Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Which upcoming non-MMO RPG are you most looking forward to?

Bioware's Dragon Age 2 (March 8, 2011)
8 (15%)
CDProject's The Witcher 2 (May 17, 2011)
8 (15%)
Bethesda's Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim (11/11/11)
17 (32%)
Bioware's Mass Effect 3 (Holiday 2011!)
12 (23%)
Blizzard's Diablo 3 (2011?)
8 (15%)

Total votes: 53

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Upcoming Anticipated (non-MMO) RPGs - Poll!

Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Here are the links to each game's main page for those that may not be familiar with them or want more information:
Bioware's Dragon Age 2
CDProjekt's The Witcher 2
Bethesda's Elder Scrolls 5
Bioware's Mass Effect 3
Blizzard's Diablo 3

At this time, Dragon Age 2 and The Witcher 2 are available for pre-order at various avenues.
--original post--
I've listed just a couple- by no means comprehensive, just the two latest Bioware games and CDProjekt's upcoming action-RPG so far. Please suggest additions, votes may be changed for this reason!

Personally, I lend to enjoying good stories and good storytelling- knowing very little about The Witcher 2, but just finishing the first, I'm pretty excited about what can be done with that content. At the same time though, damnit, I want to see how Shephard defeats the Reapers!
Last edited by Airmantharp on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 am, edited 18 times in total.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Re: Upcoming Anticipated (non-MMO) RPGs

Sat May 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Can't wait for ME3! I bet it will take place while Quarians will go to war against Geth!
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat May 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Ummm......All three!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 16, 2010 12:42 am

Eh I was sort of let down with Dragon Age to be honest. It felt very much like NWN in terms of linearity, and less like Baldur's Gate (which is what I was hoping for).

I personally am still waiting for the curtain to be lifted on ES V: X (although chances are it will be called Skyrim). I'm very anxious to see the direction in which they take it. I'm hoping it more closely resembles Morrowind than Oblivion, because it took me some 3 or 4 years after buying the Collectors Edition to actually beat it, and that was only to find out what happens plotwise.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 am

Looking forward to all three! Just like non-MMO RPG, period.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

scare
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 16, 2010 1:16 am

My list of anticipated titles consists of:
1) Fallout New Vegas
2) Mass Effect 3
3) Dragon Age 2

I found the gameplay of Fallout 3 to be better than Mass Effect 2, while the storytelling was better in Mass Effect 1 was better than that found in Fallout 3. While I do like Mass Effect 2, I can't say I was as in to it as I was in to Mass Effect 1, despite some interface and combat flaws in the first title.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
X3 720 @3.6, 1.4V | GA-MA790X-UD4P | XFX 4890 | 2x2 PC6400 | HDT-S1283 | ModXStream 500W | CM690

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Sun May 16, 2010 1:56 am

SecretMaster wrote:
Eh I was sort of let down with Dragon Age to be honest. It felt very much like NWN in terms of linearity, and less like Baldur's Gate (which is what I was hoping for).

I personally am still waiting for the curtain to be lifted on ES V: X (although chances are it will be called Skyrim). I'm very anxious to see the direction in which they take it. I'm hoping it more closely resembles Morrowind than Oblivion, because it took me some 3 or 4 years after buying the Collectors Edition to actually beat it, and that was only to find out what happens plotwise.

Same here.

scare wrote:
My list of anticipated titles consists of:
1) Fallout New Vegas
2) Mass Effect 3
3) Dragon Age 2

I found the gameplay of Fallout 3 to be better than Mass Effect 2, while the storytelling was better in Mass Effect 1 was better than that found in Fallout 3. While I do like Mass Effect 2, I can't say I was as in to it as I was in to Mass Effect 1, despite some interface and combat flaws in the first title.

I think BioWare peaked in story-telling and gameplay during KOTOR. I still don't understand why people like Mass Effect.

My list just has Witcher 2 and Fallout NV on it right now, as I don't realistically expect any info on ES V from Bethesda until Brink has been released. I'm...cautiously interested...in the new Deus Ex and Gothic 4.

KeillRandor
Gerbil

Sun May 16, 2010 4:51 am

The problem I have with cRPG's, is that what they are accepted to be about completely conflicts with each other:

Games, are about people WRITING their own story, (in a structured, competitive environment - (people competing against others, (either directly or indirectly), within a structured environment, in writing their own story/stories, at the expense of, or in spite of the others)).

And yet cRPG's seem to be understood by most people to be about stories that are TOLD.

Either something is a GAME, (supported, (but not REPLACED!), by art, (which is necessary for computer games)), OR it's a puzzle/competition - you CANNOT have both at the same time.

cRPG's, through their character development, can offer something very powerful for the player to DO - enabling a powerful and meaningful story to be written, which is generally not present in other types of games, and yet most cRPG's are really only beginning to scratch the surface of what it really possible...

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 16, 2010 8:00 am

KeillRandor wrote:
The problem I have with cRPG's, is that what they are accepted to be about completely conflicts with each other:

Games, are about people WRITING their own story, (in a structured, competitive environment - (people competing against others, (either directly or indirectly), within a structured environment, in writing their own story/stories, at the expense of, or in spite of the others)).

And yet cRPG's seem to be understood by most people to be about stories that are TOLD.

Either something is a GAME, (supported, (but not REPLACED!), by art, (which is necessary for computer games)), OR it's a puzzle/competition - you CANNOT have both at the same time.

cRPG's, through their character development, can offer something very powerful for the player to DO - enabling a powerful and meaningful story to be written, which is generally not present in other types of games, and yet most cRPG's are really only beginning to scratch the surface of what it really possible...

I disagree, I think a lot of the "classic" cRPG's really were about roleplaying a character, but it was done within the context of the story. I still let my imagination run wild and had fun with the characters I created, and at the end of the day it was roleplaying my character, not progressing to "beat the game." Which is why I often enjoy sandbox style games a la Elder Scrolls. Baldur's Gate was phenomenal in that aspect, as well as creating a really compelling story. Baldur's Gate 2, while still a very good game, was more confining than Baldur's Gate. But typically I find that the older games, like the early mid 1990 cRPG's, are absolute gold. We still have the box, manual, strategy guide + CD for ES II: Daggerfall. In all these years, I don't think there has been a single computer I didn't install it on. That game is simply so much fun. Likewise another great game was Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. That game was amazing, and I think one of the most challenging games I've ever played.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 am

Based on your posts, I've added more RPG's and appended tentative release time frames. The poll has been reset, and you may now choose three options.

Personally, I didn't like Fallout 3- but VATS was a choppy mess for me at the time. I've since upgraded to over twice the performance all around, so I should probably give that a try after I finish my Mass Effect 2 Insanity run with my (first for either game!) Vanguard.

On gameplay, I like Mass Effect 2 the most, but you must turn the difficulty up to hardcore or insanity (the two highest). It's a completely different game, and the higher difficulty levels force you to actually play the game instead of just run through from story point to story point. I liked the open-ended 'sandbox' games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 less, I think, due to their open-ended-ness, but again I think I'll give FE3 another run.

I did despite my whining beat FE3; as well as all Dragon Age: Origins content out there, and I still feel like the first Mass Effect had the best story, better than the second one. I think it's kind of like the 'Avatar effect' as far as stories go- it's an epic and engaging story with great characters, which make the game, but not necessarily anything new, and the game itself does have some tediousness about it.

Dragon Age: Origins kind of disappointed me too, for whatever reason. I think that they tried to make it too broad and somehow failed to make it deep enough, but I can't put my finger on it. Still an incredible game though, and I'm happily waiting for sequels.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 am

Looks like Mass Effect 3 might come as early as 2011, due to not having to be open-ended in the writing and not having to have its game elements improved over the second one.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:21 am

A bump for two quick updates:

Possibility of multiplayer/coop in ME. Not sure what I think about this- the gameplay in ME2 was good, but I'm not sure how it would bend to a deathmatch or other shooter gametypes, though I think coop might actually work pretty well!

