Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Foldit! The Online Protein Folding Game

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Have any of you'all heard about this?! I just saw this article today. :o

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100804/sc_livescience/gamersgowherecomputerscantinsolvingaproteinpuzzle

Is it aligned with F@H?

I have an inquiring mind and I want to know! :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Re: Foldit! The Online Protein Folding Game

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:50 am

All I know is I want to try this. It sounds very interesting.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

heyal256
Gerbil First Class

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:47 pm

according to this article http://www.physorg.com/news200150119.html , it's using Rosetta@home

The Foldit energy calculations are carried out by Rosetta, the procedure for computing protein structures developed by David Baker, a UW biochemistry professor and co-author of the new paper. Baker's group has previously used donated computer cycles through Rosetta@home to help crunch through the trillions of possible orientations for the chains of amino acid molecules that make up proteins.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:39 am

So over the last few days I tried this game. Its pretty interesting but it takes a while to get used to (definite learning curve involved). Basically you try and fold a protein so that it will fold correctly and each level has a certain number of points you want to try and obtain, which completes the protein folding. Some of the proteins are very challenging and others are fairly easy to fold. I would recommend giving it a try if just for the science alone.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:37 am

My concern is would this divert cycles away from team 2630 trying to stay above water? :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Buzzard44
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:45 am

Flying Fox wrote:
My concern is would this divert cycles away from team 2630 trying to stay above water? :o

It shouldn't. It's just a game you play, where YOU are making the folds. Then depending on how well you can fold the protein, it gives you points. They're trying to get people to utilize their intuition to make folds that would require tons of computing power. Thus, it shouldn't detract from people using their CPU cycles to fold, it would just be in addition to the pure computational approach F@H takes.
Core i7-990X, 12 GB DDR3, 500GB BX100 SSD, 2x GTX 590s, 5x 2TB WD Greens, 1x 4TB WD Black