Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Photogeeks -- share your rig?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 am

I'm curious: what camera bodies and lenses do you own? Which body and lens combination(s) do you use the most? What is your primary use for it (hobby general, semi-pro nature shots, weddings, etc.)? My objective is to see what works for people and why, and what you cared enough about to sink your hobby/business/whatever money into it. Two things I don't want to do are (a) start another format/brand flame war or (b) duplicate the general photography thread. IOW all hardware types welcome, and sample images probably not relevant; you just have to be able to explain what you got and how it works for you.

Example: Here's mine.

Canon EOS Rebel XS 10.1mp, bought retail kit which includes the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

EF 50mm f/1.8 II
EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
EF 28mm f/2.8

I only have one dSLR body, so that eliminates that question. Primary use is hobby, for now. The last three lenses are recent eBay snags and I have no impressions as yet. Meanwhile, the 50mm f/1.8 has seen heavy use. It's not an expensive lens and it doesn't feel like one, and the pentagonal aperature artifacts can be annoying now and then, but for the money, it's hard to argue with the overall specs. I have similar high hopes for the 28mm prime. The 20-35mm USM is a sweet deal in the used market -- works perfectly for most of my general photography without being hideously large or complex.

EDIT: Finally settled in on an upgraded collection:

EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
EF 70-200mm f/4L

...and a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter.

The driving force behind the prime upgrades is a growing penchant for indoor flashless photography, which necessitates wide-aperture. The two zooms cover general walk-around (17-50) and outdoor nature/sports photography (70-200). The purpose of the macro is obvious enough, and the cheap teleconverter has so-so image quality but does give that smidgeon of extra reach that skittish wildlife occasionally requires, and works well enough in good light.

EDIT #2: More changes!

Canon 40D (bought used)

Tamron 17-55 Aspherical XR Di II f/2.8 (without the VC feature)

The 40D has roughly the same sensor and optical quality as the Rebel XS but offers a much better range of in-camera control and longer battery life, which seemed appropriate since my night photography excursions were starting to push the XS to its limits. The Tamron lens is well-regarded, has a constant f/2.8 aperture across the zoom range, and shares 67mm filters with my 70-200 f/4L. The 20mm was no longer needed, and since that and the 28-135 were my only lenses that required 72mm filters, I've simplified a bit by losing the both of them.

And yours?
Last edited by ludi on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Photogeeks -- share your rig?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 am

Body:
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF1

Lenses:
Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7
Panasonic LUMIX G Vario 7-14mm f/4 ASPH
Pentax Asahi Optical Co. SMC-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 on M42 to MFT adapter

Accessories:
Panasonic DMW-FL360 external flash
Manfrotto Modo Maxi tripod

I bought the GF1 to have a compact camera with DSLR-class performance (AF speed, DOF, dynamic range) that I could carry around nearly everywhere with me. Photography is a (recently rediscovered) hobby for me, and I had been waiting on the sidelines for digital to get "good enough" to get back into it. I came off Canon L glass and pro film bodies and Leica R film SLRs and lenses, so I had pretty high expectations that weren't met by the first few generations of DLSRs. So far, I've been pretty happy with the GF1, in view of its limitations compared to FF and APS-C DSLRs (poorer high ISO performance, 1 stop less DR, slightly slower AF), as its advantages (small size, low weight, 'good enough' IQ) have far outweighed the limitations in my mind. I use the 20/1.7 lens most of all, as it is a standard lens on the 2x crop format, with the ultra wide 7-14 zoom coming up next and the 50/1.4 performing admirably as a portrait lens.

I mainly shoot landscapes/architecture/street/candids, and the unobtrusive size of the camera (and lenses) makes it very non-threatening to people and subjects. I can also look people in the eye (or they can at least see my face) when I take their photos, so they're less apprehensive and more natural, I've found. The camera is also a doddle to carry around - many a time I've missed so many shots with an SLR because I either didn't have it with me or it was stowed in the backpack instead of in my hand. In that vein, the camera you have with you is always better than the camera you left at home. :p I'm also looking to explore the video possibilities with my camera, but have been a bit stymied by lack of experience and ready subject matter. The main drawback of micro four thirds as I see it is a relatively high cost compared to entry level DSLRs, but I expect prices to drop as the market matures and more competitors appear.

