Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Amazing!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm

I downloaded the latest Creative drivers from auto-update yesterday and finally after like 10 years or so they are finally fixed :o

The X-Fi I have, have been having random hissing and interruption problems since I brought it like 2 years ago, and all previous cards also experienced random problems. But now everything seems to work. That's like WOW :-?
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Amazing!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:14 pm

I gotta tell you, the year or so I owned an X-Fi it never gave me fits. But I grew up and moved on to a real audio interface from M-Audio. Maybe one day I'll graduate to the Digidesigns arm of AVID, but for now my Fast Track is plenty enough for me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:57 pm

Madman wrote:
I downloaded the latest Creative drivers from auto-update yesterday and finally after like 10 years or so they are finally fixed :o

The X-Fi I have, have been having random hissing and interruption problems since I brought it like 2 years ago, and all previous cards also experienced random problems. But now everything seems to work. That's like WOW :-?

Lucky you, they never bothered to fix the ASIO drivers so I eventually sold my Audigy 2 ZS and stopped recommending Creative. Their loss :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I have an X-fi Music for several years now, never a problem. But my Audigy did develop the aforementioned hiss after a couple of years of fairly intense use.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:00 pm

morphine wrote:
Madman wrote:

Lucky you, they never bothered to fix the ASIO drivers so I eventually sold my Audigy 2 ZS and stopped recommending Creative. Their loss :)

What's weird is that, thanks to things like direct monitoring, USB seems to be more suited to recording everything except for softsynths, and if you have a keyboard that can make its own sound, even then you don't need low-latency to record. Still, overall, glad I dumped my Xfi.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
I have an X-fi Music for several years now, never a problem. But my Audigy did develop the aforementioned hiss after a couple of years of fairly intense use.

There's something to be said about a piece of electronics with no moving parts that "develops" hissing after "fairly intense use". You seriously put that as if it were partly your fault, when there's no such thing as "intense use" for an audio card.

Imagine if CPUs or memory started to just "develop issues" after a year or two. Oh well, Creative can get away with it, because look, here they have the latest model of the same exact audio engine, and you should buy it.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm

I've had nothing but trouble with creative sound-cards. They have made a few system's BSOD, and a few others just sounds worse due to hissing and popping.