Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Problem with large WMV files: codec-related?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:44 pm

I purchased several WMV files from [name removed] video clip store (don't ask). All files I bought were downloaded successfully without problems. They also play successfully, except two files that are larger than 100 megabytes.

Now, I did not see anything wrong with the downloads. The two "damaged files" were downloaded successfully (download completed), and both files have correct size. But when I play them, they stopped in the middle. Also, I cannot use the slider bar to go back and forth in the movie. The slider bar can be moved, but the movie doesn't go. I have tried Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic, and both suffer from the same symptoms.

However, I also tried play the WMV files in another computer (which has more updated codecs). I used Media Player Classic, and both movies managed to play slightly longer. No, I cannot finish the movies either, but it plays slightly longer than in my computer. Also, now I can use the slider bar to go back and forth in the movie, although I cannot exceed the point where the movie stops in the middle.

What could be wrong? I suspect it is a codec problem, but I'm not pretty sure. A friend of mine said that large WMV files are often problematic. Can it be fixed?

Thanks.

** edit by SpotTheCat ** No need to say where you bought these videos.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Problem with large WMV files: codec-related?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:30 pm

100 megabytes should be nothing. My only WMV file that gave me trouble is one that is 3.5 gigabytes. If I try to seek in 32-bit WMP it hangs (have to kill wmplayer.exe). 64-bit seems to behave better. It could be codec related. May be try disabling hardware acceleration, assuming your GPU supports that to some degree and your CPU is powerful enough. At this point you pretty much want the video to play, right? ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:31 am

Flying Fox wrote:
100 megabytes should be nothing. My only WMV file that gave me trouble is one that is 3.5 gigabytes. If I try to seek in 32-bit WMP it hangs (have to kill wmplayer.exe).

I see. Mine is a pretty different case.
(1) in my original computer (not-so-updated codec), using slider bar does not crash MPC/WMP, but it does nothing either. The video just plays.
(2) in my new computer (more udpated codec), using slider bar can seek to certain point, but it cannot go beyond the point where the movie stops. All I got is a still picture where the movie stops.
But MPC/WMP never hangs in both cases.

Flying Fox wrote:
64-bit seems to behave better. It could be codec related. May be try disabling hardware acceleration, assuming your GPU supports that to some degree and your CPU is powerful enough.

I see, thanks! I'll try various acceleration settings then.

Flying Fox wrote:
At this point you pretty much want the video to play, right? ;)

Oh yeah.

** edited by SpotTheCat **
Removed picture. This thread is walking the line, no need to cross it. Consider this the last warning.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 am

Since you paid good money (I hope), shouldn't they provide you support or send you a different file if the source material is corrupt?

If you want to see if it is a codec problem you can try GSpot/MediaInfo to find out exactly what codec is in play.

Or try something that does not rely on Windows' own codecs, like VLC or MPlayer?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:08 am

Get VLC and be done with it. If VLC won't play it the files have a problem.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:02 am

Really sounds like a corrupted file to me. Do you have any way of verifying file integrity, e.g. an MD5 checksum?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:59 pm

There must be utilities that run through media files looking for corruption issues. Does GSpot do that?

Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:26 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Since you paid good money (I hope), shouldn't they provide you support or send you a different file if the source material is corrupt?

Unfortunately no. The agreement basically says that the buyer is solely responsible for download failure and such. I don't mind to re-purchase the corrupted movies, but first I have to make sure that it is indeed codec problems and not corrupted download. In case of codec problems, it won't matter if I re-download the movies again and again; I will suffer from the same error no matter what.

Flying Fox wrote:
GSpot/MediaInfo

Flying Fox wrote:
VLC or MPlayer?

SpotTheCat wrote:
If VLC won't play it the files have a problem.

UberGerbil wrote:
There must be utilities that run through media files looking for corruption issues. Does GSpot do that?

Thanks for the suggestions. I was about to try various hardware acceleration settings, but I was down with flue last night. I think I'll try VLC first.