My next purchase for the camera will probably be Panasonic's upcoming 100-300 f/4-5.6 OIS lens, assuming it's as sharp as the better lenses in MFT. I do wish for faster glass sometimes, so I'm also contemplating a Voigtlander CV Nokton 35/1.4 or 40/1.4 (the 35/1.2 would be ludicrously large on my GF1). The system's (intermittent) compatibility with Four Thirds also means that I am considering an Olympus Zuiko D 14-54/2.8-3.5 as a fast walkabout lens, although I've been perfectly happy with the 20 prime so far.
Last edited by Voldenuit on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 am

Body:
Canon 40D
Canon 7D

Lenses:
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6

Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 (macro)
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L (macro)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Sigma EX 50mm f/1.4

Sigma EX 50-500mm f/4-6.3
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 am

Body:
Nikon D300

Lenses:
Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR
Nikon AF-D 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-D 85mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-G 10.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Sigma 70-20mm f/2.8 HSM
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM
Nikon AIS 28mm f/2.8
Nikon AIS 50mm f/1.2
Nikon AIS 105mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor

Accessories:
SB600 and SB800 Flash
eBay wireless controllers, corded controller
reflective umbrella, tripods

Started with a D70 in 2004, upgraded to a D300 in 2007. No plans for further acquisitions (in fact, sold a couple of lenses recently) anytime soon. Been itching to get the GF1 with the 20mm pancake, but the price of getting one outweighs the inconvenience of size and weight of the D300. Mainly a hobby for me, I change topics on what I shoot every now and then. Lately it's been portraits and food. Have done some events/weddings. If I could carry only one lens with me, the 17-55mm does most of what I need. The 70-300mm is more a zoo/animal/landscape lens, I don't use it much otherwise. Everything else is more a specialty lens for me. The 28mm prime works well as a food lens as it focuses as close as 20cm. The 50mm f/1.2 gives insanely shallow depth of field. The 85mm is a nice portrait lens, although a little long indoors on an APS sensor. The 12-24mm has sucky corners at 12mm, so my preference is to shoot and stitch. The 70-200mm Sigma is crappy at f/2.8, and too heavy and useful to me only for weddings. The fisheye is just fun. Not much into shooting macro these days. The manual lenses really push your focusing skill (have not tried a FF camera yet, so have no idea if they'd allow me to focus faster and more accurately). Flash photography done right just makes everything look so good.

To go slightly beyond the camera equipment, I think the post processing equipment is important as well. Upgraded to a Phenom X3 just so my 12MB RAW files didn't take forever to process in Lightroom.

The more gear I acquired, the less I needed it. The D300 does most of what I need, focuses fast, not too bad high ISO, great dynamic range, easy access to whole bunch of controls. These days I just slap on a lens and go out to make pictures with it. :D

Update: Finally got the GF1 + 20mm prime. Loving it.
Last edited by etilena on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yawn*

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:04 am

etilena wrote:
Flash photography done right just makes everything look so good.

heh I'm just the opposite. I have the Speedlite 580EX but I've used it maybe 3 or 4 times.
I really am fond of natural light... probably because I have never learned the "done right" part of flash. :)
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Voldenuit

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 am

etilena wrote:

I'm trying to teach myself flash these days, that's why I bought the FL360. Flash was always too daunting on film, because you could never tell if you were screwing up royally till after the film was developed. I had a Speedlite 550EX on my EOS-3 and rarely used it. It's a shame the GF1 doesn't natively support wireless flash. I might get a hotshoe extension cord or a pocket wizard when bounce is no longer enough for me.

The more gear I acquired, the less I needed it.

I hear ya. Some of my happiest times were with just the Leica R4E and a 35-70/3.5 Vario Elmarit and a 50/2 Summicron-R. When I moved on to Canon EOS and L lenses, my bag got progressively heavier and heavier, and I found myself leaving it at home more and more. I nearly fell into the same trap with the GF1, because I could fit everything (including tripod) into a single bag. When I realised I was close to becoming a pack mule again, I got a second small bag that just fit the body and 2 lenses, and now switch around as necessary.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 am

I'm just an amateur photographer. I bought the DSLR a few years ago because I wanted something to record family and vacation photos with better quality images than point and shoot cameras could manage. I enjoy the technical and creative challenges that the hobby provides.

EOS 40D - This camera is a joy to use. It makes all sorts of photography easily accessible.
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - This lens stays on my camera most of the time. It does most things well.
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM - Has shallow depth of field and creamy bokeh. Hitting the focus right is still challenging for me.
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM - I don't shoot as much macro as I'd like.
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (sold) - Reaches out and brings the wildlife near, though I'm now coveting more expensive telephoto options using the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.
Speedlite 580EX II - A decent bounce flash makes all the difference for indoor photos, though this unit handles things like outdoor high speed fill flashing as well.
Tripod w/ Manfrotto 322RC2 head
Various filters, spare batteries, chargers, memory cards, timer release, Lowepro AW lens cases, backpack, etc.
What little post processing that I do has usually run through Canon's ZoomBrowser EX and Digital Photo Professional programs, though I do use Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voldenuit

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 am

PS Thought I'd share a pic of my baby. (If this breaks a forum rule, please delete the post)

Wind, Sand and Stars.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 am

It's just a hobby thing for me now. I used to do weddings when I had my Minolta body. The reason for going with a Sony body was because the Minolta lenses I had could be used with the Sony Alphas.

