Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Which upcoming non-MMO RPG are you most looking forward to?

Bioware's Dragon Age 2 (March 8, 2011)
8 (15%)
CDProject's The Witcher 2 (May 17, 2011)
8 (15%)
Bethesda's Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim (11/11/11)
17 (32%)
Bioware's Mass Effect 3 (Holiday 2011!)
12 (23%)
Blizzard's Diablo 3 (2011?)
8 (15%)

Total votes: 53

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: Upcoming Anticipated (non-MMO) RPGs

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
They're changing the dialogue system to how Mass Effect does it. Granted I've never played Mass Effect but personally I prefer the classic Bioware way of going about with dialogue. The one thing DA:O nailed perfectly was the dialogue interactions, it felt exactly like Baldur's Gate again.

Having not played the Mass Effect series, you're missing out on an incredible story with incredible characters. The gameplay was good in the first one, incredible in the second. And having played both Mass Effect games and all DA:O content, I'd say I'd much rather have the Mass Effect system with a single character that's voiced, than the line by line system in DA:O.

Seems to me, with the examples given, in order to get more role play you give up immersion. Games are supposed to be entertaining, so I side with immersion.
Last edited by Airmantharp on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
[quote="SecretMaster"They're changing the dialogue system to how Mass Effect does it. Granted I've never played Mass Effect but personally I prefer the classic Bioware way of going about with dialogue. The one thing DA:O nailed perfectly was the dialogue interactions, it felt exactly like Baldur's Gate again.

Having not played the Mass Effect series, you're missing out on an incredible story with incredible characters. The gameplay was good in the first one, incredible in the second. And having played both Mass Effect games and all DA:O content, I'd say I'd much rather have the Mass Effect system with a single character that's voiced, than the line by line system in DA:O.

Seems to me, with the examples given, in order to get more role play you give up immersion. Games are supposed to be entertaining, so I side with immersion.[/quote]

Meh, I don't need voice acting for immersion. I actually find it detracts from the experience as a whole. A good book is just as immersive as any computer game, and it manages to succeed without a shred of voice acting. Besides, it is role-playing game for a reason. If you start removing all the features of role-playing, what are you left with? An action game?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of people will embrace and love the change in direction with Dragon Age 2. I just happened to grow up on role-playing computer games, which sort of set my viewpoint. I'm probably part of a dying breed of "gamer" if you will.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:53 am

Some potentially good news on ES V:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... iew?page=1

Eurogamer: You've been working on something secret now for two years. Do you have any sense yet of when you will be able to talk about it or even say what it is? Are going to be sat here next year answering the same question?

Todd Howard: I don't know [laughs]. I have a sense but we're not ready even to talk about that, because it might change. I don't want to disappoint people.

One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now.

You know, if Pete Hines came in and said, "I want you to show it," I'd be like, "Okay, I'm ready to show it." But we've just decided for now not to yet.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Dragon Age II has been properly dated with a trailer!

Also, Mass Effect 2 will be coming to the PS3. Now I can get my PS3-only owning friends playing the best game I've ever played.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:49 am

Quick update: 10 days ago (Sept. 7th) Bioware released loose-end-tying DLCs for each of their current major franchises.

We get to spend some time with Liara and help her with the quest she was on during the main plot in the Lair of the Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2 and we get to meet Morrigan again in Witch Hunt for Dragon Age: Origins.

I'm excited that Fallout: New Vegas is coming out in the next month, and I'm wondering, has anyone heard anything else about the next Elder Scrolls or Witcher? Or what should replace FO:NV on the poll when it releases?

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Quick update: 10 days ago (Sept. 7th) Bioware released loose-end-tying DLCs for each of their current major franchises.

We get to spend some time with Liara and help her with the quest she was on during the main plot in the Lair of the Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2 and we get to meet Morrigan again in Witch Hunt for Dragon Age: Origins.

I'm excited that Fallout: New Vegas is coming out in the next month, and I'm wondering, has anyone heard anything else about the next Elder Scrolls or Witcher? Or what should replace FO:NV on the poll when it releases?

Haven't seen any new ESV info, but the Witcher 2 has had a few new gameplay videos from Gamescom (and perhaps PAX). Maybe Torchlight 2, Dungeon Siege 3, or Deus Ex: Human Revolution in place of FO.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

The Witcher 2

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Shacknews has a video called 'Prison Break' for The Witcher 2. It's good, but NSFW.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm

please do not consider FPS shooting games to be RPGs
if you want to say FPS-RPG, sure go ahead

halo is not an RPG
therefore, Mass effect is neither even though it has very good story elements and multiple paths
it is an action-rpg at best

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:11 pm

potatochobit wrote:

halo is not an RPG
therefore, Mass effect is neither even though it has very good story elements and multiple paths

So it's only an RPG if it has tactical turn-based combat? Because, you know, RPG=Role Playing Game, and you definitely get to play a role, of your own choosing, in Mass Effect 1 & 2.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:04 am

potatochobit wrote:

halo is not an RPG

Come back in English?

Mass Effect is an RPG first, with other elements mixed in. And it's not Halo, not even close; please educate yourself. No full scale game fits neatly within a single genre anymore, those are reserved for Xbox Arcade and the like.

Further, get off my thread. If you don't care for any of the games listed above and have nothing productive to add, you're just threadjacking.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

A bit of obvious news...

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:48 am

Dragon Age 2 will import the world from save games, similar to what happened in Mass Effect to it's sequel, but since you're playing a new, universal character, your character gets left behind.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Dragon Age II Pre-order

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:43 am

It's up, on the EA Store, Gamestop, and EB Games.

I'll be waiting for the Steam version personally, but for those that don't care, it's up!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fallout: New Vegas

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Just noticed that Fallout New Vegas is pre-loading on Steam!

I'm going to take it down when it releases, so what do you guys think will replace it, if anything?

Also, does anyone have any news on the next Mass Effect and The Witcher games?

Edit: Created a discussion thread for Fallout:NV here.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Dragon Age II Champion Video

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Found here. Supposed to show 'gameplay,' but it looks to be renders from in-game cut scenes. Still enjoyable!

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 pm

XenoSaga Episode IV
XENOGEARS II
FINAL FANTASY VI-2

The best games that will never be released, or even make it to the drawing boards for that matter!
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

New Video for The Witcher 2

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

New video detailing The Witcher 2's engine. Really looking forward to this one!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

The Witcher 2

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:01 am

The Witcher 2 is available for pre-ordering for $44.99 from Steam!

Edit- looks like it's release has been pushed back to May 17th. Poll date updated.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: The Witcher 2

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:30 am

Airmantharp wrote:
The Witcher 2 is available for pre-ordering for $44.99 from Steam!

Edit- looks like it's release has been pushed back to May 17th. Poll date updated.

And you can also buy it from GOG, drm free with a ton of extras and a free game.
I'll be taking the red-pill: retail, because I want a physical box and manual to read. The first Witcher did not disappoint in that regard.
There are some other games I'm looking forward to, but the Witcher2 seems more like a true pc game, which raises my expectations. It looks good.
I could care less for the other RPG's on the current list.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:53 pm

Some of you may or may not have heard the rumors about ES V:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... -the-works

It's purely rumor, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I hope it isn't true. Direct sequels have never been characteristic of the entire franchise, I'd hate to start seeing it go in that direction. Guess we will wait and see I suppose.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Heck yeah!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:26 pm

SecretMaster wrote:

It's purely rumor, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I hope it isn't true. Direct sequels have never been characteristic of the entire franchise, I'd hate to start seeing it go in that direction. Guess we will wait and see I suppose.

Thanks for passing that along. Put me down on the list of people hoping they make some use of the Rage IP in this one!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Heck yeah!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

Thanks for passing that along. Put me down on the list of people hoping they make some use of the Rage IP in this one!

Todd Howard already stated they wouldn't be using Rage IP for the next ES title (realistically the game was in development long before the two ever combined). Bethesda has traditionally stuck with the Gamebryo platform, and I'd expect the next title to use it again.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Rumors and screenshots!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

Some news on Bioware's upcoming Mass Effect 3 here!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Updates!

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Gametrailers.com has the Mass Effect 3 debut video with a holiday release, as well as the video confirming Elder Scrolls 5: Skryrim will be here on November 11, 2011!

The poll has been updated.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:09 pm

DeadOfKnight wrote:
Diablo 3

Somehow I'm an idiot and missed this. You have found the fifth game for the poll sir! Poll updated and reset!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Poll Reset - Upcoming Anticipated (non-MMO) RPGs

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:02 am

Yeah, D3. That's definitely getting my vote this time. I am looking forward to DA2, as well, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for resetting the poll. I saw the trailer for TES V: Skyrim last night and then read that Drogan Age 2 is on the way and thought, wow - what an exciting year. I think Infamous 2 is supposed to come out next year as well. Should be a fun year.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Details on Skyrim's Engine

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Posted here.

Looks like they used Havok tech for the animations, which is a huge plus!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Dragon Age II Demo

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:07 am

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 am

I'm hopeful for Diablo 3 and Skyrim. If they repeat Oblivion I'm going to be very unhappy.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Dragon Age II

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:04 am

Bump for Dragon Age II!

The demo is available for all platforms, and is a good way to get a feel for how the game may run on a PC system, so you can start zeroing in performance settings early. Rumor has it that it runs a little slow on Nvidia systems, which will be rectified for the release version, but it's still more than playable.

Pre-orders can also start pre-loading now as well! Mine should be done when I get off from work today :).