Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Gradually increasing +5V Standby voltage

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm noticing high +5V Standby voltage on my PC, especially when it is kept on for an extended period of time. If the voltage is around 5.5 V when the PC is started, it increases to 6V when the PC is kept on for say 6 hours. My Radeon 5750 conked off recently, I don't know if this could be the reason. Also, I replaced my CoolerMaster 500W Extreme Power PSU with the Corsair VX450 recently but the problem still persists. I don't know what could be causing this. I first noticed this when my Abit IP35 Pro started beeping and uGuru showed a warning when it exceeded 6V.
Any idea why this could be happening?

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Gradually increasing +5V Standby voltage

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:06 pm

If it's not sensor malfunction, then your motherboard really is garbage. As videocards use both 5 V and 12 V (and pretty much all kinds of voltages really), it might have caused the card failure too.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Meadows wrote:
If it's not sensor malfunction, then your motherboard really is garbage. As videocards use both 5 V and 12 V (and pretty much all kinds of voltages really), it might have caused the card failure too.

Ah, but video cards don't take power from the +5VSB line. The only thing running from this line is the power & reset buttons on the case as well as (in the case of an IP35 Pro, which I have) the LEDs on the mobo indicating proper power connections. If the primary ATX +5V rail is in spec, peripherals running from same are in no danger.

To the OP: No idea why it's out of spec, but since its only function is to provide power to the power switch, or to keyboards & mice if you have them defined as "wake-on" devices in the BIOS, I'd change the alarm range in uGuru as long as the voltage isn't rising to crazy levels (anything much over 6.5v).

Another possibility, especially with the IP35 Pro, is that the heat tube that covers the PWM circuits around the CPU socket may not be making proper contact with all of the associated heat sinks. Lots of reading here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=147163
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:10 pm

Meadows wrote:
As videocards use both 5 V and 12 V (and pretty much all kinds of voltages really), it might have caused the card failure too.
No they don't. As the Captain says, 5V is hardly used anymore; PCie still includes the 3.3V pins but the power delivery is on the 12V lines so your video card never sees whatever is happening on the 5V rail. Of course if something wonky is happening in the mobo power delivery circuits or your PSU there could be transient spikes you're not seeing. But it's entirely possible that your video card died for unrelated reasons.