Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

bobboobles
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus questions

Thu May 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Microcenter has them for $19.99 and I'm thinking about grabbing one for my i7-860. It gets pretty hot during the summer in my room (80F and up) and I'd like a better, quieter cooler than the stock Intel.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0315397

Does this one come with thermal paste? The Newegg pictures show it included but I'm not sure. Would it be much better to use Arctic Silver anyways? An extra $13 :-?

And lastly, what do you use to clean the old paste from the CPU? I see the Arctic Silver Cleaner and that's another $6-8. I'd rather not spend as much on paste and cleaning supplies as the new cooler itself!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus questions

Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 am

bobboobles wrote:
Microcenter has them for $19.99 and I'm thinking about grabbing one for my i7-860. It gets pretty hot during the summer in my room (80F and up) and I'd like a better, quieter cooler than the stock Intel.
Just need to make sure you case is wide (or "tall") enough to accommodate the tower style heatsink. For the most part if you have a mid tower and up case it should be fine. The Hyper 212+ is not a high tower to begin with.

bobboobles wrote:
Would it be much better to use Arctic Silver anyways? An extra $13 :-?
Unless you are overclocking a lot and have a really hot room, I suppose the paste that comes with the HSF should be ok enough. Since you are going to a Microcenter, perhaps you can get them to open it up to show you the paste is there?

bobboobles wrote:
And lastly, what do you use to clean the old paste from the CPU? I see the Arctic Silver Cleaner and that's another $6-8. I'd rather not spend as much on paste and cleaning supplies as the new cooler itself!
Some say Goo Gone is good. I use 99% alcohol. You will also need something to wipe the surfaces down, such as q-tips. Then some canned air to make sure remaining fibres are gone. You probably need to buy something to begin with.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 21, 2010 9:09 am

I have one, but can't remember if it came with paste; I wanna say yes it did. I can check when I get home. although reviews snd Newegg pics all say yes.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... /parts.htm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGall ... U%20Cooler

Also, the HSF is very tall, so much sure your case can fit it.

On the plus side, the cooling level and quietness of this HSF is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

Also, the fact that it is a bolt in HSF means you never have to worry about how well it is making conact, or of it coming off when you move your PC.

moriz
Gerbil XP

Fri May 21, 2010 11:29 am

i have one of these, and it did come with its own paste. i have no idea how well it performed though, since i just used arctic silver 5.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 pm

I used the included paste on the coolermaster hyper 212+ for about 4 months, and have recently switched to Acrtic silver 5. The difference was negligible. I'd say maybe 1-2C difference better with the AS5, but that cooler which I believe FlyingFox suggested to me in another thread has allowed for some massive overclocks. One core i5 750 system easily overclocked to 3.6GHz, and the other is at 4.1GHz, and temps are never a problem. I highly recommend it as a great buy!

bobboobles
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I just ordered one. Not worth the 40 mile drive 2 ways hehe. It should fit in my case; my conservative measurements leave me with about 3/4" to spare or more since I'm not sure how high my CPU sits since I don't have the HSF off. Not much room to spare, and my case isn't that tiny - a Lancool PC-K56.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2010 2:58 pm

So I got mine today and just got done installing it a while ago. My case has a cutout behind the mobo so I didn't have to take anything out but I took out my video card for some extra room up front.

Had a little trouble putting in the back brace since the motherboard cutout isn't placed very well. It covers half of 2 holes. :roll: Nothing a pair of needle nose pliers couldn't solve.
Cleaned off the CPU with Goof Off and alcohol and got to work on the new heat sink. The thermal paste that comes with it is certainly a paste. I thought it would be thinner, but this is pretty thick and dry. I smeared it into the cracks between the heat pipes and kinda played the rest by ear. I read this and basically did what he did except I did 3 lines since there's more spaces on my heat sink.

Lined everything up and bolted it down. You can still twist the HS a bit; hope that's normal. I don't think it's going anywhere without me moving my case cross country though. Snapped the fan on and closed her up.

Turned my computer on and every thing works great! The fan is pretty quiet when I've got it set on auto or w/e. It has a speed where it starts squealing, but stops once it spins up faster or slower. Temperatures are pretty good. Cooler than ambient which is awesome since our AC is out and being fixed atm haha. My room is about 29.5C and Core Temp is showing 27C. Not sure if either thermometer is accurate but there ya go. I haven't really stressed it yet, but I did some stuff in Lightroom that maxes out the CPU and it topped out at 56C.

Can't wait till our AC is fixed haha. :evil:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed May 26, 2010 4:10 pm

bobboobles wrote:
Cleaned off the CPU with Goof Off and alcohol and got to work on the new heat sink. The thermal paste that comes with it is certainly a paste. I thought it would be thinner, but this is pretty thick and dry. I smeared it into the cracks between the heat pipes and kinda played the rest by ear. I read this and basically did what he did except I did 3 lines since there's more spaces on my heat sink.
Too bad you did not take pictures, or you can add to this discussion. May be next time.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Didn't even think about taking pictures. :x I guess my brain wasn't functioning at full capacity since it was so hot up here. The AC is all better now that the repair man pumped 2.5 lbs of freon in it!

With the AC finally working, it's 23.9C (75F) in my room. Idle is 23-24C and max load is 59C and 56C on two cores each. I downloaded IntelBurnTest and ran it through max a few times and that's as hot as it got. I'm not overclocking and I don't really plan on it, so with the reduced noise at full fan speed I'm happy. Lowering the temperature is an added bonus.

I tried to find a straight down view, but this was the best I could find. Since I forgot to take pics I'll share some of my MS Paint skills. ;)

The long red lines are just paste filling in the cracks. I skipped the outer cracks since the CPU doesn't really go that far. The two salmon colors are what I applied for the CPU. Two fairly fat ones on the inner pipes and two really thin ones on the outer two for good measure.

ALIAS
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 pm

i just bought one of these coolers. it says it has a PWN fan so i can chain that fan with the 2 arctic cooling 120 mm PWN case fans and plug into the cpu fan power pin right? or do i need to put the cases fan on the chassis fan power pin? for some reason i can not get the arctic cooling fans to work when connected to the chassis fan power pin on an asus sabertooth x58 board. i had to chain them with the retail intel fan and they are spinning slow as hell. i was using a zerotherm 120 mm HSF unit before with the Arctic Cooling fans and they worked just fine and were quiet. im hoping the Cooler Master Hyper 212 gives me similar results. and i dont see it being a problem fitting in my Antec P160 case because the Zerotherm heatsink was just as big.
i7-4770k, ASRock Z87 Extreme6, Radeon R9 270, 16 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-2133, Creative SB Z, OCZ Vertex 460 240 GB SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black HDD, Windows 10 Pro