Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mattbak73
Gerbil
Topic Author

I need a person that knows cisco!!!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:41 am

I am in cisco classes and my term is up and its time for summer break...but i don't want to stop learning cisco. So i use ciscos packet tracer and what info i can get my hands on to learn more on summer break. Here is the problem on PT i can connect 2 pcs and send a successful PDU but when i put a router in the mix it never works. I've have a home network that is one Desktop, one laptop, a printer, a ps3, a net-gear wireless router and a cable modem... they all work in real life and i set it all up myself but i can't make it work in PT. So i took a step back and started with the two pcs but now I'm stuck on the router, i put in all the ip's but I'm missing something in the router. My router class starts in the fall but I'm to inpatient to wait that long. So unleash the knowledge!
dell inspiron 1545 laptop, duo core 2.3 ghz processor, 3 gigs of PC2-6400(400 MHz) ddr2 ram, 200mhz bus speed, 800 mhz FSB. 45nm, 35w, socket p (478), 1mb L2 cache, and a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family "graphics card".

along82
Gerbil

Re: I need a person that knows cisco!!!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 am

I used to have a ccna, but i haven't done anything with it for so long im pretty rusty. Not familiar with cisco's packet tracer, but i know most cisco's routers don't have switches built into them, unlike your netgear router. Did you connect the pcs to a switch and then to router?

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:42 am

Are you connected directly to the ethernet interfaces on the router or to a switch? When you connected the cables are they green on both ends or red? By default, the ethernet interfaces will be administratively down so you need to issue the no shutdown command to bring them up.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:44 am

CCNA training was a lot of fun, and definitely my favorite part of high school. I was under the impression that almost all consumer grade routers were built as switches for the local ethernet connections with a router in between the LAN and the modem.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:45 am

Look for sites like these; just Google around for Packet Tracer tutorials.

Also, you should try using switches first before routers; routers are several-thousand-dollar, extremely complex networking equipment, completely different from a consumer "router" or all-in-one device.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Step 1, draw a diagram. Routers move packets between networks, so you might need to keep that in mind. What does your routing table look like, do you have a default route? Barring the no shut command, can you ping from the router to your PC's?

Edit: Well, OK. I did CCNA back in 2000, they didn't have PT back then :). So I'm playing with PT, and so far I think it's neat, but still draw out your network by hand. I notice you can't do fun things like NAT or DCHP on the router, but banner works even though it's not listed in the commands. Anyway, my diagram works just using static IPs.
Last edited by drsauced on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Never dealt with Packet Tracer, working at Cisco I deal with the real stuff. I'll hunt around and see if I can find how to get it off of CCO.

I'm assuming you can access the router in Packet Tracer just like a console on a real router. Run "show int <blah>" for each interface that you have connected to the PCs and also "show route". I'm assuming you are doing everything with static IPs otherwise you'll have to get each router interface running DHCP. You want each interface to be its own subnet and the router to route between them.

mattbak73
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 pm

ok i just had it setup like my house network above. I didn't know you couldn't have cisco router hooked up like a home network. So i should try 2 pc's and a switch to see if i can get the 2 pcs to talk?
dell inspiron 1545 laptop, duo core 2.3 ghz processor, 3 gigs of PC2-6400(400 MHz) ddr2 ram, 200mhz bus speed, 800 mhz FSB. 45nm, 35w, socket p (478), 1mb L2 cache, and a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family "graphics card".

mattbak73
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:47 pm

ah you guy are great. I put in a 2950-24 switch in between the computers and boom successful PDU. So a router setup would only be if i had 2 pcs and switch and router and then on the other end the same set up and then put the routers together right?

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:46 pm

You can still use the router in your home network, just replacing the DSL router with the 1841 or whatever you choose. What you'd do then is have PC0 on 1.0.0.0 network and then PC1 on 2.0.0.0 network. Then you'd just have the next hop as the other network in the router. The PT makes it really easy to set up labs, that's for sure.

BRB.

Edit: That is weird, it seems that you cannot connect a PC or end device directly to a router, there needs to be a switch between them. Maybe Notfred can shed some light on this too, but I notice that the PC's also need to ping once before packets will pass through. That is, I've seen this in production, so I think it's a feature.

Edit2: I take it back, you can configure DHCP and NAT on the router (1841), and banner is definitely in the list of commands. Coffee, I drinks it.
Last edited by drsauced on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

mattbak73
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Tired that i got the green light between routers and they fast ethernet both have ips and i tried to do the next hop but it didn't seem to work. PDU still fails at the router.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 am

I can't find a way to get hold of Packet Tracer, it seems you have to be a member of an Academy. It's all very silly given I have access to every version of IOS ever released (including the k9 variants) but can't get access to a simple simulator. :evil:

drsauced: Things should work without needing a ping, but you do need ARP to resolve. If you do a ping from the router to any other endpoint then the very first packet gets dropped for null encapsulation (no entry in the adjacency table) but triggers an ARP request which resolves quickly so the remaining packets go through. When you bring links up, once the link is green it's always worth checking the ARP table for that port before sending a ton of traffic.

mattbak73
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 am

says the apr times out.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:56 pm

notfred wrote:
I can't find a way to get hold of Packet Tracer, it seems you have to be a member of an Academy. It's all very silly given I have access to every version of IOS ever released (including the k9 variants) but can't get access to a simple simulator. :evil:

drsauced: Things should work without needing a ping, but you do need ARP to resolve. If you do a ping from the router to any other endpoint then the very first packet gets dropped for null encapsulation (no entry in the adjacency table) but triggers an ARP request which resolves quickly so the remaining packets go through. When you bring links up, once the link is green it's always worth checking the ARP table for that port before sending a ton of traffic.

Yeah, when I took the course they always mentioned 'hit ping twice since the first ping is needed to get the ARP resolution table set up correctly'.

Maybe you can show the config of the router? I think the command is show running-config or something.

evermore
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Providing the config is always a good idea. Plus status. Use these:

sho version
sho ip interface brief
show running-config
show arp

Some router models do have integrated switches (1811 is the current basic model for business; 2 routed interfaces, 8 switchports). You can connect a PC directly to a router, even on routed interfaces, but you need a crossover cable on a routed interface.

mattbak73
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 pm

ill see what i can do it is hard to show unless you have PT

warhead
Gerbil

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Evermore gave you the two critical pieces to figure this out.

In order to learn Cisco, you shouldn't rely on diagrams. You need to be able to picture what each device is responsible for, and what it can talk to vis-a-vis each leg, both directly connected (ARP table) and then what is routed (show run)

This sounds to me like you just have too many pieces in the mix, and your trying to look at a barrel full of legos all at once. Simplify your network, with one piece, then add another, then see if you can ping across to it, then add another, etc. Step by step your going to prove LAYER 1 (physical connecivity) first, then try the routing.

For PC -- > Interface FE 0/0 on the router, you will most likely need a crossover cable. If you put a switch in between, PC -- > switch -- > FE 0/0 then the straight through cables will work.

You'll get there, just take it easy, one hop at a time. Good luck!