Body
Sony Alpha 300

Lenses
Sony 18-70 (kit lens)
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Minolta 85mm f1.4
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 (this replaced my Minolta beercan 70-210mm)
Once I get regular paychecks rolling in I want to look into a good macro lens.

Accessories
Vivitar 285HV flash with a flash adapter/voltage regulator so I don't burn out my camera.
Optex T265 tripod
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Body:
EOS 40D

Lenses:
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF 400mm f/5.6L USM my baby

I call myself an amateur wildlife photographer. I mainly use my setup for bird photography, but I'll shoot anything that moves. The 400L is stuck to my camera 90% of the time. The 18-55 is a great little lens though, and works great for little critters and flower shots. I can't seem to get it to play nice at the wide end though, my landscape shots are never sharp enough. :-? That might be the L-fever though. The 400L is an amazing lens and well worth the money. Sharp as a razor wide open and light enough that I can hand hold it all day.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:18 pm

Another hobbyist, sometimes almost militantly so. My goal is to be shooting for the rest of my life, and I don't want to turn it into a "job" out of concern of possibly burning myself out.

Body: Nikon D90

Lenses:
-Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6: Not a stellar lens, but for the sub-$200 I paid, it's been excellent. Pretty much used exclusively in daylight, where it's plenty sharp stopped down a couple notches.
-Nikon 85mm f/1.8: Pretty much one of the more important event lenses I need, especially for live bands in venues with poor lighting (and, unfortunately, lighting is one of the most skimped aspects of live entertainment here in LA).
-Sigma 30mm f/1.4: I think I use this one the most; I love the perspective, it's acceptably sharp wide open (guess I got a good sample), and stopped down to f/2.0 it's excellent.

Used to also have a SB-600 flash, but that got lost a while back; I had been using a buddy's, but his broke. It's near the top of my list for new purchases.

Upcoming purchases will include: Pro-Optic 8mm f/3.5 manual focus fisheye, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (unless Sigma's 8-whatevermm wide angle gets good marks), and either Nikon's 55-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR or the 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. The telephoto lenses will likely be last; I want to get closer to the subject. I also eventually want to get both a short and a long macro lens. But since I'm a devoted hobbyist, acquisitions are few and far between... but I'm in no hurry. I'm gonna be doing this for another sixty years or so. :D

lex-ington

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Hoser wrote:
It's just a hobby thing for me now. I used to do weddings when I had my Minolta body. The reason for going with a Sony body was because the Minolta lenses I had could be used with the Sony Alphas.

Body
Sony Alpha 300

Lenses
Sony 18-70 (kit lens)
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Minolta 85mm f1.4
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 (this replaced my Minolta beercan 70-210mm)
Once I get regular paychecks rolling in I want to look into a good macro lens.

Accessories
Vivitar 285HV flash with a flash adapter/voltage regulator so I don't burn out my camera.
Optex T265 tripod

Aren't the 50mm and 855mm not Macros? I am so confused about all the terminology its not even speakable these days. Are you referring to a 1:1 magnification lens? I'm sorry, but I really had to ask.

My little bump of photography gear:
Sony alpha-200 kit with 18-70mm IS lens.
Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Macro Lens.
One tripod, one monopod.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 pm

I would consider myself a fairly serious hobbyist along with a fairly un-serious semi-professional. I have been shooting with DSLRs for about 3 years, and in that time I created a website (www.deboerexpo.com, don't laugh...I have no idea what I'm doing with website design...) with the goal of sharing my work, and almost as a joke I posted "services" convinced that it would never lead to anything. Soon after, I took a friend of mine's girlfriend out to do some portraits, she then told everyone she knew about me, and after that I kept having people come to me asking "do you do ____?", and I always said yes, regardless of whether I had actually ever done that particular type of job before. Since then, I have done quite a few portrait sessions, I have done around 8 weddings with 5 more this year, and I have officially become my architecture office's photographer (both for our work and events).

I still love going out and shooting for my own sake, and it has turned into my way of forgetting anything that's going on in my life and allowing me to clear my head. The images taken, usually, are only the resultant of a good walk meant to clear my head.

Camera Bodies:

Nikon D90 (purchased new in February 2009)
Nikon D90 (purchased refurbished in March 2010)

Each body now has a battery grip as well, which I absolutely love for the added grip length, battery life extension, and vertical shutter release.

