Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: General photography thread [img heavy]

Fri May 28, 2010 10:57 pm

@ SPOOFE: Haha no probs.

Yesterday was Wesak (Buddha's Birthday), so I took my camera out to get some shots of the parade. Turns out the GF1 + PL45 is not the best tool for capturing moving subjects, but I still wound up with a few keepers.

Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 29, 2010 2:07 am

Went to the Colorado Rockies vs. LA Dodgers game Friday night, and conveniently had picked up a new toy from Craigslist on Thursday: The Canon 70-200mm f/4L.

First, for reference, here is the view from a 20mm focal length, which shows where I was sitting with respect to the game:

Here, in the late afternoon light, is the view at 200mm f/4.0, with a 1/500 exposure time and 200 ISO:

And here, in the night lighting, is the view at 180mm f/4.0, with a 1/500 exposure time and 800 ISO:

It's sharp enough to justify a crop:

And here's the part that blows me away -- the following shot was extracted from the above at nearly a 1:1 ratio (almost no scaling):

Amazing stuff. This lens and I are going to have some good times together.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Here comes a photo bomb...first, a wedding I shot about a month ago, and second, the vacation I'm currently on in Colorado. I will be posting more pictures from the vacation I'm sure, and even later I have another wedding to post...

May 1st wedding:

Colorado (wide angle images taken with my new Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6, it is absolutely crazy...)

This is the view from our room, this is a pano-stitch from 9 pictures.

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Sun May 30, 2010 5:01 am

I've been following this thread for quite some time and thought I'd finally post something here. I've just started learning with my first DSLR, the Olympus E-620. The following pics were clicked using the 40-150mm f3.5-5.6 II kit lens, all except the last at 150mm f5.6 ISO 800 with the last one at 79mm f4.7 ISO 800. All developed from RAW with basic post-processing(Vivid mode, contrast increase, curve adjustment and unsharp mask) in Olympus Viewer 2. I struggle with post-processing but realize that it is an important skill to learn.
This is a crop from the pic which follows.

Used the pin-hole art filter for this one and the next.

Voldenuit

Sun May 30, 2010 11:25 am

@ Jobodaho: some very nice wedding pics (I especially like the second and the B&Ws).

I've been keeping an eye out for wedding photographers of late, and I certainly appreciate your style.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
I've been keeping an eye out for wedding photographers of late, and I certainly appreciate your style.

I'm always willing to travel... ;)

Thanks for the compliments!!!

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Some more from Colorado...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 31, 2010 12:09 am

jobo, is that the place that makes those super ultra mega heart attack on a plate burgers with something like 50 ingrediants including ice cream and ****.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 31, 2010 8:28 am

Heiwashin wrote:
jobo, is that the place that makes those super ultra mega heart attack on a plate burgers with something like 50 ingrediants including ice cream and ****.

The place with the dollar bills all over? I'm not quite sure, although their green chili was amazing...

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon May 31, 2010 4:40 pm

jobodaho, awesome pics! How's the Sigma 8-16 working out overall? I'm trying to decide between it and the Canon 10-22. When you shoot weddings, what lenses do you use most?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
jobodaho, awesome pics! How's the Sigma 8-16 working out overall? I'm trying to decide between it and the Canon 10-22. When you shoot weddings, what lenses do you use most?

Thanks FireGryphon! The Sigma 8-16mm is incredible...and can really take getting used to. 8mm can really make a difference in many situations, and when you zoom in to 10-12mm it is pretty much distortion free, which you can't say about any other ultra-wide. That being said, when I shot Canon I tried the 10-22, and it is also really good...and it can take filters, which the Sigma cannot with its rather large, bulging front element.

As for weddings, my work horse is my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, which produces the majority of my favorite shots. Other than that, my second D90 switches between my 35mm f/1.8, 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0, and my 10-17mm fisheye. I'm not sure if I will use the 8-16mm for weddings...it actually makes people look more weird than the fisheye to me...

Voldenuit

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 pm

Three studies in light:

Wind, Sand and Stars.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 pm

The last group from Colorado:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Jobodaho -- Where did you shoot the ghost town images?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:56 am

My attempts at recreating how the world looks to me during a daydream. "Mostly" achieved via the camera with a bit of work in Lightroom.

Voldenuit

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:32 am

Been a productive few days of shooting. Showing relatives around town, so I got the opportunity to revisit and revise some of the shooting locations I'd been to recently.

Butterfly laying egg.

Wind, Sand and Stars.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:58 am

Here are a few examples from the wedding I shot on May 8th:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:30 am

ludi wrote:

Still wondering?

Geatian
Gerbil

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 am

Love the praying mantis picture, Vold. I used to play with those as a kid; that one looks wayyy cooler than what you can find in Oregon, though. 8)

Here's a few recent shots:

Voldenuit

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:57 am

@ jobodaho: some great wedding pics there. Love the one with the bride 'waiting' (impatiently?), and the couple walking down the aisle. The chemistry between them is great, and you did a good job capturing that.

Geatian wrote:
Love the praying mantis picture, Vold. I used to play with those as a kid; that one looks wayyy cooler than what you can find in Oregon, though. 8)

@ Geatian - thanks! Guess my father's orchid obsession finally paid off ;).

