Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sprint's EVO 4G

Tue May 25, 2010 10:00 am

Anyone considering HTC's latest 4.3" behemoth ? I'm currently on WinMo with the HTC TP2 but thinking of going the Android route June 4th. Verizon and AT&T isn't much of an option in my area with Sprint and a small local provider offering the only 3G/EvDO to be had for miles and miles.

Kevin
Administrator

Re: Sprint's EVO 4G

Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Walked out of Best Buy with a pre-order a few days ago. I've had an Instinct for two years now and it's past time I got an upgrade. I never wanted a physical keyboard and the Hero hardware seemed pretty underwhelming to me, so I had been waiting for something better. The EVO looks pretty slick. Hopefully HTC and Sprint will update it to 2.2 sometime this summer. They took forever to get 2.1 for the Hero.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 25, 2010 12:42 pm

They are charging an EXTRA $10 a month for data on top of the normal $30 because 'with the large screen, users will be using more data'.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 pm

The wife and I will be jumping ship from AT&T to Sprint, and the EVO is one of the big reasons why. I've had my iPhone 3G since February of last year, and it's still a great phone. However, I can't help but jump onto the Android bandwagon especially when there's the behemoth that is the EVO 4G being released next month. The phone just oozes awesome (IT HAS A KICKSTAND!). The only thing that sucks is that Sprint doesn't have a 4G network in Oklahoma yet, and won't until at least late 2011. It's not that the phone will be useless, since their 3G network is more than capable, but being required to pay a $10/month 4G surcharge sucks donkey balls.

But seeing as how Sprint charges around the same amount of money that I'm paying now on AT&T, but gives me more bang for my buck, I can't really complain. If/when we switch to Sprint, the wife and I will both have unlimited messaging and data, whereas my iPhone is the only phone with a data plan, and the wife and I are on the 500 messages/month plan.
Last edited by Dizik on Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Corrado wrote:
They are charging an EXTRA $10 a month for data on top of the normal $30 because 'with the large screen, users will be using more data'.

Yeah, that sucks. I would prefer that it be based on 4G availability or something. However, even with the $10 extra, it is still a cheaper plan than both AT&T and Verizon for comparable services.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Aye, the $10 surcharge is kinda crappy. There is barely 3G in my hometown and I'll be lucky to see 4G except when visiting family out of state on occasion. I never go anywhere near the 5GB "unlimited" cap so I'm a light user on the 3G. I can see my network usage increase some because of the 4.3" screen but nothing that's gonna tax them. Still a good value compared to AT&T with the other extras that are included in Sprints plans.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Got the call from Best Buy today saying they will have my EVO at the store on Friday. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be in the first batch.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 am

Thats great news Kevin ! I just managed to get an appointment at Radio Shack in the AM. I live in a "geographical oddity - 2 weeks from everywhere" kinda like on O Brother Where Art Thou :) Radio Shack was my only option other than telesales. Nearest Best Buy is a 100 miles away. My first Android device. I had the Samsung Eternity and Impression and currently the TP2. I liked the interface on the Samsungs although the hardware kb on the Impression kept failing. After the 4th device I left AT&T for the TP2. I'm wondering if I will miss the TP2 hardware kb badly as it's bulletproof.

See ya back here tomorrow if we make it to see if we are in gadget heaven !

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:50 pm

I picked up my EVO today before work but haven't been able to spend much time with it. So far it's been really great. The size really stands out, what with the screen taking up nearly all of the front. Best Buy threw in a free bluetooth headset, which was unexpected. Compared to my Instinct, the EVO is just on a whole different level.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 pm

I have a preorder at Best Buy for the June 9 shipment and will probably pick them up, as well as switch from AT&T to Sprint, next Friday (payday). I'm excited, and I'm surprised that my wife is hopping on the bandwagon as well.

Kevin, a couple of quick questions. The screen is glass, isn't it? I'm curious if I'll need to pick up some screen protectors or if they're unnecessary. I've been spoiled by my iPhone 3G, and I'm hoping that I'll have a similar experience with the EVO. Also, how does the screen handle fingerprints? My 3G is pretty bad as I have to clean it constantly, and I've been jealous of 3GS users with it's oil-resistant screen coating.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Kevin wrote:
Corrado wrote:

Yeah, that sucks. I would prefer that it be based on 4G availability or something. However, even with the $10 extra, it is still a cheaper plan than both AT&T and Verizon for comparable services.