Second item: it looks like The Witcher 2's developer is no friend to restrictive DRM schemes. Like someone in the comments below the article, if the developer or any developer goes 'Ubisoft,' I'll avoid the product and vote with my dollars. Heck, I avoided Ubisoft before the DRM crap, as their games turn me off before I even get to play them.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 pm

SecretMaster wrote:

I was greatly disappointed by this to.I was hoping for a more open ended baldurs gate style game. Were you could pretty much roam were you wanted outside of locked storyline areas.Along with being able to do quest, and hunt down items and npc's in pretty much what ever order you felt like.Was also hoping for BG's both dark/and light hearted tongue in cheek approach.BG had a way of making even the darkest moments seem a bit comical and not to heavy. Instead we got NWN's sorta depressing and heavy atmosphere along with it's more closed off world/quests.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Please please please please please please please make it so

http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/03/rumour- ... nt-for-e3/

Edit:

And not an MMO for god's sake.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Update:

We have some Mass Effect 2 DLC coming next week, The Witcher 2 has a real release date, will import the original's save games Bioware style, and will most likely not have restrictive DRM beyond Steam, and Fallout: New Vegas has it's pre-order up on Steam, with a release date of October 2010!

KeillRandor
Gerbil

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:00 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
I disagree, I think a lot of the "classic" cRPG's really were about roleplaying a character, but it was done within the context of the story. I still let my imagination run wild and had fun with the characters I created, and at the end of the day it was roleplaying my character, not progressing to "beat the game." Which is why I often enjoy sandbox style games a la Elder Scrolls. Baldur's Gate was phenomenal in that aspect, as well as creating a really compelling story. Baldur's Gate 2, while still a very good game, was more confining than Baldur's Gate. But typically I find that the older games, like the early mid 1990 cRPG's, are absolute gold. We still have the box, manual, strategy guide + CD for ES II: Daggerfall. In all these years, I don't think there has been a single computer I didn't install it on. That game is simply so much fun. Likewise another great game was Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. That game was amazing, and I think one of the most challenging games I've ever played.

I know it's been a while since I posted that, but I've been busy. In order to fully understand what I'm about to say, I ask you read my blog (main page is here: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrenTomlyn/3291/), though I recommend you really start with the contents post, starting at the top and working your way down - (it's all meant to be read in a particular order):

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrenTomlyn/20100523/5220/Contents.php

(Please note that this blog is still very much incomplete - cRPG's are what I'm hoping to wind up at).

If you read all that, (and I hope it makes sense), then the following should also do so:

1) The ONLY type of story that a game requires to be told, in order to exist, is it's setting. However, this story does NOT need to be created in order to exist - (we can use our normal surroundings for instance). Of course, computer games require a setting and everything else to be created too - this is part of what makes computer games what they are.

2) However, there is only one type of game that I am aware of that is defined by its setting: board games. EVERY other game in existence is defined by one of two things, (if not both): what they player DOES in a game, and the media used to do so - (the boards in board games are actually just the latter, though they affect it's setting rather than what the player uses directly). Stories that are TOLD, especially plot/narrative have NO place in such a definition - why? Because they are already defined elsewhere: as ART.

3) Games in general, even types of games, can NOT be defined by ART, PUZZLES or COMPETITIONS - they are all represented by separate words for a good reason.

4) The only media that matters for computer games, is the computer (or console etc.) itself. Because of this, the ONLY thing that can define types of computer games, is what the player DOES (for him/herself) in a game.

5)Just as monopoly can not be defined as chess if you happen to use a chess piece whilst playing the game - computer games cannot be defined by what it is the player controls (beyond the media (computer/console) used itself). For this reason, just using a character in a game is not enough to define it as a cRPG - it's what you DO with the character that should define the type of game, nothing more.

Unfortunately, it is here that we have a problem with cRPG's. What is it that cRPG's allows players to DO (for themselves) that makes them unique, and distinct from any other type of game?

Or, to put it in a slightly different light - what is it a player can, (or SHOULD/must?) be able DO for him/herself in a (all) cRPG(s), that they cannot do in an action adventure game, such as the Grand Theft Auto series/Zelda etc.?

(Note: as I said above, puzzles, including interactive dialogue etc. (mazes in literary form), have no place in the definition of games!).
It's 15 parsecs to Kessel, we've replaced the negative power-coupling, it's dark and we're wearing welding goggles. Hit it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Fallout: New Vegas gets a hard date at the end of it's E3 trailer.
---------------------
And guys, let's try to keep the discussion to the RPG's at hand- may I suggest starting a new thread on discussions related to RPG and game theory?

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow, Bethesda's E3 stuff runs Tuesday-Thursday of this week (starts tomorrow). I'm really hoping some semblence of an ES title emerges, and I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't MMO based.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Wow, Bethesda's E3 stuff runs Tuesday-Thursday of this week (starts tomorrow). I'm really hoping some semblence of an ES title emerges, and I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't MMO based.

I agree. Elder Scrolls Online is a horrible idea unless they bring something truly new to the table. Sure, the Elder Scrolls lore is just as good as Warcraft. But WoW is the established juggernaut and a gameplay clone will just suck away resources that could be used to make Elder Scrolls V, with no guarantee of real success.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Grape Flavor wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

I agree. Elder Scrolls Online is a horrible idea unless they bring something truly new to the table. Sure, the Elder Scrolls lore is just as good as Warcraft. But WoW is the established juggernaut and a gameplay clone will just suck away resources that could be used to make Elder Scrolls V, with no guarantee of real success.

Yeah, that is my line of thinking. I don't think Bethesda/Zenimax has the ability to topple Wow. I don't think anyone is going to topple WoW for a long time, I think WoW will be its own undoing in the end. I think the lore/world of ES is much more in-depth and interesting than WoW's, and it would be great to see more of Tamriel, but I just don't envision it being successful at all.

But I also have my worries because if Oblivion is telling of anything, ES: V will be another dumbed down game aimed at the teen market. Which is why I had high hopes for Dragon Age, and by and large it was a more mature and interesting game. However the linearity made me scream.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Yeah, that is my line of thinking. I don't think Bethesda/Zenimax has the ability to topple Wow. I don't think anyone is going to topple WoW for a long time, I think WoW will be its own undoing in the end. I think the lore/world of ES is much more in-depth and interesting than WoW's, and it would be great to see more of Tamriel, but I just don't envision it being successful at all.

But I also have my worries because if Oblivion is telling of anything, ES: V will be another dumbed down game aimed at the teen market. Which is why I had high hopes for Dragon Age, and by and large it was a more mature and interesting game. However the linearity made me scream.

If by "dumbed down" you mean to the level of Oblivion, I could live with that. Sure the difficulty-leveling was obnoxiously transparent, but overall I had a great time - mods quickly mopped up most of the issues.

But if they come out saying "Oblivion was too hardcore, we're aiming more casual", yeah, run for the hills. But I'm fairly confident Bethesda won't double-cross TES fans, at least not with a SP main entry. Hopefully they'd realize it would devalue their flagship property.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Well E3 came and went with nary a word. Guess I'll just vanish until new rumors start swirling about and then I won't shutup :P

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 pm

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 am

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Another Dragon Age 2 update. Minor spoilers on the second page, be careful.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 am

Grrr, Dragon Age 2 looks absolutely crappy. I don't think I'll be purchasing it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:31 am

SecretMaster wrote:
Grrr, Dragon Age 2 looks absolutely crappy. I don't think I'll be purchasing it.

Based on?

I'll believe you if you're referencing what's been released, but I don't think they've released anything that looks representative of the final game.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:16 am

Diablo 3
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

I'm looking forward to Dungeon Siege 3 as well as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.
A man must have a code -Bunk

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 am

Airmantharp wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

Based on?

I'll believe you if you're referencing what's been released, but I don't think they've released anything that looks representative of the final game.

Based on this:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_2
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/dragon ... /#comments

So your stuck playing as a preset character, a human male named Hawke. As gimmicky as their Origins Concept was in DA:O, it was nice to have some sort of roleplaying aspect and feeling of choice. Not anymore. They're changing the dialogue system to how Mass Effect does it. Granted I've never played Mass Effect but personally I prefer the classic Bioware way of going about with dialogue. The one thing DA:O nailed perfectly was the dialogue interactions, it felt exactly like Baldur's Gate again.

If I did purchase it, at least I'd purchase it on a PC where combat wasn't dumbed down. There's a quote from the kotaku article "Sounds like your Dragon Age combat just got Oblivioned." It sounds like the whole friggin game got Oblivioned.

There are a lot of individuals still waiting for a true successor to the BG series. Dragon Age had hopes, though many of us were let down (after 5+ years of waiting for this game). Especially now with these brief snippets of information being provided, we'll still have to wait.

I'm still hoping on ES:V in the next 4 years to be a satisfactory game purchase. Of course they'll Oblivionize that game as well, if that is even possible (an Oblivioned Oblivion would be awful).