Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I was discussing this article with my dad the other day. We agree wholeheartedly.

I was never a big fan of Gates, but I do read in the paper continuesly that he and his wife donated such and such amount to fight aids in Africa or some other such cause.

"if you have two shirts and your neighbor has none..."

Discuss? *ducks thrown tomatoes*
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Wed May 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Meh, who cares? If the company makes a product worth buying, I couldn't give a damn about the philanthropic habits (or lack thereof) of its CEO.

I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 05, 2010 5:07 pm

That article is also from 06. I don't remember when the iPhone came out, but I would be interested in seeing his financials pre and post iphone.

Oh, and Jobs was a big supporter of organ transplant legislation: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/19/steve-jo ... gislation/

I think that Gates is more social in the public eye. Jobs' whole work ethics is to keep things under wraps and tight lips all around his company. He is more of a recluse which makes the media go after him even more.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Vrock wrote:
I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D

Cult you say? I think massive hysteria is more of a term that should be used. Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Cult you say? I think massive hysteria is more of a term that should be used. Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/
Is that....real?

I'm afraid.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Vrock wrote:
Synchromesh wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Is that....real?

I'm afraid.

Oh...MY...GAWD! That's disturbing.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 pm

I wonder what the requirements of entry to the club will be. I mean is having just an ipod nano enough or does one have to have at least a ipod touch to become a member? Will G3 users be allowed to join or nothing older than Intel-based machines only? Let the lunacy begin!

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
I wonder what the requirements of entry to the club will be. I mean is having just an ipod nano enough or does one have to have at least a ipod touch to become a member? Will G3 users be allowed to join or nothing older than Intel-based machines only? Let the lunacy begin!

I can just hear the cheesy permutations of "iPod touch" that geeky guys will use to make moves on the geeky girls... it makes me shudder...

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I think that Bill Gates' large scale philanthropy in the past few years has changed this perception a bit. I just asked my brother (who knows little about tech stuff) who was the better person, Jobs or Gates, and he told me Gates because he was giving away his money.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 pm

You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Vrock wrote:

You'd love the director of the group I work for. He just got an iPad, and has decided he wants to use it for everything. Including as a replacement for the laptop he normally carries around. Which means someone (maybe me...) gets to attempt to figure out how to use an iPad as a Remote Desktop client through a SSH tunnel, so he can use it to access the office network while he's on the road...

I will give the iPad credit for this: The on-screen touch keyboard sucks a lot less than I thought it would.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 05, 2010 9:30 pm

njenabnit wrote:
That article is also from 06. I don't remember when the iPhone came out, but I would be interested in seeing his financials pre and post iphone.

Was that before or after he was the recipient of a transplant?

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
njenabnit wrote:

Was that before or after he was the recipient of a transplant?

I am pretty sure it was after he got his transplant. I think his eyes were opened a bit when he dam near took a dirt nap.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 05, 2010 9:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vrock wrote:

You'd love the director of the group I work for. He just got an iPad, and has decided he wants to use it for everything. Including as a replacement for the laptop he normally carries around. Which means someone (maybe me...) gets to attempt to figure out how to use an iPad as a Remote Desktop client through a SSH tunnel, so he can use it to access the office network while he's on the road...

I will give the iPad credit for this: The on-screen touch keyboard sucks a lot less than I thought it would.

I dunno what the best way to do this via SSH is, but the iPhone OS supports VPNs natively and there are a lot of VNC clients available. At least for the iPhone, though I confess I haven't used any myself.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 pm

I would be much more interested in seeing the author of that article disclose his own charitable giving by organization and net percentage of his income, since he feels such details are important. If that's the measure of a man, then a senior editor for Wired and successful author chronicling the tech industry, Apple in particular, ought to have a few bucks to spread around before he goes looking to spread someone else's wealth around.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/

WTF... Is that for real ?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 06, 2010 12:53 pm

that's a spoof. please let it be a spoof.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Synchromesh wrote:

I have a fear that this will cause Apple fanboys and fangirls to multiply exponentially. December 2012 seems about right...
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
that's a spoof. please let it be a spoof.

If it's a spoof, it's suckered a lot of the tech press into believing it. I fear that it really is real.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews ... june/14465
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm

SNM wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I dunno what the best way to do this via SSH is, but the iPhone OS supports VPNs natively and there are a lot of VNC clients available. At least for the iPhone, though I confess I haven't used any myself.

Done! I do this in a couple of ways, Logmein works well. And our Cisco client works too. You may find that's it's really easy to accomplish. The free VNC ap works too but it's not fully featured. The only part I find difficult is passing sound it's not good, yet.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 06, 2010 3:29 pm

tanker27 wrote:
SNM wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Done! I do this in a couple of ways, Logmein works well. And our Cisco client works too. You may find that's it's really easy to accomplish. The free VNC ap works too but it's not fully featured. The only part I find difficult is passing sound it's not good, yet.

Do any of those work through a SSH tunnel? (The VPN through our home office sucks big time; we've got SSH tunnel capability direct into the LAN in our satellite office, but haven't set up a real VPN that goes directly into our LAN yet...)

dustyjamessutton
Gerbil XP

Thu May 06, 2010 5:31 pm

My reasons for not giving Apple any money are mostly political. I don't agree with some of the causes they give money to. And that is all I will say. Enough said.
Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names, but the bard's song will remain....

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 06, 2010 6:18 pm

dustyjamessutton wrote:
My reasons for not giving Apple any money are mostly political. I don't agree with some of the causes they give money to. And that is all I will say. Enough said.

Hmm. Apple donated to Red Cross during the Haiti earthquake, they did the Product Red campaign for a bit, they gave money to a children's museum... oh and they also donated $100,000 to fight the same-sex marriage ban in California. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was the last one you have issue with.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Futher comments along those lines WILL get this thread sent to R&P.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Do any of those work through a SSH tunnel? (The VPN through our home office sucks big time; we've got SSH tunnel capability direct into the LAN in our satellite office, but haven't set up a real VPN that goes directly into our LAN yet...)

Yes there are some SSH tunneler apps available that you can more than likely configure with your LAN to accept them.
Theres Touch Term, SSH, iSSH, pTerm none of them cost over 4.99.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Yes there are some SSH tunneler apps available that you can more than likely configure with your LAN to accept them.
Theres Touch Term, SSH, iSSH, pTerm none of them cost over 4.99.

That's not what he means -- those apps run a terminal via SSH. Tunneling is when you establish an SSH connection and then use it to use and access a different transfer protocol which appears (to the rest of the world) to originate from the server you're SSHing into.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 06, 2010 9:02 pm

those apps are used to setup a terminal session to SSH.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 am

tanker27 wrote:
those apps are used to setup a terminal session to SSH.

... and given that the iPad does not support multi-tasking, how do you then utilize that session from the Remote Desktop client?

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Fri May 07, 2010 8:12 am

So when does this get shifted into R&P? I can't wait to see the trigger message...
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm

"Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple"

Then I say good luck to you with your Zune, Windows phone and RT tablet....

People that feel the need to show off that they give money to charity might want to consider this
http://www.apple.com/product-red/

If you sink your $ into Microsoft products, none of it will go to Africa.