Lenses/Accessories:

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 OS
Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRI
Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 (can borrow from work)
2 x Nikon SB-600's

I would LOVE to jump up to D700 (or whatever FF camera they come out with in the next few months) but I have a hard time justifying it. Even with the low light performance gains, I would have to upgrade basically my whole lens collection (outside of the 70-200mm), and I would end up spending more than would like. This all being said, if I book more weddings for next year (I have one so far) then I might be able swing it...

Voldenuit

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:06 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Aren't the 50mm and 855mm not Macros? I am so confused about all the terminology its not even speakable these days. Are you referring to a 1:1 magnification lens? I'm sorry, but I really had to ask.

The Minolta 50mm f1.7 has a maximum magnification of 1:7 and the Minolta 85mm f1.4 goes to 1:8, so neither are anywhere close to being a macro (and not marketed by Minolta as such). The closest Minolta macros are a 50/2.8 Macro D and a 100/2.8 Macro D (both 1:1). Normally, a lens is not considered a Macro unless it gets at least 1:2, but Sigma and Tamron have been polluting the terminology with their 1:4 or worse "Macro" zooms.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 pm

lex-ington wrote:

Nope. They're prime lenses...not macro lenses.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am

Body:

Nikon D40

Lenses:
Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR - Decent enough general purpose. I like the extra zoom over the standard kit lens but most importantly like the usable focus ring. Very cheap as well.
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 - What I use most of the time. I prefer taking pictures from a more natural, eye-like focal length. Just fits better in my way of visualizing the image.

I'm strongly considering a transition to m4/3 or similar system that may arise. When shooting there are two types of bodies I desire. Either a larger body in the size of about the Nikon D90 or a very small body with less weight than the D40. Considering I stick to my 35mm most of the time these days having a pancake lens on a m4/3 sounds great. My hands don't agree so much as I have large palms that get cramped quickly on small bodies like my own D40.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm

danny e. wrote:
etilena wrote:

heh I'm just the opposite. I have the Speedlite 580EX but I've used it maybe 3 or 4 times.
I really am fond of natural light... probably because I have never learned the "done right" part of flash. :)

when I first got my flash, used it for a bit before the novelty wore off. until I found out what you could do with the added source of light.

a lot of the photography I do is indoor, so unless I have a window with light filling in, it gets difficult to get a picture that is not flat in contrast and colour. I also use flash a lot outdoors as a light fill on cloudy days on on those harsh mid day sun kind of lighting scenarios, you want flash to kill any shadows laid on by the overhead sun.

plenty of good guides on the web, strobist and neil van niekerk makes the topic very approachable.
*yawn*

End User

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Hobbiest

Lanscape/Architecture/Motorosports

Cameras
- Pansonic DMC-LX3
- Nikon D80

Lenses
- Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G Fisheye
- Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G
- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D (my favourite)
- Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
- Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
- Lensbaby 3G

Filters
- 62mm HOYA UV Haze
- 72mm B+W UV Haze
- 72mm B+W Warm Tone Circular Polarizing KR1.5
- 77mm B+W UV Haze
- 77mm B+W Warm Tone Circular Polarizing KR1.5
- 86mm Sigma UV

Misc gear
- Canon 72mm Close-Up Lens 500D
- Gitzo 1098 tripod
- Markins Q-Ball M20 ballhead
- SB-800
- SB-600x2
- MB-D80 Vertical Shooting Grip
- Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
- Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW
- Giottos Rocket Air Large
- Lightsphere Clear/Cloud

Systems
- Core 2 Quad with 8GB - Ubuntu x64
- MacBook Pro 15 running Mac OS 10.6.x

Software
- RawTherapee
- GIMP
- Lightroom
- Adobe CS4
- DxO Optics Pro
- NoiseNinja

quock
Gerbil

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Primary purpose: Hobby, Just for fun

Nikon D40
Tokina 12-24mm F/4
Nikkor 35mm F/1.8
Nikkor 55-200 F/4.0-5.6 VR
Sunpak pz42x
B+W ND filter (6 stops)

I also have the Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-f/4.5 and 35mm f/2.0 which I'm not using anymore. I'm keeping those as backup.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:01 pm

D40 w/kit lens
35mm f/1.8. I haven't taken this lens off since I got it. With summer upon us I might put the kit lens back on. I do love how durable this one is. Nothing on the outside moves! I run it with a hoya hmc UV filter.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:09 pm

One thing you will notice in these posts, the new Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is very popular...for good reason.

EDIT: Also the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I've owned both (the Sigma when I shot Canon), and on cropped bodies they are so much fun...

jmcknight
Gerbil

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Pentax K200D
Pentax K-7
SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM
Pentax AF360FGZ flash
Pentax D-BG3 battery grip
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130