Looks like you're having fun with the 70-200/2.8L. Did some macro lens testing (Canon 100/2.8, Canon 100/2.8, Tamron 60/2, Tamron 90/2.8 ) for the 40D because my father was looking for something to shoot orchids with. A bit surprised at how much LoCA there was in all the above lenses - really casts the PL45 in a new light for me. Ended up going the 'cheap' option and getting him a Raynox 250, which actually worked surprisingly well with the kit zoom. Soft at the edges, but good central sharpness, decent bokeh and little LoCA. Seeing as he has picked up his camera maybe half a dozen times in the past 3 years, I thought I should see how much he uses it before springing a few hundred dollars on a dedicated macro lens. I'm pretty taken with the Tamron 60/2, though - nice little lens with full time MF and nice fast aperture for portraits. Was more expensive than the Canon 60/2.8, but might be worth it for the faster aperture.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:33 am

ludi wrote:
ludi wrote:

Still wondering?

So sorry...must of missed that comment some how...

While my family was roaming around shopping in Breckenridge I found a small little area between stores with a ton of old equipment strewn about...the area was quite small, but I did my best to make the most of it.

@Voldenuit: Thanks a bunch! They were really fun to work with, and I ended up staying at the reception a few hours after I was off duty...
Last edited by jobodaho on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 am

Voldenuit wrote:
I'm pretty taken with the Tamron 60/2, though - nice little lens with full time MF and nice fast aperture for portraits. Was more expensive than the Canon 60/2.8, but might be worth it for the faster aperture.
According to the reviews, the Tamron is so soft wide open that its one-stop advantage isn't usable.

Voldenuit

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:51 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:
I'm pretty taken with the Tamron 60/2, though - nice little lens with full time MF and nice fast aperture for portraits. Was more expensive than the Canon 60/2.8, but might be worth it for the faster aperture.
According to the reviews, the Tamron is so soft wide open that its one-stop advantage isn't usable.

Bobatkins seemed to think the lens was sharp at f/2 (and even sharper stopped down) http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_60mm_f2_macro_review1.html

Photozone.de also seemed to like it (tested on Nikon): http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/481-tamron_60_20_nikon?start=1

photozone.de wrote:
Macro lenses usually are very sharp and the Tamron 60 is no exception to this rule. Wide open, center and border show very good sharpness, stopped down to f/4 the resolution figures are excellent.

Nobody would be shooting macro at f/2 on an APS-C camera anyway, but the Tamron makes for a good portrait lens wide open because of its pleasing bokeh and shallow DOF.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:08 am

For those of you who do lighting setups, what do you use? Since I got my 430EXII flash I've been experimenting with it off-camera both alone and in conjunction with the 7D's built-in flash. Most of the time I am displeased with how the lighting ends up. The flash either creates harsh shadows or doesn't go off at all. I've gotten better with experimentation, but it's still not what I've seen others achieve with off-camera lighting. Hopefully this'll spark a mini-discussion about lighting so we can all learn something from it.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

jobodaho wrote:
While my family was roaming around shopping in Breckenridge I found a small little area between stores with a ton of old equipment strewn about...the area was quite small, but I did my best to make the most of it.

Ah, okay. There are still a couple areas in Colorado where you can find actual ghost town buildings with that sort of look, so I was wondering if you had gotten out to one of them. But some of the older mining and ski town areas can be pretty interesting, too.

Recent shooting with the 70-200mm f/4L:
Bullock's Oriole perched on a Red Hot Poker (Torch Lilly):

It's a very skittish bird, so I was at 200mm from about forty feet away.

Sunset a week ago Saturday:

Just before sunset tonight, this time with the 20mm f/2.8 USM:

I love the Film Noir look of that last one, which was achieved entirely without post processing or a filter -- just the right place at the right time.

Beomagi
Gerbil

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:57 pm

You guys have some brilliant pics - really love those insect macros.

Vold, that butterfly is stunning. Makes me want that 45mm ;)

Here's my contribution. Couple randoms from the peanut gallery.

Voldenuit

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Beomagi wrote:
Vold, that butterfly is stunning. Makes me want that 45mm ;)

Thanks! Those HDRs of yours are pretty awesome yourself. I'd never thought of doing macro HDR before. Then again, my HDR skills are pretty weak at the moment.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:06 am

Preview of coming attractions: The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro arrived from eBay sooner than expected, so I fired off a few quick test shots. Here's one of the better results (f/6.3, 1/160th second at ISO 400):

For context, that image is uncropped, the flower is about the size of a US dime, and the camera was hand-held. I don't think I'm going to miss the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro I was originally looking at, this here will do very nicely for the immediate future.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 am

Went out to the desert for shooting these past couple days; only uploaded a few so far (the rest will wait for my tired little self to play with tomorrow), but for now, we start out with a brief lesson in alternative methods of lighting a scene...

... And follow it up with a very succinct reminder of the importance of physics in our day to day lives, as shown by what used to be the shell for an old computer case...

And to wrap up this short entry, let us reflect on things much greater than ourselves:

And that's that. Tomorrow: Lectures in Desert Body Paint, a dissertation on airborne bullet casings, and the futility of threatening inanimate objects...

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 am

My god Spoofe..... that last shot........ teach...... me..... your.... ways :|

I love the colors in it, you've got the amazingly dark sky with the highlighted mountains, and just enough exposure to see the milky-way without overdoing it. Bravo.
Unfortunately I haven't had much time to pick back up on the learning process as far as camera's go, instead I've been cramming English and Anthropology into my brain with the state of college :O. The most i've done with my camera in 2 months was wipe it out for an AMAZING rainbow that popped out of now-where. It was a full arch, and actually double arched (one rainbow forming directly over the other)........ And I put it on auto, I know... shameful. It only lasted 2 minutes or so. I'll have to look through and see if any are even half decent.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x