Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

internet slow , will it be modem the bottleneck ?

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:42 am

Hi .

I just want to check out the issue here , previously i using WRT54Gv8 and i upgrade my router to DIR-615 as it got more internal memory and better CPU.

But still i encounter slow in surfing .

When i 'back-door' connect to my neightbour house same row using DIR-300 with same broadband package we subscribe it seen like his broadband is much more faster.

We are both using the 1MB broadband provide by our telco.

I have borrow my equiptment to my brother who stay 4 row behind my house as he modem+router strike by thunder and he told me that my router+modem performance is slow compare with his previous set.

If i upgrade to a ADSL+2 modem , will it gain more performance ?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: internet slow , will it be modem the bottleneck ?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:06 am

As you are on ADSL, it all depends on the quality of the wiring in your house and between your house and the DSLAM in the telco's CO. Double check that you have the filters in the right place (on all phones and not on the modem) and make sure your modem is not near anything like a CRT or a fluorescent light or even right next to a computer as all those can put out interference that limit the speeds the modem can run at.

Try looking up your modem on DSL Reports and see if there is a management page that you can use to dump out the speeds and line quality it is getting - that will tell you what is going on.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:07 am

notfred wrote:
As you are on ADSL, it all depends on the quality of the wiring in your house and between your house and the DSLAM in the telco's CO. Double check that you have the filters in the right place (on all phones and not on the modem) and make sure your modem is not near anything like a CRT or a fluorescent light or even right next to a computer as all those can put out interference that limit the speeds the modem can run at.

Try looking up your modem on DSL Reports and see if there is a management page that you can use to dump out the speeds and line quality it is getting - that will tell you what is going on.

I will try to dig out something from my ZTE ZXDSL83 once i go back my own house during weekend.

as one of my local forum , there are figure like below
Local Tx Power: x dB
Remote Tx Power: x dB
Local Line Atten.: x dB
Remote Line Atten.: x dB
Local SNR Margin: x dB
Remote SNR Margin: x dB

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 am

notfred wrote:

Definately look at the wiring in your house. Worse comes to worse, run a new phone line from your phone box outside to your DSL modem and see if your speeds improve. Or, if you want an easy way to do it, run the modem directly into the box. Cheap and easy test.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

WarBastard
Gerbil

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:32 am

Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:34 am

Yours seems to be working reasonably well. :-?

WarBastard
Gerbil

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks. I just finished tweaking it. :wink:

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 am

WarBastard wrote:

Hi , mind to share some tweak technique ? But in malaysia the maxi now offer is at 4MB...i wonder how long can malaysia offer this high speed package. :(