Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Connect to router but no internet

Tue May 04, 2010 5:52 pm

I have recently installed a Linksys WUSB300N wireless adapter on my father-in-law's desktop computer. Using either the Linksys software or Windows XP to configure the adapter, I can connect to the router (verified by accessing the router set-up page and by having an appropriate IP address) however I can not access the internet. Both my laptop and his laptop as well as my and my wife's smartphones can connect to the router and the internet through it. The desktop was able to connect and access the internet with the PCI wireless card that was previously installed (it is unidentified). The desktop is running Windows XP SP3 and has the free Norton Security Suite from Comcast installed. Any suggestions?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Connect to router but no internet

Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Start Run:
HelpCtr.exe  -url "hcp://system/netdiag/dglogs.htm"

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 8:22 am

May be a DNS problem, make sure the DNS is coming from the router via DHCP and not being overridden on the PC.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 05, 2010 2:16 pm

If the IP configuration is good, I'd next check the installed security suite. Norton is notorious for breaking things.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah, that's why I suggested the OP run the net diagnostics from the helpctr. We could have him open a command line and try pinging a known IP and running ipconfig /all etc, but the diagnostics do a pretty good job of isolating the general area of the problem in a less geeky way. Once you have a sense of where to focus things go much quicker.

And yeah, i look at anything with "Norton" on it with suspicion also.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Contingency wrote:
If the IP configuration is good, I'd next check the installed security suite. Norton is notorious for breaking things.

AMEN to that !!! I've also recently had Grisoft's firewall funk up an internet connex. I found that AVG offers an uninstaller which worked perfectly when both the built in uninstaller and the MS Cleanup Utility failed to completely uninstall AVG properly.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Guys,
thank you for the suggestions. I haven't had a chance yet to run the command line item that was suggested by Ubergerbil. I ran the Norton Software removal tool from their website to try to eliminate that as a confounding factor. Now, it only occasionally grabs an IP address. If anyone thinks it makes a difference, the wireless adapter was bought refurbished.

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Ok, so I've been able to perform the scan suggested by Ubergerbil. When the computer actually gets an IP address, it pings itself fine, but it can not even ping the router it is supposedly connected to.

Since my last post I have a few more observations. I installed the card on my laptop (Win 7) and it worked perfectly, connecting at 270 Mbps and allowing me to browse the net. I have reattached the card to the Win XP computer and I have a 50% chance of getting a correct IP address using either the Linksys software or the Windows XP wireless configuration utility to connect to the router. When it does connect, it connects at about 13 Mbps (N card to N router) and sometimes spikes to a 270 Mbps connection, even though it reports the signal strength is excellent. When it doesn't connect, I either get message saying Low Connectivity and the IP address is not an appropriate one for the router configuration or it just says "Acquiring IP address" for a couple of minutes and then it says no connection.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Thank you.

edit: Even though it says it was connected and had an appropriate IP address, after 30 minutes it had sent ~300 packets and received 11.