Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Car Stereo questions

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 am

My friend gave me his old Pioneer DEH-P6600 car stereo in a box with a bunch of speakers. He said it did work, but when I connect it to my car there is no power. I used a multimeter to check and make sure it was getting power and it was. I have a few questions. Oh the car is a 1995 Dodge Intrepid.

1) Do you think having the stereo in a box with speakers and there magnets that the stereo would be ruined because of the magnets?
2) How would I know for sure if I had a dead system?
3) If it is a dead system anyone got system recommendations for $150 or less. I would like USB connectivity or Aux, possibly HD radio. I don't have an Ipod so I don't need that feature.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Car Stereo questions

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:01 pm

First, did you use a factory wiring converter harness, or did you chop the OE wires, and are you sure you got the power and ground leads matched correctly?

Second, is the fuse in the head unit good (if it has one) and did you check to make sure the car's fuse to the head unit didn't accidentally get blown during the wiring conversion?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 am

So just a little update. I replaced the fuse in the car stereo twice (just to make sure there were no fuse problems) and then hooked up the stereo directly to a DC power supply at 12V. The stereo is still doesn't power up so I think its safe to say that it is officially dead.
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:32 pm

You did connect both the main power lead and the ignition lead to +12, right?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks for the help ludi. I did connect both the ignition and the power cable to the positive terminal and nothing. I bought a new stereo yesterday from amazon so I eagerly await installing that.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:43 pm

What unit did you order?