I thought the extra $10 was for 4G and it is optional? Personally, I would not even bother with WiMax, ive read that the 2500mhz spectrum has a tough time penetrating walls. I read in a review that the reviewer walked into a curbside starbucks downtown and lost 4G completely.
Last edited by Jive on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Wish I could get an unlocked one to use up here in Canadaland =(

Kevin
Administrator

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Dizik wrote:
Kevin, a couple of quick questions. The screen is glass, isn't it? I'm curious if I'll need to pick up some screen protectors or if they're unnecessary. I've been spoiled by my iPhone 3G, and I'm hoping that I'll have a similar experience with the EVO. Also, how does the screen handle fingerprints? My 3G is pretty bad as I have to clean it constantly, and I've been jealous of 3GS users with it's oil-resistant screen coating.

It is glass and it does need to be cleaned fairly often. I ordered the Boxwave ClearTouch screen protector for it as I really liked it on my Instinct. If you didn't need one for your 3G, you probably wouldn't need it for the EVO.

I also picked up a case at Best Buy since I don't like how the EVO rests on it's camera lens.

Jive wrote:
I thought the extra $10 was for 4G and it is optional? I would not even bother with WiMax, ive read that the 2500mhz spectrum has a tough time penetrating walls. I read in a review that the reviewer walked into a curbside starbucks downtown and lost 4G completely.

No, the $10 is not optional, even if you don't have 4G service.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Kevin wrote:
It is glass and it does need to be cleaned fairly often. I ordered the Boxwave ClearTouch screen protector for it as I really liked it on my Instinct. If you didn't need one for your 3G, you probably wouldn't need it for the EVO.
Well, I was constantly cleaning my 3G due to the smudges, but scratches were never an issue since it has a glass screen.

Kevin wrote:
I also picked up a case at Best Buy since I don't like how the EVO rests on it's camera lens.
Which case did you get? This one caught my eye today, and I might order it once I get my EVO. I like that it comes with both a holster (which I would use while at work) and the case (which reminds me of my Incase Slider for 3G). The case appears to ensure that the phone never rests directly on the lens or the screen, and actually sits in the holster backwards protecting the screen.
Last edited by Dizik on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
Administrator

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:52 am

I got the one without the holster. It looks quite a bit different from that one so it might be based on a different brand. It snaps together from the front and the back of the phone, rather then in the middle.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:29 pm

I bought the Seidio case and holster combo and liking it a lot. The case fit a little loose but I put a piece of Scotch tape on the inside lip and it firmed the fit and feel up. Tape isn't visible of course once the 2 halves are slid into place. I had ordered Zagg screen protectors and removed it today. I just can't get used to the tacky feel after using the screen for a day bare. Like Kevin I'm going with the Boxwave ones and have a 3 pack on the way.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Howz the battery life ?

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 am

ModernPrimitive wrote:
I had ordered Zagg screen protectors and removed it today. I just can't get used to the tacky feel after using the screen for a day bare. Like Kevin I'm going with the Boxwave ones and have a 3 pack on the way.

Yeah, you'll find the Boxwave ones are not tacky at all. I put on a Zagg IS for my mom's Pre and I didn't like how it felt. You can't even tell that the Boxwave is on there, both visually and by touch.

Jigar wrote:
Howz the battery life ?

Phone definitely needs to be charged everyday. If you were to use the phone all the time, I could see needing to plug it in a second time. I've been on the road the past few days and had no problems having it last all day, although during working hours I didn't use my phone much at all. But it was idle with both GPS and 3G active. As with any Android phone, you need to stay on top of the task management to kill tasks that you aren't using. Advanced Task Killer has been pretty handy. It has a nice widget to kill tasks but the ones you want to leave running.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 am

Yeah, battery unlife. haha. To be honest Jigar I don't think it's any worse than our Touch Pro2's. I charged mine to full twice yesterday but spent a very long time surfing the market, installing apps and using the net. It doesn't help that here at work my phone fights between a Sprint tower and a small local carrier's tower. I bounce from 0-1-2 bars to roam. If I just txt, a couple of short phone calls and don't use the net i can last thru the workday. I've also not turned off the location services or anything so Google is no doubt tracking my every move :P

Was hoping my Boxwaves made it this week but it's looking doubtful.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:38 am

Currently using HTC VIVA, i was waiting for a worthy product to upgrade, looks like HTC EVO might be the one. Now to wait for it to get launched here in India. :)

Thanks for the information guys.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:10 am

EVO superior. iPhone inferior.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Kevin wrote:
As with any Android phone, you need to stay on top of the task management to kill tasks that you aren't using. Advanced Task Killer has been pretty handy. It has a nice widget to kill tasks but the ones you want to leave running.

And people were giving Apple grief for not having "real" multitasking? I think this is the main reason right there.

I remember having to do the same thing with my Windows Mobile phone. Thankfully I no longer use that horrible piece of crap.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Kevin wrote:
As with any Android phone, you need to stay on top of the task management to kill tasks that you aren't using. Advanced Task Killer has been pretty handy. It has a nice widget to kill tasks but the ones you want to leave running.

Astro File Manager does this as well (Android 2.1) and also allows me to back up D/L apps to the SD card (native in 2.2 FroYo), and it's free.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

So far, I have no complaints about the EVO. Since my wife got one as well, I'm able to charge my phone while at work and still charge it at home if needed. I'm sure I'll pick up a car charger eventually for those "just in case" moments, but I really have no problems with the battery at this time. I have been using Advanced Task Killer, as well as disabling 4G, GPS, and location services to help further the battery's life. I've also done this, but I can't tell if it's making a difference or not.

I'm a happy gerbil.

=Ninja edit=
I do have one complaint, but it is a minor one. I am only able to connect to my home Wi-Fi network if I have the SSID being broadcasted. I had the same problem with my iPhone, and it's more of an annoyance than anything.

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Dizik wrote:
I've also done this, but I can't tell if it's making a difference or not.

Wow, I did that late yesterday and today my EVO is holding a charge a lot longer than it has been when just sitting in my pocket. It's at 90% charge and it's been unplugged for over 5 hours.

Sucks to have to reset that setting after every reboot. Maybe someone can make an app/widget to set it it without having to go through all those steps.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Kevin do let us know the total number of hours battery last after trying that. I am very near to purchase EVO.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:35 pm

I don't know if the Evo has been rooted yet but some of the custom ROMs have significantly longer battery life for the Nexus One.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 pm

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks for the info Dizik. I came close to actually purchasing the full task killer :o I've not tried any of the battery saving tips yet. Was pretty happy to get my extra charger and cables yesterday tho hehe.

I managed to intercept my Boxwave protectors at the PO yesterday. Lovin' em. My opinion is the 99% clarity is a correct - 90% feel/smoothness and 80-90% screen response. Keep in mind i tend to barely touch my screen for input so I would probably notice response more than some people, especially the ones you hand your phone to and the promptly try to stick their finger THROUGH the device :-? :D

The Zagg had maybe 90% clarity to me and felt like I was dragging my finger across peanut butter. No doubt the Zagg is far better for protection but i dont plan on taping my phone to a copter rotor either...

Just my opinions and no scientific proof to back it up.

Battery life this morning - At 80% after 2.5 hrs unplugged. 20 longer than average txts discussing the 24hr at Le Mans. 10 mins or so of net surfing. I keep screen brightness to about 80% manually with wifi and bluetooth off. No 4G within a world from me if i might exaggerate a bit.

Apple - If AT&T had some 3G love in my area I would have bought one 2 years ago. Like their products but not somuch some of their followers. Blind as some NASCAR fans :wink: The new iPhone 4 looks sweet tho. A 4" screen woulda been nice on it. I think it depends on the person as to where a the EVO is an iPhone killer. Buy what you like or can afford.

Windows Mobile - was told i would hate it, even by a Sprint rep before the TP2 came out. It had its quirks but i could see the strength it has for business users. Yes, the phone would occasionally slow down for what appeared to be no reason but was by no means the Windows ME I expected it to be. I had a lot of fun flashing custom ROMS etc. Can't wait to see what 7 brings to handsets.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Dizik wrote:

Good call Dizik, I read this about a month ago and since then haven't reinstalled AAK after a factory reset. Its still good to have it around to force close locked up apps, but otherwise it doesn't save you any power/memory to force close most apps anyhow that aren't actively running, was hard for me to get used to that after using AAK from the start.

My major concern with the EVO 4G was its battery life, and it sounds like its on par with all of the other android phones I've seen..... I wish they could make it so that you could get through at least one day without plugging it in with 3-4 hours of active use. My Backflip will do just about that, but then again its a Backflip and about as weak on specs as it gets for an Android phone.

Kevin, hows the 720p recording with the camera.... this is probably the other big feature that to me was enticing enough to look forward to (along with the large screen). With that, how does voice sound when recording video and is the speaker for playback loud and clear enough with at least the smallest hint of "bass", not like its coming out of a tin can.

(BTW)... I thought it was funny that Apple made it sound like they were the first people to put 720 on a phone.... and Face talk??? Come on, i've gotta have SOME privacy, and its only on WIFI, what a waste. Good choice on the EVO Buy, only thing it sounds like it needs is battery life.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x