Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Summer movie season

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 pm

What are you excited about?

I am really looking forward to The Last Airbender (AKA Avatar: The Last Airbender... they had to rename it and delay it.

I watched a bit of the cartoon and the story and characters are quite well developed. If the writing/acting is halfway decent it could be a good flick.

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite

Re: Summer movie season

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:02 pm

The trailer for that looked really, really good.

The main thing I was looking forward to was Iron Man 2 and that was great. I don't know what else there is coming out this summer though.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Nutmeg wrote:
The trailer for that looked really, really good.

The main thing I was looking forward to was Iron Man 2 and that was great. I don't know what else there is coming out this summer though.

I just saw it and you are right, it is awesome! I hope it comes out on DVD soon or is in open caption.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:13 am

Nutmeg wrote:
The main thing I was looking forward to was Iron Man 2 and that was great.

I haven't seen that yet, hopefully this weekend the wife and I can ditch the little one on someone and go and see it. Its still on at some Cinemas. Last movie I saw at the movies was Star Trek, a little over a year ago I think.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:37 am

Jonah Hex looks alright. I am not familiar with the backstory at all, but it looks like it will be another mindless antihero flick, kind of like Hellboy. It looks like it has some potential, but I am not keeping my hopes too high
Does not compute

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:14 am

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

Yeah the Cera kid gets on my nerves but eh.....
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:12 pm

The Karate kid looks fun. It's too bad it has nothing to do with Karate or Japanese culture at all.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:41 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
The Karate kid looks fun. It's too bad it has nothing to do with Karate or Japanese culture at all.

My personal favourite moment from the trailers is Jackie Chan telling the kid "I will teach you Kung Fu". I thought the movie was called Karate Kid :P

I've got to go see Iron Man 2 myself. Still haven't gotten around to doing it. The other one I want to see is Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. And looking at upcoming movies, I can't believe they've done a 4th Resident Evil...
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

emorgoch wrote:
And looking at upcoming movies, I can't believe they've done a 4th Resident Evil...

They have? I saw the first three a year or two ago and they were hilarious; I'd love to see a fourth.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Saw The A-Team last night, wasnt expecting much from it but was pleasantly surprised.

Avatar the last air bender should be cool, I liked the animated series a lot.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:41 pm

IM 2 is pretty good. The drop-off from the 1st one is definitely less than the dropoff going from Transformers to Transformers 2.

blitzy wrote:
Saw The A-Team last night, wasnt expecting much from it but was pleasantly surprised.
Not going to butt heads with the Father's Day crowd. May do it next week.

blitzy wrote:
Avatar the last air bender should be cool, I liked the animated series a lot.

But with M. Night Shamalan's name to it my expectation was dampened a little bit. :o It's almost like he's stepped out of his usual genre; or worse, if he managed to sneak in his usual formulaic "creepy" stuff I would cry bloody murder. :x

Karate == Kung Fu is just wrong. Looks like it may be an abomination to the late great original Mr. Miyagi.

I don't even know the backstory of Jonah Hex. I am hoping Megan Fox will improve on her acting, at least a little bit. :o

What's coming in July/August?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:47 am

It feels like all the summer movies are out really early this year.. Are they not ususally sort of July/August time? Well here they are anyway. They had IM2 and Robin Hood, Prince of Persia in Mary and now it's just sort of flittering out.. :/
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

kvndoom

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:52 am

Iron Man 2 was okay, but didn't reach my expectations. Just like the first one, it had a very disappointing end battle.

Robin Hood, not bad and it was pretty funny at times, but it wasn't anything I'd rush and see again.

Prince of Persia was a serious waste of money and time. I could write a short story on how derived and cliched every single second of that abomination was. Wow, you can cross the desert and never break a sweat? WTF? Another hot female sidekick who never stops b------g the entire movie? Didn't we get enough of that in 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies (coincidentally Bruckheimer flicks too)? Frankly I was glad to see it bomb at the box office and I hope they don't break even. Uwe Boll couldn't have done much worse.

"Splice" had a good premise, but was too predictable. And not at all scary, which kind of kills it for a "horror" movie.

I hope "Airbender" is good, but M. Night Shenaniganshananahimalaya has put out some seriously bad stuff the last several years.

This summer has sucked for movies so far. Badly. I haven't seen anything yet that I would buy on DVD. Well, except for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," but that's not Hollywood. Yet, anyway.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 am

kvndoom wrote:
I hope "Airbender" is good, but M. Night Shenaniganshananahimalaya has put out some seriously bad stuff the last several years.

He's hit or miss. I hope he hits.

Also: it's all I can do not to call it Avatar.

annabel

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 am

My summer has been saved by chickflicks. hurrah
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

Voldenuit

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 am

emorgoch wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

My personal favourite moment from the trailers is Jackie Chan telling the kid "I will teach you Kung Fu". I thought the movie was called Karate Kid :P

The movie was called 'Karate Kid' because it's a remake of the original Karate Kid movie from the 80s, and is marketed as such in the West. In Japan, China and South Korea, it is called 'The Kung-fu Kid'. Over here in South East Asia, the movie posters have 'The Karate Kid' in English and Chinese symbols saying 'Kung-fu Kid' underneath.

Silly naming conventions aside, the movie greatly exceeded my expectations. Chan and Jaden Smith make a great screen duo, and boy, that kid can act. It's also a lot more ethically and emotionally grounded than the first movie (all credit to the late, great Pat Morita for 'making' the first movie). Cinematography and fight choreography were top notch, and while it was a bit long (2.5 hrs, give or take), it was worth every penny.

Like others here, I am looking forward to 'Aangbender' with equal parts hope and trepidation. I don't think Shenanigans can pull off another Sixth Sense, but I'd be content with even something like, say Lady In The Water (which, while unbearably trite and nonsensical, was still watchable). Just as long as it's not another Unbreakable, Signs or The Village.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 am

Voldenuit wrote:
Like others here, I am looking forward to 'Aangbender' with equal parts hope and trepidation. I don't think Shenanigans can pull off another Sixth Sense, but I'd be content with even something like, say Lady In The Water (which, while unbearably trite and nonsensical, was still watchable). Just as long as it's not another Unbreakable, Signs or The Village.

Hmm...I thought Lady in the Water was boring. Signs was appalling because of silly things like the aliens being hurt by water. I really liked Unbreakable. That seems to be a love it or hate it movie. (most people seem to hate it :lol: )

I have high hopes for Airbender but I find it unlikely to fulfill them. Can't wait to see the critics' consensus on it.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I really liked Unbreakable.

Same. Not sure it was as good as Sixth Sense, and I haven't seen his other movies after the reviews they got, but I didn't know anybody hated Unbreakable.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

annabel

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm

SNM wrote:
but I didn't know anybody hated Unbreakable.

/me raises hand

Hate that film

Voldenuit

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 pm

annabel wrote:
SNM wrote:
but I didn't know anybody hated Unbreakable.

/me raises hand

Hate that film

Second vote.

I thought the premise was silly and ridiculous, and the movie itself was too drawn out by half and a one. For a good super hero meta-commentary with real heart, Defendor was the real eye-opener for me.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Voldenuit

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:

Hmm...I thought Lady in the Water was boring. Signs was appalling because of silly things like the aliens being hurt by water. I really liked Unbreakable. That seems to be a love it or hate it movie. (most people seem to hate it :lol: )

I have high hopes for Airbender but I find it unlikely to fulfill them. Can't wait to see the critics' consensus on it.

Wow, did some digging, and take at look at these Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Sixth Sense (1999) : 86%
Unbreakable (2000): 66%
Signs (2002): 74%
The Village (2004): 43%
Lady in the Water (2006): 25%
The Happening (2008): 18%

Charting the trend in Excel (projected score for Airbender in red):

So it looks like Aangbender would be a 13%? :o

Funnily enough, the projected score for 2012 matches up pretty well with my personal rating for 2012. Maybe this was the disaster the Mayans predicted? :lol:
Last edited by Voldenuit on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:28 pm

What is the trendline equation? It looks asymptotic. Perhaps Shamalayan will never actually reach zero...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Voldenuit

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:38 pm

ludi wrote:
What is the trendline equation? It looks asymptotic. Perhaps Shamalayan will never actually reach zero...

I used an exponential curvefit. We can always expect at least one paid-off critic (or in Sony's case, a completely artificial one) shilling a good review for even the worst movies, so it may never reach zero.

Funnily enough, when looking at the Lady in the Water wiki page, I came across this:

Pete Vonder Haar of Film Threat commented: "If Shyamalan is going to use his kids as a focus group for future projects, maybe he should start making movies for Nickelodeon already and stop wasting our time"

Guess what? Avatar is a Nickelodeon franchise! :lol:
Wind, Sand and Stars.

kvndoom

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 am

annabel wrote:
My summer has been saved by chickflicks. hurrah

"Date Night" was better than I thought it would be. I got a few good cheap laughs out of it. Girlfriend and her daughters wanted to see it, so I reluctantly tagged along. It was a pleasant surprise. Nothing original, but still pretty fun. And it has made decent money at the box office too.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Voldenuit wrote:

Yes, but that's not that Avatar.

trackerben

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:38 am

Meadows wrote:

If you were referring to Cameron's Avatar, it was one of the more interesting movies of 2009. Not just as great moviemaking but also for the serious fun to be had in analyzing it as counter-religious allegory. I finally put my ancient history lessons to some use, heh.

Pizzapotamus
Gerbil

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:43 am

Meadows wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:

I'm not sure if I've missed a joke or your confused but it's this Avatar http://www.nick.com/shows/avatar/ hence Nickelodeon.

balzi
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Robin Hood, ...
Prince of Persia ...

I liked both of them.
Did you like National Treasure? What kind of movies do you normally like?
They definitely weren't incredible feats of story-telling, but I enjoyed both.. and in PoP's case, I saw it again coz I liked it so much.
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

annabel

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:01 pm

kvndoom wrote:
"Date Night" was better than I thought it would be. I got a few good cheap laughs out of it. Girlfriend and her daughters wanted to see it, so I reluctantly tagged along. It was a pleasant surprise. Nothing original, but still pretty fun. And it has made decent money at the box office too.

Chickflicks aren't meant to be original and I'd be gutted if I went to see one and it didn't fit in a nice wee film plan.

kvndoom

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:31 pm

annabel wrote:
kvndoom wrote:

Chickflicks aren't meant to be original and I'd be gutted if I went to see one and it didn't fit in a nice wee film plan.

Ever seen Amelie? They don't have to all be brainless and cliched.

I think the real issue here is that maybe it's just a sucky year for Hollywood films. Some of the best films I have seen in recent years (maybe ever) have been indie or foreign.

But hey, they can crank out new Twilight films every 3 or 4 weeks it seems like, and those are good for over 200 million a pop in ticket sales. So why bother taking a chance on quality when garbage brings in guaranteed money?