Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Re: Positive Playstation 3 Talk and Q/A

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Okay, so, after a bunch of hours on PSX games put in on the PS3, and the PS2; I have to say that the PS2 is about 5 times better at playing PSX games than the PS3. Not only does the PS3 not have hardware filtered textures, but it also does not decrease loading times like the PS2 does. This is dissappointing, but I guess since I don't have a first gen PS3, I'll have to keep my PS2 around anyway. Here's hoping they update the emulator on the PS3.
Vae victus.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Vrock wrote:
God of War 3 is impressive.

The reason I'm messing with God of War I and II is because I have a co-worker who simply cannot stop gushing about GoW3. I don't think I should just jump right to 3 w/o at least messing with 1 and 2
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 pm

idchafee wrote:
Vrock wrote:
God of War 3 is impressive.

The reason I'm messing with God of War I and II is because I have a co-worker who simply cannot stop gushing about GoW3. I don't think I should just jump right to 3 w/o at least messing with 1 and 2
Oh yeah, it's definitely worth playing those two first. Heck, you don't even understand wtf the deal is with Kratos until halfway through GoW I anyway. If you have a PSP get GoW: Chains of Olympus, too.

God of War 3 though is just an amazing technical achievement, especially considering it's happening on 7800GT level graphics. People who complain about 'crippled' console graphics haven't played this on a 55" TV. The set pieces are phenomenal...when you realize you are fighting on the back of a Titan that is scaling a mountain...just very impressive.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Afterburner Climax is a hoot! When I think about how many quarters I pumped into that old arcade game (one of the first at $1.00 a pop)...sigh.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Vrock wrote:
Afterburner Climax is a hoot! When I think about how many quarters I pumped into that old arcade game (one of the first at $1.00 a pop)...sigh.
I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing this version of After Burner in the arcade. Good times.

Sadly, the demo for Afterburner Climax didn't grab my attention like I hoped it would. For me, it's just a generic on-rails shooter that brings nothing new to the table.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah, it's definitely a mindless arcade shooter, but I'm nostalgic enough about it not to care...it's essentially a prettier AfterBurner II I can play on my PS3 for $10. I had the Afterburner II cartridge for the Sega Genesis and it cost like $50 back then...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:30 pm

And that was a cheap cartridge. Super Street Fighter II was the first game I paid $80 for at retail and didn't even get a collector's edition NUTHIN'. Then i did it again with Phantasy Star IV - that one was well worth it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:55 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Super Street Fighter II was the first game I paid $80 for at retail...
WTF, you payed that much for a SNES/Genesis cartridge? Or were you one of those few that bought SSF2T for the 3DO?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Okay, I was totally caught off guard in BioShock with that twist when facing against Andrew Ryan.

I'm a bit behind the times, I know.

I still have to beat the game, so don't give anything away.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 am

titan wrote:
Okay, I was totally caught off guard in BioShock with that twist when facing against Andrew Ryan.

I'm a bit behind the times, I know.

I still have to beat the game, so don't give anything away.

You're really playing as Raptor Jesus combatting against the evil armies of Hades. Enjoy your new twistless experience.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 am

Dizik wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Super Street Fighter II was the first game I paid $80 for at retail...
WTF, you payed that much for a SNES/Genesis cartridge? Or were you one of those few that bought SSF2T for the 3DO?

No, that was just the going rate at Babbage's and Best Buy (both of which required a 45-minute drive to Peoria) back in 1994-1995. My local Wal Mart didn't carry video games, and K-Mart had no incentive to go lower in price (and their selection sucked anyway). I also paid $65 for the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat II.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 pm

The Dreamcast is coming! The Dreamcast is coming!

http://kotaku.com/5560151/the-dreamcast ... al-content
http://kotaku.com/5560245/sega-these-ar ... es-we-want

I can't wait, the best version of Crazy Taxi is the Dreamcast version. Hopefully we'll get PowerStone and Capcom vs. SNK (Capcom vs. SNK2 was an import-only title but it's pretty playable on the Dreamcast because the menus are English).

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Give me PowerStone, or give me death.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Well that'll be up to Capcom and they've been reticent to port it otherwise. I hope they do, though.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 am

Can anyone reccommend me a volleyball game that isn't a T&A show? What is so hard about having a game that is just friggin VOLLEYBALL?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm

idchafee wrote:
Can anyone recommend me a volleyball game that isn't a T&A show? What is so hard about having a game that is just friggin VOLLEYBALL?

I'll take that as a no.

New question: I bought a 2nd wireless controller from GameStop, only to get home and realize that it has no cord to charge it. I see a few dual chargers online, how do they work? Also, it only seems to work when its plugged in - is there something I have to do when its plugged in to get it to work wirelessly?

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:01 pm

It's a Bluetooth variant, you probably need to pair the PS3 and controller somehow but I don't remember the procedure.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:45 pm

It's a very complicated procedure.

Attach the cable at both ends -- one to the controller and one to the PS3. Press the PS button on the controller that is attached. The controller is now ready to work wirelessly.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 am

titan wrote:
It's a very complicated procedure.

Attach the cable at both ends -- one to the controller and one to the PS3. Press the PS button on the controller that is attached. The controller is now ready to work wirelessly.

That worked....on controller #2. #1 was apparently DOA, I took it back.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am

Good news for some folks - Resistance 3, Killzone 3, and Ratchet and Clank 4 were announced yesterday. Along wth Little Big Planet 2, which I was never a fan of the original.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu May 05, 2011 11:49 pm

My CECHA01 (Launch 60GB, has a December 2006 stamp on it) has died after four years of heavy use.

Sony is sending a coffin out for it's repair.

- Not intended to be a negative comment. I'm frankly amazed it lasted this long.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri May 06, 2011 2:00 am

My 20gb launch unit is still going strong!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm

That's too bad about the 60GB. It was the most functional unit that Sony sold - it has wifi and a card reader absent on the 20GB, and full hardware PS2 backwards compatibility absent on all the other units. Hope you weren't playing PS2 games, though - I'm sure "repair" will wind up being "replacement".

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Very likely.

I asked the CS Rep when paying for the repair if there was an option to only repair and get my exact serial number back. He said I could request that on the included work order sheet in the coffin (I also have to detail that I need to yank a stuck disc out of it), but made clear - repeatedly and often - that odds were against that.

I did get to request what kind of model I will get back as a replacement. I should get another CECHAXX back. He did try and sell me on an "upgrade" to a slim 120GB.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:33 am

OK now that everything is mostly fixed, we can all go back to playing games. Games like inFamous 2. Eurogamer's review is particularly glowing (and they're notoriously tough to please), which just makes me totally excited for this game. I've been replaying the original, trying to get the last two trophies to unlock the platinum (beat it on Hard and do all the stunts; I've found everything else already in a previous playthrough, thanks to a map) which if I'm successful will be my first ever.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 am

I might pick up the first one as a freebie and give it another go. I really enjoyed the demo of the first, but I just didn't get into the game when I bought it.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Ended up canceling the repair. Decided to fix it myself. Toolkit and heatgun for solder reflow from ifixit and refurb power supply as well. I had debated only leveraging the new power supply if needed, but research implies that the shipping PS3 PSU is not an efficient AC to DC unit and the system pays for it with the resulting excess heat.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 pm

So you mean the new power supply is more efficient than the older ones? What I mean is, I had assumed (mistakenly, apparently) that they'd want the efficiency to be as high as possible in order to prevent that sort of thing, but they apparently cut corners.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Yes, in a strange twist the original super expensive PS3 units sourced less efficient PSU models. I assume that choice saved them money. As the PS3 got cheaper they started sourcing more efficient supplies, which I presume cost more.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Fixed.

It wasn't the power supply. Despite the fact my PS3 is a 2006 run; I already had the APS-226 PSU (second model PSU Sony employed). So the PSU I purchased is now a spare.

The problem was the solder and the heat gun was able to successfully reflow it. Little surprised that the system had heated enough to cause this issue. Despite the age and use, my periodic cleanings with compressed air had kept the system clean. I didn't find the unit clogged, soiled, or even deeply coated with silt. What had worn out was the cheap zinc oxide thermal paste. The classic white goop thermal paste had fully dried out. I replaced it with some IC diamond thermal paste. I am a little concerned I might not have done the best application job, but eh.

Tear down and reassembly was not as terrible an affair as I feared. The YLOD kit from iFixit helped make the job considerably easier.

One thing I'm assured of is that any of you with a PS3 that's using this zinc oxide, it is going to dry out long term the same as mine. Perhaps your ambient environment will better manage the situation, but the occasional talk you see on the Incredible Edible Internet about pre-emptively replacing the thermal compound is probably a wise choice.