Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Afghanistan... again. Sharing wireless connection problems.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 am

Okay, so my provider is running pppoe. They already charge me 80 bucks a month for my internet use here... and it is sloooow as snot.

It is a wireless connection on the laptop. I have a router (Linksys). How an I use my laptop wireless connection and share it via that router?

Btw - this is an entirely wireless network here. So my internet is through a wireless connection (that thanks to some advice is considerably better than it was 2 weeks ago.)

So the router is a wrt54GS v2. The laptop is my alienware m17x. I connect through a d-link 150... stuck through the wall on the end of a 30 ft USB cable. (hey 5 bars...ya can't beat that.)

So can I connect it somehow through the router?

Bottom line, the afghans want to charge me an extra 80 bucks to connect a PS3 (when I get it... ) They won't "allow" me to share my net connection.. so since I pay them a **** ton of money, I will share it in another way if I can.
Core i7-4770K, 16GB G.Skill, ASUS ROG

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Afghanistan... again. Sharing wireless connection problems.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Well, the "right" way to do this would be to have your wrt54GS be the PPoE client: detach one (or both) of the antennas, run some coax between them and the router, and hang the antennas where you can get a good signal (one of the best features of those older Linksys WAPs is the external antennas with standard BNC connectors, which makes repositioning antennas like this, or replacing them with amplified or specialized antennas, very easy). The wrt54GS would then do NAT and hand out IP addresses to your laptop and PS3. However, that means your laptop is wired to the wrt54GS unless the latter can be used as a wireless bridge.

If you want to go ahead with your current setup, you'll need to set up your laptop to be a bridge. What OS are you running on it?

Regardless of the route you take I wouldn't be too optimistic about online play with the PS3, though, considering how much latency you're likely to experience (more the fault of the provider than your setup).

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 am

We don't have any coax. The wireless repeater is in the hall way... our "living" accommodations are basically big metal boxes. So, I have a USB cable running from my laptop out into the ceiling of the hall, in order for the d-link wireless adapter (attached to the end of it) to pick up any signal. I am running WIN-7. Is there no way to make the router use the wireless signal through my laptop?

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 am

I still have not solved this.

I don't have a modem to hook to my linksys.

In the ceiling of our hallway, there is wire less repeater/access point.

It runs on PPPOE...

If I put my PPPOE password and username into the linksys, it still can't get an ip from the pppoe server.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:32 am

Get an AP. Put that AP where it gets a good signal. Connect a router to that AP, router WAN to AP. Have the router handle PPPoE. Have clients connect to the router.
Or set up ICS on the laptop. PS3 is cabled to laptop's ethernet port.
Don't complain when they catch you NATting.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

Swampangel
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

It is possible to use your laptop's wireless card to create an AP.

On WinXP with an Intel wireless adapter, I remember using the Intel control panel to create an "Ad-hoc" network with a WEP key that other laptops could attach to.

On Vista, the process appears to be:

Open Network and Sharing Center
Sidebar "Manage Network Connections"
Double click on disconnected wireless adapter
"Set up a connection or network"
"Set up a wireless ad-hoc network"

And go from there. I'm at work so I can't test this, but it looks like the same process. This type of network won't be as reliable as a dedicated AP, and I don't know how to set up NAT or anything, but it will work in a pinch.

Then you could either set up your WRT54 in Bridge mode, or maybe connect the PS3 directly to your laptop.

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 am

Hi all,

Still having issues.

First, I can't figure out how to share my internet connection.

I can't figure out how to make the router connect to the wireless pppoe - without a modem.

If I could do the above, life would be good.

As it stands right now - with a PS3 you can not do a lan party (i.e. plug in a lan cable to the back of it) and connect through my wireless connection at the same time. If I am on line with the PS3 - the PS3 disables the LAN connection.

I know there has to be a way to do this.

So, how can I share my PPPoE wireless connection with my router?

*I don't have a modem - all I have is my wireless adapter that gets the signal. It is almost like I am working in a coffee shop that has a wireless access point, except this access point uses pppoe, and costs me 80 dollars a month for a verrrry slow connection. :)

Well, I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 pm

dractul wrote:
So, how can I share my PPPoE wireless connection with my router?

Contingency wrote:
Get an AP.

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Okay, I get the "RTFP" Read the " " Post vibe. :) I fully understand that.

However, I want to make sure you understand that I don't have a modem to hook a router to... everything I read about making my linksys into an AP says I have to have a modem first.

If that is the case, and I am SOL I just need to know that.

I can put in pppoe password, etc in my router - but it never gets an IP from the wireless AP in the hall. (I just checked and there is a Linksys WAP54G AP in the ceiling of the hall)

So do I need an AP of my own? I still don't think that would work because it would not be connected directly to the AP in the hall. I guess I am an idiot when it comes to all of this.

I have a switch and a router... what if I put the switch in the ceiling between the AP and the lan cable that runs to it, and then another short cable to the AP and a long cable to my router... would that possibly work?

The worst part of all of this... you can't go buy parts, you have to get them mailed to you and hope they are what you need over here. If they end up not being useful, good luck getting your money back when you return it from Afghanistan. :)

Not to mention... everything here runs on 220, instead of 110... so always hard to get power issues worked out.

Well, I will be checking for any further wisdom... thanks.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Your last PPPoE attempt failed because you don't have connectivity. PPPoE is established over the router WAN (I do not mean WLAN) interface. Your ISP's wireless connection must be bridged so the router WAN port has something to connect to. Very few wireless routers allow the integrated AP to connect to other wireless networks ("client mode") so an actual AP is recommended.

<ISP Wireless Connection>---[<AP Wireless><AP LAN Port>]---this is ethernet cable---[<Router WAN><Router LAN and WLAN>]---<Clients>

Cabling the router WAN to the repeater may work, depending on how their network is set up. Worth a shot.

Some routers can be flashed with third-party firmware to allow client mode functionality. Routers are generally cheaper than APs. Might as well get an AP, since you'd still need another device to perform PPPoE and sharing anyway. If cost is an issue, I'd keep working on laptop ICS.

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks for the info and the diagram. :)

So, the last question for me, before I fork over bucks to get my own AP.

An AP can connect to my network wirelessly and then I can run a cable from my AP to my router and share it out to my various items? Or would it require a cable plugged into it from my ISP?

Reason I ask ... is because that isn't going to happen, unless I jimmy rig their AP with my own switch.

If an AP will connect to my ISP wirelessly, that would rock. Then I could share my wireless with my laptop, PS3, and my damn Iphone :P It would be nice to use Skype to call my wife in the US, since I really don't have access to a phone here in Afghanistan. :)

Thanks for the patience Contingency.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:02 pm

If you have already taken a new wireless adapter and successfully connected to the Afghan network (which I got the impression you did in your previous thread, the DWA-125), you can connect using an AP. Client mode is exactly what it sounds like: it uses its radio to connect to the Afghan wireless network, just as any client adapter would. The AP will take frames it receives from its LAN port and push them out through wireless, so PPPoE traffic from the cabled-in router has a transit path to the Afghan endpoint. It is not necessary for the AP to obtain an IP since connectivity is Layer 2.

If you can cable in the router to their repeater, I'd try that first. Main drawback is that your equipment may be seized if any maintenance work is done. If you can, secure your equipment in your quarters, so you'd only be out a cable.