Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

timon37
Gerbil In Training

Re: Discuss TR's hardware photography contest

Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:41 am

It works:) More info: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:10077. The article is of the older versions and the status updates are in the discussion. I will (hopefully) make a nice semi DIY article when the project reaches a more definite halt, which should be no later than 2 months, although unfortunately I might not make the right unit into what I planned.

brajko2
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:39 am

Hi there..

I've just posted some of my own pictures on TR...
Now I see that there are quite a lot of them. Is it just me, or other people plan to pust much of pictures as I did?
Anyway fun contest, I must say.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Shinare wrote:
I hope that success in this contest is not hinged on how expensive of photography equipment you have. For me, I can only do so many things with a 3MP cell phone camera. heh

Nah, you just need to know what your tool can and can't do. There are two things a cell phone camera can't do, and that is to capture a good image in low light, and look sharp at high resolutions. Set up good lighting for your shot, and limit your submission to about 1024 pixels wide, and you can then clean up the remainder with a bit of post-processing (even Paint.Net, which is free, has enough features to get you there).

An investment in time and props is much more important for executing a good idea than the camera. My entry (page 5) cost about $35. I also shot about eighty images at different settings, angles, and light conditions (there were clouds moving around the sun so the light kept changing). Of that entire batch, there were about eight that I liked and tweaked for a bit, two of those that I considered for the final cut, and one that I actually finished for submission. Ironically, the shot I ended up using came from the lens I least expected to perform and only shot a couple images with...but there you go.

For all that, I may win nothing, but I got some good experience out of the deal and it was a lot of fun to do.

Again, as JaE indicated...craftsmanship is more important than the tools :wink:
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Derfer
Gerbil

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 pm

You spent money on yours? Should have just bought the game yourself.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Derfer wrote:
You spent money on yours? Should have just bought the game yourself.

You've missed the point of having a hobby :P

Also, I ate the food afterwards. The non-food items will either be given to people who can use them for their original purpose, or saved for future posed shots.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 am

ludi wrote:
An investment in time and props is much more important for executing a good idea than the camera. My entry (page 5) cost about $35. I also shot about eighty images at different settings, angles, and light conditions (there were clouds moving around the sun so the light kept changing). Of that entire batch, there were about eight that I liked and tweaked for a bit, two of those that I considered for the final cut, and one that I actually finished for submission. Ironically, the shot I ended up using came from the lens I least expected to perform and only shot a couple images with...but there you go.

For all that, I may win nothing, but I got some good experience out of the deal and it was a lot of fun to do.

Again, as JaE indicated...craftsmanship is more important than the tools :wink:

I hear 'ya. My shot took a while to setup, and my living room, bedroom, and kitchen looked like a pig sty what with all the various hardware and lighting instruments strewn about. On the bright side, I'm getting much better at using a light box. It's a bit more challenging because I'm using the cheap $10 work lights from Lowes instead of proper studio lighting, and my light box is literally held together with straight pins... but it works. I'm not used to setting up shots in studio, but it's nice to switch focus on my hobby and see what I can do in a controlled environment for a change.

I even learned a couple new post-processing tricks by tweaking my final photo. I didn't do anything extreme in pp (just a nudge here and there on the slider in DPP), but the final effect looks very much like I ran the photo through Topaz software, but not as extreme.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Creech
Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Hey! I'm new to the forums, but I just wanted to say thanks for being an awesome website and thanks for having a hardware photography contest. :D Of course the one time when I actually need my camera for something with a deadline, my friend is borrowing the camera! Thankfully I had some previous photos of some of my hardware, though. Anyway, I look forward to seeing everyone's pictures and participating in the forums!

thatmushroom
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 pm

FireGryphon, thanks for the acknowledgement. I thought I had a non-negligible shot at winning the card until you posted your pic. The story and the creativity blew me away.

The great irony is my current video card is so ancient that even if I win a copy of Metro 2033, there's absolutely no way I'll be able to play it. In that circumstance, one of my friends will benefit from my (hypothetical) fortune.

Chun¢
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

This was a great way to test out my new EF 50mm II lens and my light box.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:41 pm

I am seriously digging cappa84's "The Player" -- about 30% on the concept and 70% on the composition. One of the only black and white attempts in the whole set and a pretty good one.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:19 pm

ludi wrote:
I am seriously digging cappa84's "The Player" -- about 30% on the concept and 70% on the composition. One of the only black and white attempts in the whole set and a pretty good one.

It's a neat shot, and I like it as well. I also like where conjurer is going on page 5. His third to last shot is pretty good, and I see he tried to get something going with the hologram on the Pentium II cartridge. I tried that with my Pentium II's and III's, but I couldn't get it quite right to be interesting enough. The reflection in the hdd platter is pretty neat.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I like conjurer's tower of old CPUs.

Derfer
Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Yeah, cause we all know the world of photography could use some more black and white, sepia, depth of field, HDR, and all that other crap that makes all "professional" photography unoriginal and indistinguishable. Creativity should be 80% of any photo because the rest is a dime a dozen these days.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 pm

By the way, welcome to all the new gerbils who signed up for the contest and shared their pics with us. Hopefully we'll see you around!

Derfer wrote:
Yeah, cause we all know the world of photography could use some more black and white, sepia, depth of field, HDR, and all that other crap that makes all "professional" photography unoriginal and indistinguishable. Creativity should be 80% of any photo because the rest is a dime a dozen these days.

Not quite sure what you're referring to by this, though I agree with your nominal point that creativity is important and that it's easy for photographers these days to use advanced techniques without much substance to them. Thus separates art from the rest. That said, I laugh whenever I take a ho-hum picture that ends up looking spectacular when I completely desaturate it or change its tonal balance.

thatmushroom wrote:
FireGryphon, thanks for the acknowledgement. I thought I had a non-negligible shot at winning the card until you posted your pic. The story and the creativity blew me away.

Many thanks. The competition is still rough, though. There are lots of pics here that I wish I had taken, they're so good, and each is a different take on creative.

The great irony is my current video card is so ancient that even if I win a copy of Metro 2033, there's absolutely no way I'll be able to play it. In that circumstance, one of my friends will benefit from my (hypothetical) fortune.

I was thinking about this, too. My rig isn't exactly old, but I don't know how it might handle the game if I win a copy. But hey... Rage is running on a 2G iPhone, so maybe Metro 2033 won't be that bad...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:21 am

Derfer wrote:

You sound just a tad snide and bitter. Which is unfortunate because I actually agree with the point you're trying to convey.

Critical
Gerbil

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:11 am

FireGryphon wrote:
By the way, welcome to all the new gerbils who signed up for the contest and shared their pics with us. Hopefully we'll see you around!

I've found my second home, only problem is reading all the post's you guys have made over the years :D I don't want to miss anything out :P

rado992
Gerbil

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:13 am

Critical wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

I've found my second home, only problem is reading all the post's you guys have made over the years :D I don't want to miss anything out :P

I hear you, buddy. :wink: I've been reading the forums for quite a while but never posted anything as I hadn't registered. Let's hope that I'll participate more now. ;)
ASUS X99 Deluxe|FD Define R5|Corsair RM1000|i7-5930K 4GHz|Corsair H110i GT|64GB DDR4-2666|GTX 970 G1|ASUS Xonar DX|Samsung 850 Evo 500GB|12TB Storage
HP Elitebook 2560p|Core i7 2760QM|16GB DDR3 1333|Crucial BX100 250GB

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 am

Critical wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

Excellent, just don't be too critical of what you read.

:P
Last edited by FireGryphon on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derfer
Gerbil

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

ludi wrote:
You sound just a tad snide and bitter. Which is unfortunate because I actually agree with the point you're trying to convey.

I believe that's a natural result of textual sarcasm.

Spotpuff
Gerbil

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:25 pm

<sarcasm>I FOR ONE WAS SORELY DISAPPOINTED AT THE LACK OF AWESOME LOOKING HDR SHOTS OF THE SKY IN THIS PHOTO CONTEST.</sarcasm>

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm

You know, I'm completely fed up with the way that hammers are overused. I mean, some people use a hammer for everything these days! And you can't go by a single construction site without seeing hammers everywhere. What a boring tool. People should learn to be creative when they drive nails.

Critical
Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:36 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Critical wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

Excellent, just don't be too critical of what you read.

:P

hehe I hear ya, Critical is derived from my old gaming name - cRiticalError - cos' thats what I used to get every session because my rig wasn't quite up to the task back then :P Anyone else remember America'sArmy ?

ArkLabsPhotography
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:00 am

I have to say I'm really impressed with the creativity and thought put into some of the shots in this contest. Even though I do photography aside from my other job I've never really done any kind of what I would call product photography (if you could technically call this product photography, seems similar, idk). I joined only for the contest, although I'll probably stick around because I tinker with computers constantly. But, as always it's never the camera or equipment that takes good pictures, it's the photographer that takes good pictures. So on that note, to everyone the best of luck.

foxikk
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:00 am

good luck for you too

wasser
Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm

The results are in!

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19464

Congrats to Ludi! I guess the sepia wasn't too much in this case. :p And congrats to everyone else who got a copy of Metro. :)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:48 pm

:o :D 8)

The only problem is that somewhere along the way, I blew away a huge chunk on photography equipment and forfeited a quad-core system upgrade in the process. So I guess I'm slowly earning it back :lol:

I wonder what the 1099-MISC looks like for this one...

Derfer
Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm guessing the game copies are going to be digital?

wasser
Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Derfer wrote:
I'm guessing the game copies are going to be digital?

I don't know what digital it'll be, but...

We've also singled out an additional 18 winners, each of whom will receive a free digital copy of Metro 2033.

I do know it'll be digital. :)

That's quoted from the page announcing the winners.

Spotpuff
Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Is "Inkling" the right guy we should be spamming?

wasser
Gerbil

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Spotpuff wrote:
Is "Inkling" the right guy we should be spamming?

Yeah, I'm assuming he's "Adam". :)