Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Memorable baseball day

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Griffey retired today, and a really bad call which prevents a perfect game. Really no more substance to this post, although I am sad to see Griffey go (although happy for him to retire since it seems like it was his choice).

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Memorable baseball day

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 pm

I've always felt a bit bad for Griffey. He was on every friend's wall in poster form in my early childhood. Then... gone. His career literally evaporated when he went to the Reds after that first season. Looking at his numbers it's hard to imagine where he would be historically if he wasn't ruined by injuries. 630 HRs, 5th all time, and that's with 4 years wasted when he could have been hitting 35+ a season.

As for James Joyce... it was stupid. Not just that he missed the call but that it should have been automatic. That's a time when you ignore the "runner gets the tie" rule (it wasn't a tie even) and give it to the pitcher. It's a perfect game! Even worse though is that the replay is incredibly clear, the runner was out all day. Baseball constantly feels ancient because Selig refuses to take the steps towards making it a more far game. The human element in spots is the players, not umpires who can do nothing but potentially ruin these moments.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:20 am

What I don't get about this is why the league doesn't make a special ruling to overturn that call. It's not like doing so is going to give the Tigers a win they would otherwise not have had.

OTOH I can see why you'd leave it alone - maybe they should give the Cardinals the 1985 World Series, too. :p

I feel bad for Griffey - he was hurt so much in the early part of the decade. In 2000, he was the guy everyone expected to surpass Hank Aaron and to see him fall short due to injury is sad. Still, the guy could flat-out rake prior to all that, and you saw flashes of his brilliance again in his last couple years in Cincy.

Prior to his retirement was he the last active player leftover from the Simpsons episode with like Mattingly and Ozzie and the like?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:50 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
What I don't get about this is why the league doesn't make a special ruling to overturn that call. It's not like doing so is going to give the Tigers a win they would otherwise not have had.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5246454
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:59 am

well that's good news. Not sure what's to decide - once you open the door to the possibility aren't you obligated to go through it? :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I have to say that I also disagree with the official scorer''s decision. He was not obligated to award a hit on that play (thus breaking up even the no hitter), and my reasoning is that the ball clearly beat the runner to the bag, so some type of error on the defense (at least in eyes of the umpire at the time) must have prevented an out from being recorded. The scorer could then have ruled a fielding error on the pitcher, and left the no hitter. Even if it wasn't in the context of the potential last out of a PG I think its a borderline error/hit call - a difficult play but the ball clearly beat the runner and a out was not recorded.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
well that's good news. Not sure what's to decide - once you open the door to the possibility aren't you obligated to go through it? :p

With the wonderfully-decisive Bud Selig making the call?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Yeah, I know, but this seems brain-dead simple even for him.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Selig will roll over and croak before he overturns anything.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

magicstasis
Gerbil

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Bit of a sad night last night. I was all set to get some work done but then I was enamored by the blown call (safe by a mile) and Griffey's retirement. Sad to see the Kid go that way but he really should've hung them up last year. And the way the M's season was going it's as good a time now than ever.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Jive wrote:
Selig will roll over and croak before he overturns anything.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5248118

Give the man a cigar. In return, he'll "look at expanded replay".

I'm torn on the whole replay issue, be it any sport. I'd like the calls to be 100% correct but know that that is not possible for humans. I also would rather see the games flow naturally instead of having these ever-longer replay breaks (whatever happened to 90 seconds and the monitor cut out, NFL?). IMO we've become too obsessed with perfection simply because TV can show the slo-mo. I may be a bit of a Luddite here, but my preferred option is to leave the human element in the game and let the leagues forbid TV broadcasters, as part of the contract, from showing slo-mo. Radical? Certainly, but I remember a day when "slo-mo" was still far too grainy to be definite on plays like this.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 pm

The human element is the players. People constantly bring this up as if the players are robots and the officials are humans. No, the players are humans and the officials should be robots. Having accurate calls every time means we know for certain which human is the best at the sport.

Time taken for replays is hardly an issue. Games are lasting longer for reasons beyond that. In baseball the ever increasing time pitchers are taking and batters stepping out of the box. Fixing those is actually very easy. In other sports constant TV time outs have not only made the games last longer but have significantly changed them, for instance in basketball keeping a player in longer is possible thanks to the additional breaks in play time.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Griffey should never have gone back to Seattle. Its really a shame the way he got totally hosed by his body in the early '00s. For a while there, he had the sweetest swing in the game and he really seemed to enjoy playing. All that stopped when he started getting hurt.

As to the blown call, somewhere Don Denkinger is smiling.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!