Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Milking the Multithreaded Beasts

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:14 pm

So [H] has a bunch of slides from an Intel presentation on apps that are multi-threaded enough to actually make use of most or all of the 12 hardware threads available in the i7-980X (though "make use of" and "fully utilize" are two different things, and there's no actual data, not even CPU graphs, to back it up: this is a marketing slide deck that should probably be titled "Buy an Extreme processor, please!")

For the most part the list consists of the usual suspects of audio and video editing / encoding / rendering, plus some Photoshop filters and games / game middleware. But I had to laugh when I got to the second bullet point in the slide on Ubisoft's R.U.S.E:

Keep in mind this is a WWII RTS, not Farmville.

Now that's a justification for a $1K CPU.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Milking the Multithreaded Beasts

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Whoa. The horses and cows are animated. Where can I spend my $1000? This is also why I'm a PC gamer, right?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Those cows better be animated. I won't play it if not.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

scare
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 pm

At first glance, I read an extra letter in the title making this out to be a very NSFW thread.

Animated horses and cows though? I'm not so interested now.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
X3 720 @3.6, 1.4V | GA-MA790X-UD4P | XFX 4890 | 2x2 PC6400 | HDT-S1283 | ModXStream 500W | CM690

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:29 pm

ROFL, you know marketing is desperate when they begin to drop off outlandish claims like clockwork.

Silly marketers, Extreme Edition chips are "halo" products. Don't market them as necessities, rather as proof that Intel platforms are superior. Besides, your real bread and butter are Clarkdales and soon Sandy Bridges.

IMO, I don't see mainstream application using anything more than 4 threads. The cost/benefits aren't there. It is hard enough for coders to make a program efficient with two threads nevermind utilizing three or four threads.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 am

Wasn't it the Pentium 4 that made the Internet go faster because it had Netburst(tm)? :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:23 am

DancinJack wrote:
Those cows better be animated. I won't play it if not.

The only way I want an inanimate cow is if it's on my plate.

Or maybe they mean the re-animated cows. The zombie cowpocalypse?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:35 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

But you don't need a Core i7 for that - you just need a Pentium I and a copy of the sanitized version of Carmageddon II.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am

bhtooefr wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

But you don't need a Core i7 for that - you just need a Pentium I and a copy of the sanitized version of Carmageddon II.

Didn't Diablo II have a secret level with zombie cows that you got to by using Wert's leg?

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 am

I can't tell you how many games I have stopped playing and thrown away in disgust due to the presence of nonanimated horses and cows.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 am

cphite wrote:
I can't tell you how many games I have stopped playing and thrown away in disgust due to the presence of nonanimated horses and cows.

It's udderly disgusting, isn't it? I preach the importance of equine and bovine animation until I'm horse, but does anyone listen? No. I guess the point is just moo-t. Then Intel trots out their "revolutionary" advancement like it was their idea... Totally behoofs me to point out such hypocrisy.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 am

bdwilcox wrote:
It's udderly disgusting, isn't it? I preach the importance of equine and bovine animation until I'm horse, but does anyone listen? No. I guess the point is just moo-t. Then Intel trots out their "revolutionary" advancement like it was their idea... Totally behoofs me to point out such hypocrisy.

:lol: this just made my day.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 am

bdwilcox wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Didn't Diablo II have a secret level with zombie cows that you got to by using Wert's leg?

Ah ha the Cow Level! Countless hours (including getting sick after an all-nighter session) levelling up with the hoards of cows. :o :D

I wonder if Diablo III will include Intel's hardware acceleration so the new Cow Level will be so much better!
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

But can it run Crysis Physx? Probably not.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:58 am

Krogoth wrote:
IMO, I don't see mainstream application using anything more than 4 threads. The cost/benefits aren't there. It is hard enough for coders to make a program efficient with two threads nevermind utilizing three or four threads.
The only thing I'm aware of currently is some video editors. I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector and it will peg all four cores/eight threads when rendering. Not bad for a $90 program, but it's the only program I have that even comes close.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus