Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

What's your opinion?

Samsung Captivate
8 (32%)
Apple iPhone 4 (just not bridging the antennas)
4 (16%)
Wait for fixed iPhone 4/newer phones
No votes
Wait and give ATT the finger (for Sprint? Verizon?)
13 (52%)

Total votes: 25

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

To Captivate or to...? Captivated!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 am

I currently have a Samsung Epix on AT&T. It's been a functional phone, but it's upgrade time, and I want your collective opinion. The poll lists the options I've considered, but isn't meant to be all-inclusive.

I'm looking for a phone that both functions well as a phone and text messenger, but also works very well with internet access. The ability to not only look things up but, for instance, post in forums is of interest to me. Google maps is my most used app on the WinMo phone I have, and Opera the second; and I'd use data more if it weren't terrible with a small screen and borderline useless touchscreen.

Given that I'm coming from WinMo with all of my contacts on a SIM, I have no brand loyalty. I can get someone (ATT store, friend who sells phones for RadioShack, etc) to transfer over my contacts. I also currently have a no-limit data plan with ATT, which I can carry over for the Captivate (though I believe I have to go through ATT, not Amazon for sure), but cannot transfer to an iPhone. I have no idea how much data I would use, but unlimited contracts are valuable; I like the idea of rooting my phone and being able to use it tethered sometime in the future without having to worry about extra charges, but at this time I don't even own a laptop that would make use of such a feature.

I think that these phones are about equal, on almost every point, which is making my decision a little harder.

My assessment is that the iPhone has a superior screen, though smaller. It has a flash for its camera, which could be nice, though the Captivate camera is supposed to be very good. iOS is smoother, everyone reviewing the Captivate or any other Galaxy S has mentioned scrolling hitches, and I've seen it on a friends Incredible. The iPhone has the Apple App store. The iPhones antenna problem would be mitigated by the case I'd put on it anyway, and I'm right handed, so I consider it a non-issue.

Conversely, the Captivate is Android, which is NOT Apple, and has it's own app store. It can do pretty much everything that the iPhone can do, which is the point of this thread- deciding between two very nice devices that I believe would equally satisfy my need. Discuss!
Last edited by Airmantharp on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: To Captivate or to...? Poll

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:19 am

Look for someone giving away their old smart phone and go on a prepaid plan? I know a few people giving their 3gs or blackberry bold to friends / family. Then use the money saved on a new PC, overseas holiday, Booze and Hookers, etc.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Due to AT&T's past of crippling their Android phones, I'd be very leery with getting the Captivate. Even if AT&T doesn't repeat their past mistakes, I'd still avoid it due to the fact that the phone doesn't have the front facing camera or flash that are present on other Galaxy S based phones. If you want a great Android phone, then your best bet is to switch carriers.

Sprint has the HTC EVO 4G, which I have and love, and it's an amazing piece of hardware. Sprint will soon be releasing the Samsung Epic 4G, which is their Galaxy S variant. Some are lauding it as the best of the Galaxy S bunch, and for good reason. And, as you probably know already, Verizon has a slew of Android phones (Droid, Droid X, Legend, etc.). It's a great time to join the Android bandwagon.

However, if you decided that you would like to stay with AT&T, then by all means get an iPhone 4. The screen is amazing, the App Store is currently more robust than the Android Market, and it's damn sexy. Since the antenna problem won't be an issue for you, then iPhone 4 is a solid choice since you don't have many reason to not get it.

I recently switched from AT&T to Sprint. I did so not only to get the EVO, but because I'm getting more "bang for your buck" than I would have with AT&T. While with AT&T, my wife and I were on the family plan with 1400 shared minutes, unlimited data for my iPhone, no data for my wife, and 200 text messages for both lines at $5 a pop. My monthly bill was around $135. Since switching to Sprint, we share 1500 minutes, the wife and I both have unlimited data on our EVOs, and we both have unlimited messages. Our monthly bill is around $135. For us it would have been stupid for us not to switch, but that may not be the case for you.

That's just my two cents.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Neither. I'd switch providers to Verizon and pick up the Droid 2 when it releases. Even though I'm currently with AT&T I do not care for the way they've handled their network issues and I'm not a fan of Samsung's lackluster phone support (or Android on AT&T in general).

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Thank you guys for the input so far! Seems many of you guys advocate ditching ATT altogether, while an equal amount are split between the Captivate and iPhone 4. That pretty much sums up my feelings too.

I have done some looking around myself since posting. What do you all think of this review? The very last paragraph actually points me back in the direction of the iPhone.

If I can have either (considering I'd be buying the Captivate for full upgrade cost from ATT) at the same price, but the Captivate is NOT Apple and lets me keep my unlimited data, and the iPhone is better at the main things I want to do, this is a hard decision. Hopefully I'll make it to an ATT store that has the Captivate so I can play with it a little, and maybe compare to an iPhone 4 in person.

Another variable that I have considered (and considered considering to be fruitless) is the quality of next gen networks. My contract will get extended by two years; but I wonder, isn't ATT trying to improve their current 3G coverage? What about 4G? Do you think we'll be in the same boat we are now between networks and their 3G coverage as we will be with 4G, or do you think that maybe ATT will out do Verizon et al. on 4G?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Real 4G is still a ways off, so I wouldn't let it influence your decision for this phone. If you absolutely HAD to have higher cellular speeds now, you'd probably need to go Sprint. But really, when all these phones have wifi, is 4G truly that important?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:54 pm

I have a slightly different opinion (where's the cheese option? ;)).

If AT&T has good coverage in your area, you may want to stay put. I actually think some apps on Android OS do things better than the iPhone. Of all the US variants of the Galaxy S, I actually like the Captivate's look the best. Of course, the downside is no LED flash and no front camera (seriously, FaceTime over wifi does not make much sense to me, and video call on cell phones has not really taken off).

My suggestion: hold off and wait to see when people figure out how to root and reflash the AT&T stuff on the Captivate with stock Android. If it is indeed locked to the brim still, then think iPhone or jumping shipped.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:46 am

How about keeping your epix longer? the official 6.5 rom came out recently and you can just flash to that. My sister recently went from the epix to captivate and I've played around on her phone. All I have to say is WOW, that screen is amazing, I'm pretty much ruined to any other type of screen now. The screen is fairly big which makes it easier to type on and i find it acceptable (i have an epix too and prefer hardware keyboards). Battery life is good, but not as good as the epix, certainly way better than the palm pre she returned for the captivate. Some reviews have the hummingbird on eclair performing better than the snapdragon on froyo, so you could imagine what it would be like to have froyo on the hummingbird. The phone feels too thin sometimes, maybe i'm just used to bulkier phones. Since rooting your phone was recently ruled legal (or so i've read on engadget) it shouldn't be much of a problem to install a different rom on there? I'm a hardened WinMo user and I would consider getting a Captivate, but I'm waiting till WP7 is out before i make any decisions. Hell, if they give it a bigger battery (which would make it a little thicker, i dont mind) and add a flash, i'm sold, regardless of the OS.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:29 am

no51 wrote:
How about keeping your epix longer? the official 6.5 rom came out recently and you can just flash to that. My sister recently went from the epix to captivate and I've played around on her phone. All I have to say is WOW, that screen is amazing, I'm pretty much ruined to any other type of screen now. The screen is fairly big which makes it easier to type on and i find it acceptable (i have an epix too and prefer hardware keyboards). Battery life is good, but not as good as the epix, certainly way better than the palm pre she returned for the captivate. Some reviews have the hummingbird on eclair performing better than the snapdragon on froyo, so you could imagine what it would be like to have froyo on the hummingbird. The phone feels too thin sometimes, maybe i'm just used to bulkier phones. Since rooting your phone was recently ruled legal (or so i've read on engadget) it shouldn't be much of a problem to install a different rom on there? I'm a hardened WinMo user and I would consider getting a Captivate, but I'm waiting till WP7 is out before i make any decisions. Hell, if they give it a bigger battery (which would make it a little thicker, i dont mind) and add a flash, i'm sold, regardless of the OS.

It's a great suggestion, and I guess I should have fully detailed my reasons for not wanting the Epix any longer. First, it's slow, which could be mitigated by an upgrade to 6.5, if it could be upgraded. Unfortunately, the USB/recharging port is quite dead and useless. Everything going to the phone has to be downloaded over Wifi/WAP, through the memory card, or over (the incredibly flaky when a PC is involved) Bluetooth connection. Next, the touch screen sucks balls, and mine has a scratch on it, from moving an HDTV. Still don't know how that happened. Last, the Google Maps application is both slow and will eventually lock up the phone, and it's the internet enabled piece that I use the most. Love it.

So, I felt the need to go ahead and make a decision. Since staying on ATT has been necessitated by upgrading now, I went ahead and picked up the Captivate, since my friend had one in stock. And I'm mostly happy.

I'm currently exploring Android and the Market, and I like what I see- lots of free applications to do what I need. Even got the Blizzard Authenticator on there, so maybe I can take back that WoW account that I lost some time ago.

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: To Captivate or to...? Captivated!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:38 am

Galaxy S all the way!

I'm on Sprint, not AT&T, so I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Samsung Epic.

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 am

If the Captivate and the iPhone satisfy your needs equally, but the Captivate allows you to retain an unlimited data plan, I'd go with the Captivate.

EDIT: That's what I get for not reading the last few poss on a thread :oops:
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm

SlyFerret wrote:
Galaxy S all the way!

I'm on Sprint, not AT&T, so I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Samsung Epic.

-SF

++ big time.
Supposed to be out August 20