Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Who should have won the Oscar for Best Film?

6 (10%)
The Blind Side
3 (5%)
District 9
18 (31%)
An Education
No votes
The Hurt Locker
5 (9%)
Inglourious Basterds
12 (21%)
Precious
3 (5%)
A Serious Man
1 (2%)
Up
10 (17%)
Up in the Air
No votes

Total votes: 58

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: The hurt locker over hyped?

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Some interesting thoughts here, I guess none of the nominees were really that great compared to other years. I watched THL one more time just to see if I felt the same way about it, and I still did. It's an alright watch, definitely not a bad movie.

I suppose I can forgive Bigelow for sneaking the Oscar this time since Point Break was such a dirty action classic :D

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
kvndoom wrote:
That is a Bingo! [/inglorious basterds]

Haha at great quote.

I think "Up" should have been a runaway winner, but there's a skittishness about giving certain types of movies Best Picture. I think people are afraid of some sort of "they gave it to a cartoon???" backlash. But you know, a great movie is a great movie, regardless of how it's presented.

I'm racking my brains for cartoons/animated movies that I think are Oscar-worthy. Here's what I came up with:

Sleeping Beauty - a classic.
The Last Unicorn - very underrated. The book is even better.
The Fox and the Hound - have you seen a grown man cry? Well, okay, I was 5 when I first saw it.
Kiki's Delivery Service - probably my favourite Miyazaki.
Howl's Moving Castle - another one.
Wallace and Gromit series (not the Hollywood film, which was blecch) - too short for best picture rules, though.
A Scanner Darkly - technically rotoscoped, but so was a lot of Rankin and Bass animation. I say it still counts.
The Nightmare Before Christmas
5 cm per second - truly moving.
Jin-Roh
Patlabor WXIII
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Perfect Blue - how could I forget Satoshi Kon?
Paprika - more Satoshi goodness.
Memories

Notable mentions:
Angel's Egg - trippy.
Coraline - the book was better, though Dakota nailed the voice.
The Iron Giant
Summer Wars - ending a bit too cliched and melodramatic.
Garden of Sinners series - overall great, but several unremarkable movies kept it off the A-list.

I'm as surprised as anyone that no 3D rendered movies made my list. I liked Monsters vs Aliens, but it was very weak in the middle. And Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was fun but not filling. Of course, many of those movies would have been disqualified from Best Picture because of nationality, but I'm judging by sheer quality, not locality. Japan may be a bit overrepresented, but they have a large market and an industry that is not afraid to target older and more sophisticated audiences. We're still a long way from that in Western Animation (Scanner Darkly and Heavy Metal series aside).

All that and you didnt post Grave of the Fireflies. I am not ashamed to admit. I cried at the end...... :cry: :cry:

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:12 pm

District 9? District 9?! Why the **** do people like that movie, it was ****.

If I hear one more pro District 9 comment anywhere on the internet I am going to lose it. It's like all the technical people love this film. I disown all you!

This poll is stabbing me right in the eye.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

normalicy
Gerbil

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:23 pm

I liked District 9. Was it awesome. Nope. Was it a watchable flick. Yup. Certainly not award worthy, but definitely different than what you see every day. For that I give it applause. I can see how it could have been better in many ways though. I can also see an eventual sequel if money & popularity permits (which would be exciting indeed).
What is normal anyway?

tikrjee
Gerbil

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:20 am

blitzy wrote:
tikrjee wrote:
to the jerk out there suing the team behind Hurt Locker, I, as well as anyone else who's ever had to wear a bomb suit, kindly asks you to **** off and die. Claiming the story is based on you when there are over 3000 of us that have been through the EXACT same situation on a daily basis... really? I can't wait till the hearing. Your ass is going down.

so you are saying you have been in a bomb suit before? have you disarmed bombs? Do you think the movie accurately depicts what goes on?

My dad wore that suit for a good 23 years, and I made sure to watch the movie with him. We laughed at the inaccuracies. My argument is that this film is a dedication to the often unsung hero of the battlefield: the ones who make the battlefield a little safer.
There's not enough room for your fail here. Move along.