Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Dude, where's my 4GB?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am

aff_tim wrote:
sounds like an investment priority of faster GPU instead of more video card ram would be prudent for system ram optimization.

Or you could get an x64 OS and not have to deal with half of this madness. :wink:
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:17 pm

aff_tim wrote:
sounds like the available memory is actually a moving target with the % of on board video ram being utilized at any given instant to be a factor involved in the available system memory issue.
No, that's not how it works. A given video card has a set of registers that specify how much space it wants in the system memory map for DMA operations. This may or may not correspond to how much RAM is on the card, but it's set in stone by the firmware on the card. At boot, your system's BIOS reads these registers and sets aside that area. When Windows boots, that chunk of the physical memory map is already unavailable. It does not change over time; the only way it would change is if you flashed a different firmware on the card (and perhaps not even then).

But we're already at the point where more on-card video memory is giving limited returns; mostly it's useful for people running at high resolutions (and/or high AA levels). Doubling the video memory from 512MB to 1GB may give you 3 or 4 FPS in something like Far Cry, and next to nothing in other games. Of course, that may change in the future, but given that games these days seem to be optimized for consoles with their much lower resources, i wouldn't count on it. (There are some wrinkles in DX10/11 that may make that memory more useful, but the ability to do demand paging from system memory mitigates that somewhat since games can also be more efficient in how they use on-board memory.)
but as I now understand it, on-board video chips using system ram is not the resource hog I perceived the on-board chip to be.
& the new side port video memory is actually of less benefit than would appear at 1st (well marketed) glance.
There's still contention on the bus for that system memory, so it's still much slower than dedicated memory. Sideport memory or on-card memory belongs to the GPU alone, and that makes a difference. Dedicated cards also tend to use fast memory optimized for graphics ops.
SuperSpy wrote:
Or you could get an x64 OS and not have to deal with half of this madness. :wink:
Yeah. But on older hardware that may not help, since (as we've discussed multiple times) there are motherboards that will accept a 64bit CPU but don't offer the option of hoisting RAM above the area set aside for DMA devices, and/or don't offer more than 32bits of physical address lines.

aff_tim
Gerbil

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:45 am

I had to look up some stuff up to understand (NOT) the system RAM issues clarified (? :lol: ) by monseigneur urbergerbil.

DMA = direct memory access
DMA operation: Interaction between the main CPU and DMA device.
Many hardware systems use DMA including disk drive controllers, graphics cards, network cards and sound cards. DMA is also used for intra-chip data transfer in multi-core processors,

modern devices include their own DMA controllers on the device itself. Drivers for these devices must obtain the physical addresses to be used for data transfers and for command/status access and map them into the device registers.

Direct memory access (DMA) is a feature of modern computers and microprocessors that allows certain hardware subsystems within the computer to access system memory for reading and/or writing independently of the central processing unit.

Computers that have DMA channels can transfer data to and from devices with much less CPU overhead than computers without a DMA channel.

With DMA, the CPU would initiate the transfer, do other operations while the transfer is in progress, and receive an interrupt from the DMA controller once the operation has been done.
Without DMA, using programmed input/output (PIO) mode for communication with peripheral devices, or load/store instructions in the case of multicore chips, the CPU is typically fully occupied for the entire duration of the read or write operation, and is thus unavailable to perform other work.

:roll: :o
I just got a personal blue screen
.. quite amazing what goes on inside the box .. in addition to the fans. that I understand :oops:

http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantr ... 0%28DMA%29
http://docsrv.sco.com/HDK_concepts/ddT_dma.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access

oh,
2 to the 32nd (32 bit OS) = 4,294,967,296
& 4 gig = 4,096,000,000
WTF 8)
They think they can make fuel from horse manure.... Now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning.

SuperSpy

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:59 pm

aff_tim wrote:
& 4 gig = 4,096,000,000
WTF 8)

4 gig is 2^32, whoever quoted 4,096,000,000 is rounding :P
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:53 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
aff_tim wrote:
& 4 gig = 4,096,000,000
WTF 8)

4 gig is 2^32, whoever quoted 4,096,000,000 is rounding :P

Severely so.

4 GiB = 4,096 MiB = 4,194,304 KiB = 4,294,967,296 Bytes

The memory system addresses 8 bit blocks.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:57 pm

That'd be 4 kiMB. Kibimegabytes, because you're mixing measurement methods.

Not that that hasn't been done before, of course.

Floppy disks aren't 1.44 MiB or 1.44 MB. They're 1.44 kkiB.

aff_tim
Gerbil

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:26 pm

ah, 4096meg ..not ..
DOH!
:oops:
They think they can make fuel from horse manure.... Now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:10 pm

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind...................
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 am

I have a question about 4GB of RAM and "memory remapping" option in BIOS. i have recently upgraded my PC and reinstalled my 32-bit OS. When I enable this option I typically end up with a "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" BSOD, disabling it makes my PC freeze with a high-pitched noise from my speakers.. Now I am not sure whether this BIOS option was enabled or disabled when I was installing my OS, so can anyone tell what how it may be related to new 32-bit installs, or changing it after the installation? Will reinstalling my PCI devices solve the problem, provided I leave it disabled for my 32-bit OS?

I have an X-Fi xtreme music and a TV tuner, both PCI cards..

Thanks!
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sat May 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Anyone?
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 08, 2010 5:01 pm

You know, it really isn't good form to bump a post after only 3 hours.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 am

bhtooefr wrote:
You know, it really isn't good form to bump a post after only 3 hours.

Well, my apologies if I sounded very demanding by doing that.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 09, 2010 10:55 am

If you have a spare hard drive, just do a quick from-scratch install with remapping disabled to see if it helps.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun May 09, 2010 2:25 pm

On a 32bit OS the setting of this switch shouldn't matter: if it's off, some RAM is inaccessible because it is shadowed by the PCI devices; if it is on, the RAM is inaccessible because it is remapped above the 4GB boundary.

If you are getting errors no matter which way this switch is set (even if they differ in detail) it's possible the problem has nothing to do with the switch. Are you sure your memory is all good (run a memtest on it)?

If you're not encountering a hardware problem (like bad memory) then it's possible that you're hitting some problem with the drivers. You said you upgraded your PC -- was the system running properly with the new hardware before you tried re-installing the OS? What 32bit OS are you trying to install (XP?) Have you tried installing the OS without the new hardware (it's possible Windows is detecting the new hardware and selecting drivers for it, but the default drivers that you'd have on any original Windows XP CD would be very old and might have problems with newer hardware)?

Since we're talking about a 32bit OS and possibly other hardware problems that likely has nothing to do with memory remapping or the 4GB limit (and "lost" RAM below that) you might want to open a fresh thread for this.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sun May 09, 2010 3:47 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
On a 32bit OS the setting of this switch shouldn't matter: if it's off, some RAM is inaccessible because it is shadowed by the PCI devices; if it is on, the RAM is inaccessible because it is remapped above the 4GB boundary.

If you are getting errors no matter which way this switch is set (even if they differ in detail) it's possible the problem has nothing to do with the switch. Are you sure your memory is all good (run a memtest on it)?

If you're not encountering a hardware problem (like bad memory) then it's possible that you're hitting some problem with the drivers. You said you upgraded your PC -- was the system running properly with the new hardware before you tried re-installing the OS? What 32bit OS are you trying to install (XP?) Have you tried installing the OS without the new hardware (it's possible Windows is detecting the new hardware and selecting drivers for it, but the default drivers that you'd have on any original Windows XP CD would be very old and might have problems with newer hardware)?

Since we're talking about a 32bit OS and possibly other hardware problems that likely has nothing to do with memory remapping or the 4GB limit (and "lost" RAM below that) you might want to open a fresh thread for this.

I figured it out, it was my RAM that was at fault.. I have bought 2x2GB of OCZ sticks that are rated for 1600MHz and both sticks fail at recommended settings and one of them causes BSODs at whatever setting is used.
How ironic, I payed an extra for premium and looks like I'll pay more to RMA it, speak of "thoroughly tested" and "premium quality"..

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun May 09, 2010 5:01 pm

axeman wrote:
Friends don't let friends buy OCZ.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sun May 09, 2010 6:16 pm

First time buying OCZ and don't happen to have friends that can give that level of an advice..BUT it looks like I bought the sticks at a fantastic price when they first appeared on the Danish market and now they cost almost 40% more :o Gonna RMA and sell them, so the price can cover my RMA expenses+a pair of low-voltage G.Skill sticks :lol:

Just to stay within the topic, i have to mention that one shouldn't fiddle with "memory remapping" feature after an install.. Looks like changing it may affect your PCI sound card, provided you have one, or your GFX card, since my system froze when the feature got enabled and I played some flash videos that are accelerated by the GPU.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm

So SysInternals' new RamMap utility (mentioned in today's shortbread, which prompted me to update this thread) can give folks a graphical verification that their x64 system is indeed "hoisting" the RAM above the 4GB boundary.

Here's an x64 system with 4GB of physical RAM. Note the .75GB mapped above 4GB (aka 0x100000000).

This is a fun tool if this kind of stuff interests you, though you have to have a bit of knowledge to make sense of what you're seeing. (Vista/Win7 only, and you need Admin rights.)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri May 21, 2010 2:26 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
So SysInternals' new RamMap utility (mentioned in today's shortbread, which prompted me to update this thread) can give folks a graphical verification that their x64 system is indeed "hoisting" the RAM above the 4GB boundary.

Here's an x64 system with 4GB of physical RAM. Note the .75GB mapped above 4GB (aka 0x100000000).

[Link to picture]

This is a fun tool if this kind of stuff interests you, though you have to have a bit of knowledge to make sense of what you're seeing. (Vista/Win7 only, and you need Admin rights.)

I see that in memtest86+ too. It splits each test into multiple runs with their own percentages, weird at first but kind of funny now that I am used to it. Sometimes I would see like the 256K-16M range gets scanned, and then it is the 32M - 2240M, and then 3000M - 3200M. It jumps around. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I see that in memtest86+ too. It splits each test into multiple runs with their own percentages, weird at first but kind of funny now that I am used to it. Sometimes I would see like the 256K-16M range gets scanned, and then it is the 32M - 2240M, and then 3000M - 3200M. It jumps around. ;)

Some of that might be due to something other than RAM hoisting. I'm pretty sure Memtest86+ tests the RAM occupied by its own program code by moving itself out of the way, then testing the RAM it previously occupied.

YeuEmMaiMai
Gerbil

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:14 am

This applies to WIndows NT x86 when you do not use PAE.

1. The OS total addressable memory space is 4GB, this includes physical ram and the device I/O table.

This applies when using PAE.

1. PCI devices must support > 32bit addressing ( a whole crapload of them do not) for best stability and performance. Creative labs anyone?

now for the fun stuff

The PC device IO map was always at the top of the memory space on the PC platorm (dos and windows) as this allows for the system to use all the physical ram. The only time you run into a situation where you canoot see all of the physical ram is when you reach the limits of the platform's memory addressing space. Go back to the 8086 days when the machine could see 1MB ram and memory above 640K was pretty much reserved for device I/O (and a few other things). Same thing with PCI device I/O map, it's always at the top of the memory space.

The reason we have remap feature instead of just contining to move the PCI I/O map to the top of the memory stac has everything to do with what is mentioned above (it would cause a lot of hardware to malfunction.
Strong or weak in the end we are all dead.

freebird
Gerbil

Re:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 am

Krogoth wrote:
Blame the ancient resource allocation methods for the ~4GB memory limit problems. It mostly goes back to when x86 architect was making the jump from 16bit to 32bit. The designers in those days thought 4GB will never be reached in desktop form factors and 1024KBs (yes you had read that right) was the norm for system memory. ;)

At around that same time there was another problem. In areas where 1024KBs wasn't enough. You had to buy an expensive, separate memory module along with a software hack known as EMS or Extended Memory System.

The 4GB problems is just deja vu all over again! :D

It will all resolved once x86-64 OS and platforms practically phased out aging x86 platform.

I guess you mean x86 32-bit support? That still might take awhile...since even Virtual 8086 mode is still supported by modern processors.

The 80386 (circa 1985-86) was the 1st true 32-bit x86 designed chip, at the time most software was designed for DOS (MS or IBM) and 640K user space and 384K of memory mapped IO for a total of 1MB. So with the 80386 the 4GB limit wasn't thought of to be an issue for ANY foreseeable future... it lasted a good 25 years... not bad.

The 8088 & 8086 could only address 1MB of memory,(I'll skip over the barely used 80186 chip) followed by the 80286, which expanded the address space to 16MB in a broken protected-mode...which operated like the roach motel, once you entered you could never leave...

Anyhow, it took nearly ten years for software/OSes to catch up with the 80386s 32-bit design and run an actual 32-bit OS via OS/2 or Windows NT.

Quote from 'MS-DOS beyond 640K working with Extended and Expanded Memory" by James Forney (1989)
"Buying chips in quantity, the end-user cost has come down to about $250,000 per gigabyte with 1-meg chips/SIMMs."

Considering at the time it would cost a full $1 Million dollars for the physical memory and that no system could actually hold that many SIMMs, I think the 4GB limit got us a long way! ;)

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Nice input, but you realize that the last post in this thread was 6 years ago? :lol:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

The Egg

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:03 pm

morphine wrote:
Nice input, but you realize that the last post in this thread was 6 years ago? :lol:

I was just thinking that this topic can probably be un-pinned.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Agreed, and done.

Edit: Someone beat me to it...