Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Picks for NBA Finals

Fri May 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
At the end it seemed like the Cavs didn't even care. It's one thing to give your best and lose, but that didn't seem to be the case. They looked ready for summer vacation.

Didn't care? I thought they looked shell shocked.

People constantly try to compare James and Jordan. The problem is that people ignore the fact that Jordan didn't even accomplish near what James has until two people entered Jordan's playing career: Phil Jackon and Scottie Pippen. Kobe? He had Shaq and Pau Gasol. Bird? McHale, Parish, Walton. Magic? Kareem, Worthy. Duncan? Robinson, Parker, Ginobili.

LeBron stunk it up Game 5. No doubt it was a poor game. But even when your super star has a bad game your team needs to at least look competent out there. If I were LeBron I would say I'm leaving unless you fire Mike Brown and Danny Ferry. People constantly go on about how the Cavs have done everything to keep James. Yeah they spent tons of money but they spent it on crappy players and had horrible timing. They didn't pick up any one last year at the trade deadline... that's when they needed Shaq! Instead they do it this last off season... what a waste.

People who are riding James right now are ignoring that every dynasty since the 80s has had at the least two top 50 all time players on it at some point, or at least were loaded with real All-Stars (Lakers and before-they-got-too-old Spurs). Given the current competition level in the league (it's actually quite high at the top) and there was no way James was going to win a title unless he was significantly better than even Jordan. The media is just rushing to the easy storyline instead of watching the games with a critical eye. You know what? You do have tons of turn overs when your teammates are literally not in the positions they should be. You do lose when you're playing a center who can't even bend at the knees big time minutes. You do lose when your coaches won't play small ball even though its the consensus best option for them...

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Skrying wrote:
The media is just rushing to the easy storyline instead of watching the games with a critical eye. You know what? You do have tons of turn overs when your teammates are literally not in the positions they should be.
They often do go for the easy story. And in no way do I blame LeBron only, the whole team looked like they didn't care at the end.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 26, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm glad to see Orlando come back. After getting blown away in game 3 it looks like they are making it a series. Tonight's game was crazy. Davis received a concussion and the ref finally stopped him before he collapsed while hobbling down the court.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

BKA
Gerbil XP

Thu May 27, 2010 6:14 am

dolemitecomputers wrote:
I'm glad to see Orlando come back. After getting blown away in game 3 it looks like they are making it a series. Tonight's game was crazy. Davis received a concussion and the ref finally stopped him before he collapsed while hobbling down the court.

That was a crazy game. Can't wait to see what happens on Friday. The Suns have also surprised me as I would like them to win but really thought they would win maybe 1 game out of the series.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 27, 2010 5:19 pm

I hope the NBA rescinds one of Perkins technicals. I have no clue what he said but even if it was rather bad I just can't support the referees potentially swinging a series so greatly. Not only did it remove him from the game last night but unless one is rescinded he'll be suspended for the next game. Add in Big Baby's concussion and Boston has no front line besides KG. I want the better team to win, not which team had a string of bad luck to lose.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:48 pm

They should have rescinded them both. But its part of Sterns plan. I think they should start over with technicals in every series you advance too. They way the refs have been calling the phantom fouls for both sides only a fool could say it wasnt orchestrated! Id love to see Boston take it in 5 or 6...but you just know its gonna go 7.

Rondo was an amazing player in game 2. Between him and Ray they singlehandedly beat the Lakers...god i hate the Lakers. Anyone catch the comments by Jackson about the refs after the game? Talk about setting them up for the next game :roll:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm tired of the flops. It seems like the only thing a player needs to do is throw their head back and they can get a call. Gasol had a good one in the 4th quarter last night.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

2x4
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 am

dolemitecomputers wrote:
I'm tired of the flops. It seems like the only thing a player needs to do is throw their head back and they can get a call. Gasol had a good one in the 4th quarter last night.

that's what celdick do all the time. this is a bunch of thugs, actresses (paulina pierce should get an oscar for all her flops). im sick and tired watching the series when celdicks are playing 5 thugs + 3 refs every night.

lakers in 7
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawodowy_fotograf/

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

BKA
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 am

2x4 wrote:
dolemitecomputers wrote:

that's what celdick do all the time. this is a bunch of thugs, actresses (paulina pierce should get an oscar for all her flops). im sick and tired watching the series when celdicks are playing 5 thugs + 3 refs every night.

lakers in 7

So no Lakers do any flopping? Every team in the NBA is guilty of it because of rule changes.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Lakers suck...Kobe is so into himself he cant breathe without his useless coach :wink: Gasol had a pretty good flop in game 5 wouldnt you say? Boston in 6! I cant wait to see Kobe miss the press conference because he cant handle the pressure :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Can't handle the pressure? What game are you watching? What series? Kobe is far and away the best player on the court. This series is just more proof that the NBA has more talent than it did in the 90s. The Lakers have the best player but the Celtics have players 2, 3, 4 and arguably 5.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Kobe can handle the pressure. Gasol and Bynum and especially Odom, not so much
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Kobe CANT handle the pressure...thats quite obvious!! Sure he is good...but he decides to take the team on his shoulders and do it all himself....excuse me...i love it and the Lakers will never beat Boston if he continues to play that way. He throws up shots that would make a grown man cry...if i was his coach i would grab him by the nuts and squeeze em just a bit harder than he needs to get his attention. Gasol needs to get more involved...so does Fish...they will not win with Gasol getting 10 points and very few assists. Bynum obviously isnt healthy enough to finish...Artest is looking for game...tell me you dont like Boston's chances? Rondo has evolved and i truely hope the kid gets HIS championship this year...its been all about him in the playoffs...and if he outplays the lakers front court it will be a foregone conclusion. Ima thinkin Phil is gone this yr...and Kobe wants to be traded to a winner :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
and Kobe wants to be traded to a winner :lol:

How do you build a winner when Kobe won't allow anyone else to shine? His narcissism has been at pathological levels for years.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

balzi
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:37 pm

its definitely gonna be interesting to see where everyone lands after the trading... in, fact it's probably more interesting than the Finals series. not that the games have been bad, but I can't think of anything worse than the Lakers and Celtics AGAIN. boring!!! I was actually barracking for the Magic.. and the Suns - please, of please can one of them win to break up the monotony?!?! but here we are, its nearly over and we can all gasp when the respective destinations of some seriously huge players are revealed :(
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

balzi
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anything but a game 7 please (Lakers are up by 18 right now). just get it over and done with and move onto to the lottery and trading. Actually - does anyone know if lottery and trading follows whenever the finals conclude, or is there a fixed date?
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:02 pm

balzi wrote:
Actually - does anyone know if lottery and trading follows whenever the finals conclude, or is there a fixed date?

Lottery picks were set on 5/18/2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NBA_Draft
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:31 am

LicketySplit wrote:
Kobe CANT handle the pressure...thats quite obvious!! Sure he is good...but he decides to take the team on his shoulders and do it all himself....excuse me...i love it and the Lakers will never beat Boston if he continues to play that way. He throws up shots that would make a grown man cry...if i was his coach i would grab him by the nuts and squeeze em just a bit harder than he needs to get his attention. Gasol needs to get more involved...so does Fish...they will not win with Gasol getting 10 points and very few assists. Bynum obviously isnt healthy enough to finish...Artest is looking for game...tell me you dont like Boston's chances? Rondo has evolved and i truely hope the kid gets HIS championship this year...its been all about him in the playoffs...and if he outplays the lakers front court it will be a foregone conclusion. Ima thinkin Phil is gone this yr...and Kobe wants to be traded to a winner :lol:

It's not obvious, it's not even true. You're either not watching the games, have no clue how basketball works, or you're extremely biased towards Boston. I'm betting a combination of the last two. Again, Kobe has been and is far and away the best player on the court this series. He's consistently played the role that has been required. His team was doing absolutely nothing in Game 5, therefore an explosion of points (under extreme pressure, nearly all of which were of very high difficultly). When his team plays well he steps he takes less shots.

People constantly get Kobe. In the past I would say they had a valid argument. Now? Not so much. When he goes into shooting machine mode it is almost always required. Jordan did the same, Bird did the same. It took him far longer to realize it. But he's there. If the Lakers lose this series it will not be because Kobe didn't show up, his numbers now are superior to his regular season numbers. His game has improved. His teammates have all gone down. His teammates have buckled under pressure. Kobe has improved.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 am

Captain Ned wrote:
How do you build a winner when Kobe won't allow anyone else to shine? His narcissism has been at pathological levels for years.

I don't know what you've been watching, but you're talking about a guy who had more than 10 assists 3 games in a row in these playoffs. He's averaging 5.6 per game overall, the most on LA. Also not sure why you need to build a winner when they won the championship last year, and are 1 game away from winning it all again. Every single analyst is saying he will be the MVP of the series even if Boston wins. That has only happened once in NBA history, do you know who claimed that double edged honor?

In his younger days he might have been guilty of some of the things you claim, but so was Jordan. Kobe's evolved into the best most complete player in the NBA right now. His playoff averages of 29.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 5.6 assists and 1.4 steals while shooting 47% from the field and 40% from downtown will go down as one of the pest performances in history.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 am

I agree with what leor is saying, but the problem with Kobe is his arrogance & his antics when calls don't go his way.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:49 am

Skrying wrote:

It's not obvious, it's not even true. You're either not watching the games, have no clue how basketball works, or you're extremely biased towards Boston.

Guess who is biased here pal...it isnt me. Anyone who watches him play and whine and diss the refs will tell you the same thing. The guy has a HUGE chip on his shoulder that says..."I AM the BEST"...guess what..He ISNT!! :lol:

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:41 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Guess who is biased here pal...it isnt me. Anyone who watches him play and whine and diss the refs will tell you the same thing. The guy has a HUGE chip on his shoulder that says..."I AM the BEST"...guess what..He ISNT!! :lol:

Right now he is.

And to complain about his antics without mentioning Pierce's nonsense or Garnett's constant hollering shows a bias on your part. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a Garnett fan, but his **** gets kind of crazy sometimes.

I'm a Knicks fan, so I got no stake here, but I'm a huge fan of the game. All the best players have had their idiosyncrasies, but I appreciate seeing the game played at its highest level and right now that's Kobe.

i have a $20 dollar bet with idchafee that no matter who wins tomorrow Kobe will be the Finals MVP.

2x4
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 pm

looks like they forgot the wheelchair for perkins this time
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawodowy_fotograf/

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

balzi
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
balzi wrote:
Actually - does anyone know if lottery and trading follows whenever the finals conclude, or is there a fixed date?

sorry, I don't mean the lottery draw.. I should have said "draft" - that's what i meant? the draft for young college guys.
and then the stockyard-esque trading period.. Cow #1 Lebron, Cow #2 Wade, etc.

when do they happen? might check the wiki link, it probably covers that aswell.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 pm

balzi wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
balzi wrote:

sorry, I don't mean the lottery draw.. I should have said "draft" - that's what i meant? the draft for young college guys.
and then the stockyard-esque trading period.. Cow #1 Lebron, Cow #2 Wade, etc.

when do they happen? might check the wiki link, it probably covers that aswell.

Lebron, Wade, etc have expiring contracts and will be free to sign with any team that can offer them money. They may or may not be traded. There's a fixed date when contracts expire and players can start talking to other teams.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 pm

leor wrote:

i have a $20 dollar bet with idchafee that no matter who wins tomorrow Kobe will be the Finals MVP.

So??? If LA loses he wont get the MVP...then it goes to Rondo.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 pm

There is no rule that states the FInals MVP must go to a player on the winning team. Rondo has been the best player on Boston but his play this series has not been close to Kobe, in fact it's been his worst series in these playoffs. The story has been that if Boston wins tomorrow that Kobe could become the first non-winning Finals MVP since Jerry West. A cruel story in a number of ways if it were to play out like that. West of course drafted Kobe, Kobe idolized West, West played on Lakers in the 60s and early 70s, a team that was repeatedly beat by the Russell lead Boston Celtics in the Finals.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:26 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
leor wrote:

So??? If LA loses he wont get the MVP...then it goes to Rondo.

The majority of commentators disagree. I made the bet partly because I'm a hopeless gambler and partly because I just can't see a losing player get the MVP.

Even though he has been head and shoulder the best player on the floor
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:11 am

mattsteg wrote:
There's a fixed date when contracts expire and players can start talking to other teams.

July 1st is the magic number.

Should be interesting.
Especially since Lebron, D-Wade and a few others are going to have a sit down to see who's going where.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision