Folding Question with Ubuntu VM

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

Folding Question with Ubuntu VM

Postposted on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:33 am

I am looking to get back in the game with folding again for as long as I possibly can. I just picked up the new Phenom x6 1055T, and obviously want to overclock it and fold. My question is it better to fold in Ubuntu in a VM with the smp than it will be with Windows 7. I know when I was folding before it was much better to do it in Ubuntu. In addition I read that the latest Ubuntu has had problems folding. Should I use an older Ubuntu because I don't run to many other things in it other than to tinker with it.

Also because of RAM prices I have had to downgrade from 8gb (which I know does VM easily) to 4gb. I will upgrade this first when I get a spare $100. Is this too little RAM to VM with and fold?
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Re: Folding Question with Ubuntu VM

Postposted on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Unless you are running 8+ Cores (which you aren't with an X6), you can run Win SMP just as efficiently as Linux VM SMP. Also, the WIn SMP client takes almost no RAM compared to a VM.

That said, if you are still going to run Ubuntu, then there are some known issues with 10.04: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72116

- JP
JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Folding Question with Ubuntu VM

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am

Okay. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I was folding as efficiently as possible :D

I can't wait for my 10 WU's to finish so I can start getting my bonuses. I should be at least seeing somewhere around 15000ppd with the X6 and a GTS250 running.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort