Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

direct connect to modem

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi Guy/girl,

Need some clarification over here on how to make a direct connect to my modem (ZTE 831)

i trying to troubleshoot my modem speed by lay down a direct lan cable from my laptop to the modem (In fact i though it work fine as my router is able t run w/o any issue only speed is slow )

But i can't get a lan connection out from it , and my laptop at first prompt limited connectivity , i reboot my laptop and i manage to get a lan connection but still i can't login to the modem interface ,

I perform a ipconfig on dos prompt and it return me a weird IP address on my LAN interface but w/o a gateway although i try the default IP but it also not working as well.

Need some help here before i call the technical person to come and claim for my warranty :-?

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Re: direct connect to modem

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 pm

http://smartinfo.com.my/it/PC_Hardware/ ... _Modem.htm

Try changing your laptop IP to 192.168.1.2 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet and attempt to log in following the instructions in the link.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:06 am

And if you are not running it in router mode but have left it in the default modem mode then you will need to run a PPPoE client on your PC to bring up the connection.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 am

notfred wrote:
And if you are not running it in router mode but have left it in the default modem mode then you will need to run a PPPoE client on your PC to bring up the connection.

Yupe , i set this modem as bridge so that my router is able to perform the call,Let me try it out at home ....

Thank
Contingency wrote:
http://smartinfo.com.my/it/PC_Hardware/TM_Net_Streamyx_ZTE_ZXDXL_831_Modem.htm

Try changing your laptop IP to 192.168.1.2 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet and attempt to log in following the instructions in the link.

Contiingency , thank for your help , i try with default IP but it not reachable..:( and it look like some weird thing is there..: 8) IP even assing with 16.xxx..weird ip...maybe i need to do a hardware reset.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 am

At final , bring my laptop to do the test again ,hard reset modem and now the default Ip is 192.168.1.1

As bridge (dial up from router DIR-615)
Direct - Dial up using PPOE
Image]

Sound like a bottlenet is happen in router.. :-?

Shall i set this modem as router to call up direct and buy a Acess Point (AP) + switch instead.. :o

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:03 am

Your methodology is flawed. You can't draw meaningful conclusions from tests 1) taken a week apart, at different times, and to different servers, 2) in an environment that can be significantly influenced by factors other than the one under consideration, 3) that show a margin small enough to be explained by chance.

How you should have tested:
Remove devices and disable applications that may generate Internet traffic, since these may affect test results. With the router inline, run the speed test to a specific server three times in succession. Note performance for all three tests. If measurements are consistent (only minor variation), the results are probably valid. After this is done, remove the router and reconfigure the PC to dial in directly. Repeat the same tests, using the original server.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Contingency wrote:
Your methodology is flawed. You can't draw meaningful conclusions from tests 1) taken a week apart, at different times, and to different servers, 2) in an environment that can be significantly influenced by factors other than the one under consideration, 3) that show a margin small enough to be explained by chance.

How you should have tested:
Remove devices and disable applications that may generate Internet traffic, since these may affect test results. With the router inline, run the speed test to a specific server three times in succession. Note performance for all three tests. If measurements are consistent (only minor variation), the results are probably valid. After this is done, remove the router and reconfigure the PC to dial in directly. Repeat the same tests, using the original server.

I just finish off my testing , can't post it over here since it involve alot of graphic links..check this out