Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

AMD 1055T OC Help

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:54 am

I have a GA-870A-UD3 with a 1055T that is currently overclocked to 3.57GHz. It runs F@H 24/7 for weeks on end without crashing. (it has also been tested with Prime 95 blend for 24 hours and linX for 15 passes on max stress)

My question is occasionally I restart my computer for software, updates etc. and every once in a while (maybe 1 in 5-10 times) the PC gets to post and says the overclock settings are unstable and it says it resets my BIOS to the default values or allows me to fix the BIOS. Two things happen from here.

1) If i choose to go to the BIOS and fix it right then and there the PC will do the same thing as above unless all the default values are left in place
2) If I accept the default BIOS values the PC just boots to Windows normally.

Once on the login screen I usually restart my computer and load the BIOS used for the overclock and it boots to windows with no problem and is 100% stable.

I guess my question is does anyone have this same issue or know how to fix this? I have never seen this happen before and I wonder if it is something with this particular board? I think the board has two BIOS as well.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: AMD 1055T OC Help

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

What are the overclock settings?

What if you just used AMD Overdrive instead - is that even acceptable?

It does sound like a mobo problem. I try backing down the HTT (or whatever they're calling it these days) by 5 or 10 MHz.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm

When I get out of work I will post my BIOS settings. I have always been confused what the HTT and NB Frequency are or what they should be set to even after reading a few OC guides.

What if you just used AMD Overdrive instead - is that even acceptable?

I tried AMD Overdrive and tried using the auto OC settings but it just kept freezing and BSOD the computer. I thought it was much better to set OC's in the BIOS
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Here's my current BIOS settings:

I have 8gb of this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=

CPU Clock Ratio: x14 (3570)
CPU NorthBridge Freq.: x8 (2040)
Core Performance Boost: Disabled
CPU Frequency: 255
PCIE Clock: 100
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
HT Link Frequency: Auto (I just changed it to 1.6GHz today and it seems to be running better now but I am not sure if completely stable)
Memory Clock: x4 (1020)
DCTs Mode: Unganged
DDR3 Timing Items: Auto (BELOW IS WHAT THE DRAM defaulted to)
Cas# latency: 6T
RAS to Cas: 6T
Row Recharge Time: 6T
Minimum RAS Active Time: 15T
TwTr Command Delay: 4T
Trfc0-3: 110ns
Write Recovery Time: 6T
Precharge Time: 4T
Row Cycle Time: 20T
Ras to Ras Delay: 4T
Bank Interleaving: Enabled
Channel Interleave: Enabled

All the voltages are left on Auto. I also disabled the power saving features such as cool and quiet and C1E support. I only know the basics of OC so any help would greatly be appreciated, especially explaining the NB and HT frequencies.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:56 pm

looks like you are an intel man

you should not mess with the FSB until the ratio is maxed out
changing the FSB messes with your memory but also your HT link/ NB
when you raise the NB frequency you must raise the voltage and the VID voltage a bit

so you are changing CPU voltage, NB voltage, VID voltage, Memory Voltage

so what I would do:
start over and mess with the multiplier only
then you can raise the CPU voltage a bit at a time

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:14 pm

potatochobit wrote:

when you raise the NB frequency you must raise the voltage and the VID voltage a bit

so what I would do:

I have been on my intel rig for the last several years so forgive my ignorance, but isn't the multi locked on the 1055t?

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 pm

oh, no! you are right!
this model is locked! For shame on AMD!

let me come up with some numbers and see what others have done

EDIT: what is your stock CPU voltage?
1.325? lets try upping it to 1.4
you have an aftermarket heatsink?
Last edited by potatochobit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Coran Fixx wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

so what I would do:

I have been on my intel rig for the last several years so forgive my ignorance, but isn't the multi locked on the 1055t?

Yes, you are correct. What potatochobit probably meant to say was that mmmdonuts21 should be changing the "CPU Frequency" - shown to be set at 255 in his most recent post. Default is still 200, I think, but it's been a while for me too... so anyway, this is what should be set lower. Go down to 250 and see if that stabilizes things.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes. I have only OC'd an Intel CPU before I got the Thuban. What should be the max HT and NB frequency I should aim for because I can drop it extremely low.

you have an aftermarket heatsink?

Yes. I got a H50 in push pull and have been using HW monitor and have yet to see a temp above 40C

what is your stock CPU voltage

I am running it at that right now and I believe it is 1.425

Go down to 250 and see if that stabilizes things.

Like I said before once I boot into windows I can't get 255 to crash or BSOD at all (I have been trying for the last few hours to get this to happen and it has not happened in the month prior running F@H). My problem seems to be the transfer from the BIOS to windows.

Daveburt714
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:21 pm

mmmmmdonuts21: Those RAM clocks are way too tight for the 1055T, they're even out of spec from G.Skill (8-8-8-21), 6-6-6-15 is gonna be a problem :-? ....
And the fact that your running 4x2Gb (8gb) isn't going to make things any easier. You need to set them manually, I'd try 8-8-8-24-32 @ 1.60v (adding a few V's will help with 4 dimms) and go from there... Super tight memory timings don't really offer all that much anyway unless your benching. In real world apps it's not all that important!

These guys are right, the only way to OC a 1055 is by raising the HTREf clock (locked Multi @ 14x), that chip should do a whole lot better than 3.57... :wink:

You've chosen a really nice board, it has 8+2 power but the fact that there is no PWN cooling is a little troublesome...
You didn't mention voltages, but on the conservative side you should probably consider ~1.45v on the CPU and ~1.25v on the IMC (CPU-NB).
Make sure you either add a heatsink or put a fan over the powersection and you should be good to go!

For reference, 1.525 CPU and 1.30 IMC is safe as long as core temps stay under 53c, take your time and don't give it more than it needs ... :wink:

On a side note, the 8xx series chipset is fairly new and alot of mobo manufacturers are still working on the bios, so some of your problems may be mobo/bios related.

As to the HTLink/IMC (CPU-NB) thing, I've had the best luck keeping them in sync (same multis)...

If your feeling a little ballsy, try these settings...
I've had a few beers, but I've thought about it long and hard and I won't tell ya anything dangerous... :wink:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 1055T X6 | Mushkin 2x2 1600 @ 1.35v | Visontek 4870/512 | Watercooled | Corsair TX750 PSU | Windows 7 64bit | Corsair 800D Obsidian

Daveburt714
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:38 pm

The message editor got a little wierd, so excuse me for starting a new one... 8)

Try these settings...

HTref = 286, CPU Multi @ 14x (4.0Ghz) , CPU core Voltage @ 1.45v
CPU-NB (IMC) @ 9x (2.575) @ 1.25v
HTLink @ 9x (2.575)

Lower mem timings, and raise V's as shown above and I'm pretty sure it should solve your problems... :wink:

I'm pretty sure this info should help performance with minimal risk!

If you try it you'll praise me, if not, just call me a dumbbas.... :P
Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 1055T X6 | Mushkin 2x2 1600 @ 1.35v | Visontek 4870/512 | Watercooled | Corsair TX750 PSU | Windows 7 64bit | Corsair 800D Obsidian

Jypster
Gerbil

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 am

Honestly looking at what you are saying about the machines generally stability I don't think the problem lays in your settings. I had a very similar issue with my GA-MA790GP-DSH4 (What a mouthfull) Would run stable for weeks yet sometimes on warm boot I would get an error about the overclock. This was fixed with BIOS version F6 if I recall correctly (No I wasn't running a 1055T though)

You can try some of the things suggested but my suggestion would be to live with it and keep an eye out of a BIOS update if it is stable durring everything else.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the responses and help.

Daveburt - I tried to boot your settings from a cold start and I got into windows unfortunately it was not stable at all. I will keep trying for 4GHz but I am not sure if my board will obtain that.

Loosening the RAM settings helped a lot as well it seems. I still don't know why I left that on auto. (stupid mistake)

I still suspect that something is wrong with my BIOS and I believe I have what Jypster had with his Phenom II.

Right now I am stability testing at 3.75GHz (268 FSB) @1.475V.

Daveburt714
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 am

Well thats much better donuts... :wink:

I agree with Jypster too, your POST problems could very well be bios related.

Since you have good CPU cooling, I wouldn't worry about taking the Vcore a little higher.
The 1055 will be much more tolerant of voltage than Intel's current chips.
Just watch temps on the CPU and power sections, and once you see that more V's stops scaling, adding more won't help.

I know your a cruncher and stability guy, but you also seem like you have a little OC'er in you too... :)

Just for refrence to get the best performance out of these chips you need to take things one step at a time and test each component
individually taking everything else out of the equation. Then find the best balance once you kow what each one is capable of...

You asked earlier about the importance of HTLink/IMC (CPU-NB) speed. FWIW, this is the way I tune these chips to get the best performance, in order of importance.

1) Find the max the CPU cores are capable of.
2) Find the max the IMC (CPU-NB) is capable of.
3) Tune the memory clocks/freq. This gets a little tricky, with your RAM I would start with the 1066 (5.33) divider @ 8-8-8-24. That would put you @ 1412 with the HTRef clock @ 265.
4) HTLink speed. This is really the least important of all, it will add a little for gaming, but it's not really important for overall system performance.
Personally I always keep the HTLink and IMC multis the same, but lowering the HTLink multi won't have much effect if it help stablitiy (just try to keep them close (IE: don't run 10x on the IMC and 8x on the HTLInk).

Just trying to help you get the most PPD... 8)

Hope this helps man.......... Dave

BTW: I'd be really interested to know your progress. :wink:

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Just to give a little update. Using your advice Dave I managed to get my FSB up to 297. From there I slowly increased the multiplier.

I am now running [email protected]. (297*13)

This has been stable running Intel Burn Test for about 10 runs or so and F@H for about two hours.

The next thing I got to do is increase my HT & NB and get that stable.

Daveburt714
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 am

VERY NICE donuts!! :D

The only thing that still conserns me about your rig is the power section of your board....

If you can spare a few $$$ (~$32) you may want to order these parts:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835708012
Attatch these to the fets (power transistors) on your board...

And then get a Spotcool to blow down on them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... k=spotcool

It may seem like overkill, but if you want to crunch 24/7 OC'd it can't hurt... 8)

Don't worry too much about the HtLink multi. With that HtRef you should be able to do 9x on the IMC (2673) and 8x (2376) on the HtLink...

If you can afford those cooling parts, you can probably do 10x IMC and 9x HtLink, but you'll probably need to raise the IMC V's to ~1.3v.

Glad to see your getting that puppy dialed in! :wink: