Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Xigmatek S1283 cooler expert question

Sat May 29, 2010 7:23 pm

I need someone who has some experience with Xigmatek S1283 cooler. While this is rather difficult to explain without pics but I'll try my best. If not, perhaps I'll come up with some later on.

I have an AM2+ PhII 940 in sig. I bought S1283 to replace my Core Contact Freezer which was too large (it's a long story). Doing some research on the net before purchase I also bought the Enzotech Type S bracket so I could mount my fan vertically rather than horizontally which was intended by the mfr for AMD systems. I took the original Asus/AMD bracket off and put the new one on. That was easy. There are 4 screws sticking out of the bracket towards the top to mount the heatsink (don't confuse with 4 screws that screw into the motherboard backplate).

Now here is the fun part. I had 4 brackets that came with S1283. Two of which were for Intel 1175, the other two slightly smaller. Those last 2 technically fit but they had little tabs on them which would only allow me to screw them onto the heatsink itself in 2 specific ways. Neither way would work with my AM2+ as the heatsink ended up being either way above the processor with no contact or way above the screws with no way to screw it on. After some pondering and trying to figure out the damn puzzle I realized that the only way to go is to take those tabs off. They are made of thick metal (steel?) so dremeling them took a little while. When done I was able to mount the heatsink using my own set of nuts (no pun intended) and washers. The rig started ok and the temps are decent (slightly lower than CCF).

Here are my concerns:

1. I was forced to use my own pieces (nuts and washers) which weren't included in either set. Were there any other options? I found that fasteners for I-1775 would not fit the holes on the type S bracket so screws seemed like the only option
2. This being a pure hack job with a Dremel, I screwed the nuts on the bolts with a wrench and all 4 are probably in slightly different positions resulting in uneven force on 4 corners of the CPU

So what do you guys think, should I keep the awful hack which does seem to work ok so far (typing this on that system) or should I try to locate some conversion brackets to make this look like an I-1775 and then use the proper hardware? Could I damage my system this way in the long run?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Xigmatek S1283 cooler expert question

Sat May 29, 2010 7:30 pm

If the pressure's within the acceptable range and relatively even across the processor, you're not doing any harm.

It's possible that you were shipped the wrong brackets, or you just didn't manage to translate the Chinglish instructions well enough to figure out which way to turn the ones that you did receive.
http://www.xigmatek.com/download/HDTS12 ... manual.pdf
http://www.xigmatek.com/download/Binder-usermanual.pdf

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Xigmatek S1283 cooler expert question

Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. How do I know what acceptable range is? I didn't tighten them all the way, just enough to feel that they're fairly tight.

The first link is the copy of the manual they included with the unit itself. The second appears to be something I don't have. I looked at the lower pictures and it does seem like I'm doing pretty much what they're doing only using different nuts/washers. It's unfortunate I don't have the pieces they show there such as Allen-type screws, etc.