/2007, email archiving, many hats indeed.
Logan[TeamX]
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 am

Logan[TeamX] wrote:I'm just about to get my Opteron 170 back into "the fold" *groan*. What's the best way of doing this with both cores these days? Is there a true SMP client now? Or do I need two instances as before, each bound to a separate CPU core?

Also, do I need to track down that neat imagecfg.exe tool that allows you to hard-code which core each process runs on exclusively?
Wow, that's a long time. Welcome back!

Yes, there is now a "true" SMP client and the points are better than running 2x single core clients. It still pales in comparison to GPU clients though if you have like a Nvidia 9600 and up video card. There is a Linux version of the SMP client and Windows version (slightly PITA to set up because it is ported from the Linux version). The Linux version is known to be more stable and produces more points, so a few of us here are using the magic of virtualization (think VMware, VirtualBox, etc.) to run Linux VMs on our Windows host OS. Whether you are running LinuxSMP or WinSMP, they spawn multiple worker processes that will max out all the cores, so no more affinity hacking tool.

As for downloading, LinuxSMP has been rolled into the single core client and you switch into different "modes" by the -smp switch. For WinSMP you need to click on the "High Performance Windows clients" link on the bottom of the regular download page, and the GPU and WinSMP clients will be listed.

I think the stickies have links to the respective clients and additional install/config instructions. You can also search the forum there may be additional threads discussing the stuff.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:24 am

ive officially joined the TR folding team! ive been reading this great site for about 6 months now, i figured it was time to post in the forum and sign up for the folding team! /waves!
mslowe7187
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:24 pm

mslowe7187 wrote:ive officially joined the TR folding team! ive been reading this great site for about 6 months now, i figured it was time to post in the forum and sign up for the folding team! /waves!

Welcome to Team 2630 mslowe7187! :D I hope you find folding with us to be super-duper!! :P
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:23 pm

thanks! i just finished my first folding project this afternoon!
mslowe7187
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am

mslowe7187 wrote:thanks! i just finished my first folding project this afternoon!

Woo-Hoo!! :D
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:15 am

Just got my new machine. Looks like I'll be getting about 2500 PPD each from a stock 920 and a 5750.

TR has best comprehensive and unbiased news coverage and articles. So I fold here. We need more attention for this forum, though, to keep up with the big teams.
ritsu
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:08 am

ritsu wrote:Just got my new machine. Looks like I'll be getting about 2500 PPD each from a stock 920 and a 5750.

TR has best comprehensive and unbiased news coverage and articles. So I fold here. We need more attention for this forum, though, to keep up with the big teams.

Welcome to the team! Have you tried the new 6.29 SMP client (with A3 WUs) yet? It may give you more points combined with the 5750. I assume you are talking about either a Phenom II X4 920 or the i7-920? If it is the i7-920, then "-smp 7" with the GPU client should be a monster.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:58 am

SMPv6.29, i7-920. I changed switch from "-smp" to "-smp 7". No difference.

> Work type a1 not eligible for variable processors

I guess this means A1 just goes after 4 threads. I'm only running A1 WU for now.

I tried setting affinity for the 4 worker threads restricting them to even-numbered cores. In task manager this leads to those cores' CPU usage being pinned to 100%. But it doesn't look like it improves the PPD.

Thanks for the help.
ritsu
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:47 pm

ritsu wrote:Just got my new machine. Looks like I'll be getting about 2500 PPD each from a stock 920 and a 5750.

Welcome to Team TR Ritsu! Folding here is tons of fun!! :D
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:57 pm

ritsu wrote:SMPv6.29, i7-920. I changed switch from "-smp" to "-smp 7". No difference.

> Work type a1 not eligible for variable processors

I guess this means A1 just goes after 4 threads. I'm only running A1 WU for now.

I tried setting affinity for the 4 worker threads restricting them to even-numbered cores. In task manager this leads to those cores' CPU usage being pinned to 100%. But it doesn't look like it improves the PPD.

Thanks for the help.

Normally you shouldn't need to fiddle with affinity. There are 2 things at work here:
- Sometimes you will get A1 WUs, you just have to work through them until they give you the A3's. When you configure the client did you enable 'advmethods' and 'big' size WUs (>10MB)? That may be needed for the A3's. Not 100% sure on this though.
- You will need to complete 10 WUs with the passkey well ahead of time before the bonuses start rolling in. For the A1's they will most likely spawn 4 Fah_A1.exe's in Task Manager to max out your CPU cores. For Fah_A3.exe it should be one process using multiple threads.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah, -advmethods is supposed to be necessary to get A3 workload, according to installation FAQs. Probably gonna wait until the weekend is over to try it.
ritsu
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

The main thing is the passkey. Until you register an email address with your username at Stanford and they generate a passkey for you, you can't get A3 core WU's.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:The main thing is the passkey. Until you register an email address with your username at Stanford and they generate a passkey for you, you can't get A3 core WU's.

I thought you just don't get the bonus points without the passkey but you will still get the A3's too? I could be wrong but it doesn't matter, without the bouns the A3's are nothing to write home about anyway.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 pm

I thought it was both, but you may be right. I never got them until I went and registered for a passkey, but maybe it was just that they didn't have many A3 WU's and it coincidentally happened that way.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Hello all!

SOG here. Really wanna get back into the rough with you all! 8)

Ok, I have a new rig that needs to be put to work. I wanna use all the resources that I can. So, I need help. I will be using the SMP client as I have a 8 threader CPU. But I really want to utilize the ATI card. It is a 5870 that was bought dirt cheap and it really needs to be put to work! I have gotten the CPUs to work right on the SMP client, but I can't get the ATI to show up... Am I missing something?

Thanks!
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller
SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Nice to have you SomeOtherGeek. I just joined again as well.

Make sure you sign up for a passkey, that way you will start raking in the big points. Can you show us the log for the ATI client?
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 pm

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:Nice to have you SomeOtherGeek. I just joined again as well.

Make sure you sign up for a passkey, that way you will start raking in the big points. Can you show us the log for the ATI client?

Hi! That is the problem, I don't think my ATI is kicking in. I used the -smp 8 flag and it shows my CPU using all 8 theads, but nothing about the ATI. Is there a flag for running the ATI?

Thanks!

PS, I still have all the parts that Jeffery gave me. All the cards and processor, but the MB is shot... :cry: Still looking for a board for that farm.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller
SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi! That is the problem, I don't think my ATI is kicking in. I used the -smp 8 flag and it shows my CPU using all 8 theads, but nothing about the ATI. Is there a flag for running the ATI?

The GPU and the CPU use two different clients. You need to run one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Here is a guide to setting up the GPU: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

Make sure when you set up the GPU make sure you go to advance settings and set the priority to low instead of idle and that you allow big WU's.
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:

The GPU and the CPU use two different clients. You need to run one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Here is a guide to setting up the GPU: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

Make sure when you set up the GPU make sure you go to advance settings and set the priority to low instead of idle and that you allow big WU's.

Hey, thanks! I saw where I missed the -forcegpu flag! I knew I was missing something. Well, I got the GPU up and running now. About 4K in points coming for UGN.

Hooking up the CPU now.
Edward Teller
SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Ok, all hooked up. ATI definitely sucks at folding. Awaiting the GPU3 to come out. About 11K to UGN.

I know I'm not using all 8 threads. It hogs my main machine... Oh well.
Edward Teller
SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am

SomeOtherGeek wrote:
mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:Nice to have you SomeOtherGeek. I just joined again as well.

Thanks!

PS, I still have all the parts that Jeffery gave me. All the cards and processor, but the MB is shot... :cry: Still looking for a board for that farm.

May want to test out if -smp 7 is better overall, since the GPU client does use some CPU cycles.

BTW what motherboard do you need?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Flying Fox wrote:May want to test out if -smp 7 is better overall, since the GPU client does use some CPU cycles.

BTW what motherboard do you need?

Ok, will do. Jeffry gave me a MSI X38 MB that had at least 3 16X PCIe slots. Really was kickin' with that baby. Pumping around 24K a day! :o
Edward Teller
SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Need to get a new heatsink for the CPU. It is sitting around 80C folding. Not comfortable with those numbers. Any suggestions for a heatsink? I'm looking at the Cooler Master V8 or V10. I would like to overclock the CPU anyway.
Edward Teller
SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:26 am

I suggest the Corsair H50 and pick up two fans Scythe kaze Fans from newegg and put them in a push pull configuration (or really any two fans that are the same that push a decent amount of air). My 1055T is running overclocked at 3.5Ghz at something like 28 degrees at half fan speed. I love this heatsink plus it does not take up a lot of room at all.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Back to folding, just with a PS3 (if it still works?), my macbook (2.2ghz dual core), and my desktop's SMP (Q9300 at around 3.2ghz)

I'm assuming it's not worth trying to convince my Radeon HD4890 to try anything? This is all in my bedroom and I dont think the added heat for negligable points is going to be good.

Edit: Ew, only 225 for this WU? I knew GPU was better but I didn't realize it had actually actively g otten worse for SMP ppd
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

PreviousNext

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort