Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tripods

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:38 am

What tripods do 'ya'all use for your serious (and not so serious) photography? I'm in the market for a tripod now and need some ideas. The camera I'm using is a Canon 7D + 17-40L. I need a tripod that has as high a maximum height as possible, but that is light enough to carry on a hike. I also want my cake and to eat it, too. ;)

From what I gather in my search so far, anything below $150 is insufficient, but right at or just above that price range looks like there are some tripods I can use. I want to keep it in the price range, if possible, but I also don't want to throw bad money after good and get a cruddy tripod to go with a great camera. I heard that Induro makes good products, so I checked out the Induro Adventure AKB1 Tripod Kit. The AKB2 is even taller, and not much more expensive.

I'm not setting up camp like Ansel Adams, but I want something that'll work. Any ideas and input are appreciated!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Tripods

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 am

I use a manfrotto modo maxi for my GF1. Obviously, it's not going to cut it for something like a 7D, but it's light (0.9 kg), compact (0.43m when folded down), extends tall (1.5 m) and squats low. It can also act as a shoulder brace when shooting video to steady the camera, pretty nifty. Best of all (for me, anyway) the quick release plate doesn't block the battery cover and SD slot on my camera. Philip Bloom uses the modo when he's shooting with the GF1, too.

If you want light, how about carbon fiber? The Manfrotto 732CY can be had for $199 without a head. It's only ~0.9kg.

If you want cheap, the Manfrotto 732x aluminium tripods are around $100 with a head (I recommend a 3-way head for the 7D, as it might be pushing it for the entry level ball heads). They range around 1.5-1.7kg depending on model.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

scare
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:08 am

Voldenuit wrote:
If you want light, how about carbon fiber?

I second this. Going with carbon fiber may be a little more expensive but the lighter weight is a huge boon.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
X3 720 @3.6, 1.4V | GA-MA790X-UD4P | XFX 4890 | 2x2 PC6400 | HDT-S1283 | ModXStream 500W | CM690

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:20 am

For travel, I use a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4. It's headless though -- I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead (a meaty ballhead for sure and not really matched for this tripod since I bought it for use on heftier tripod I also use).

A tripod is only good if you're willing to carry it so you have to consider weight and folded length. And what kind of tripod you get really depends on what you want the tripod for. The 190CXPRO4 I linked to can get very low plus it has a quick change column to switch to the horizontal. Are you looking for a tall tripod because you're tall yourself and you just don't want to bend down? tbh, that's a horrible way of looking for a tripod. All your pictures (I hope) aren't always taken at your height. Granted, I'm not that tall and wish I could get a little higher off the ground sometimes for my pictures, but a lot of times I'm shooting lower than my height... just depends on composition really. But to each their own, I guess.

Good luck, though.
///_-)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:44 pm

I use a Gitzo G1127 Carbon fiber tripod with Acratech ballhead. Total weight, ~1.6kg inlcuding ballhead. And it actually trounces my old Manfrotto alu 055 with how much it can support when setup properly. And yes, I've tried actually having my full weight at 70kg+ off the ground with only the tripod as support.

So, if you want lightweigt, carbon fiber is the way to go, but they can get top-heavy rather easily, so you will have to look out so you have the ability to add weight on site, on a hook, etc. And the really bad thing... price. Good carbon tripods are expensive.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:04 am

The reason I want tall is because there's a place I like taking pictures, but it's behind a fence and I would prefer not having the fence in the bottom of the frame. I used to stack two tripods on top of one another by setting one up, then taping the legs of the second tripod about halfway up the legs of the first. I got about 7 high feet that way. That was okay for supporting lesser cameras, but it won't work for the 7D. I get that 60" is about the tallest tripods get, too.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. Keep 'em coming!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 am

FireGryphon wrote:
The reason I want tall is because there's a place I like taking pictures, but it's behind a fence and I would prefer not having the fence in the bottom of the frame. I used to stack two tripods on top of one another by setting one up, then taping the legs of the second tripod about halfway up the legs of the first. I got about 7 high feet that way. That was okay for supporting lesser cameras, but it won't work for the 7D. I get that 60" is about the tallest tripods get, too.

The tripod you want is rented out by the day. I believe they usually call it a "boom lift" :wink:
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:37 am

ludi wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

The tripod you want is rented out by the day. I believe they usually call it a "boom lift" :wink:

I call that post a "Boom Tish!" :lol:
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Using a cheapo Velbon that you can't even locate on their website or by google search (can't find picture to match it)... doesn't even have a model number at first glance on the legs. Starting to wonder if its the source of some of my issues. But if this one is any indication of how the rest of their Tripods are, i'd avoid them. The mount is the flat style and does cover the battery release on my Sony A230 (most probably will due to the bodies size), and even when all things are adjusted properly it feels as though the mounting bracket tilts to the right (where it swivels) as though the metal mount is bent or something. All around not impressed, so I'm in the same boat as you, in the market for a tripod.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

ludi wrote:
Or a jib.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... _with.html

My tripod is a Triopo titanium model that I bought without researching beyond the fact that Newegg had it on special sale. :oops: I have equipped it with a Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head with quick release.