Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Ethernet port running at 10Mbps

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks for all the help everyone. By the way, I did try it in Ubuntu 10.04 and there I could get NO connection. wireless or auto eth0. But now everything seems to be working fine. Thanks guys.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm

If eth0 wasn't coming up under Ubuntu then it definitely sounds like flaky hardware, I'd have a spare card (like that Intel PCI-E one) on standby.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Well, it seems to have worked itself out. Although I will have a spare in chance this happens again. Thanks again guys.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Meadows = TR's residential Troll. :lol:

Anyway, the OP's problem seems to be either hardware or software. I am not going to repeat what others have mentioned. I have seen my fair share of funky network issues. It doesn't hurt to explore all avenues to determine the issue at hand.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:09 am

DancinJack wrote:
Well, here is what I did. Uninstalled old drivers. Installed new ones, no luck. Tried most recent drivers from Gigabyte and Realtek and that didn't work. Then right after that, my NIC continued to stay stagnant as "network cable unplugged" for about an hour worth of me trouble shooting. I tried band new cables for both the modem and router, still no luck. I took apart the main parts of my pc, unplugged all the cables, cleared the cmos and discharged the caps. I then proceded to install the driver from the Installation cd from which I got with my mobo from Gigabyte. It halted at "installing driver.' (Which I had done perviously in the night) I restarted my computer and seriously eveything is working fine now. Anyone have any idea what would have caused an issue like this. I don't have any other OS's installed on this drive. I haven't added any new significant software, aside from an update to chrome. Just couldn't figure it out. If anyone else has come across this problem and found a solution without spending any bones, i'd love to hear what you had to go through. Thanks for all the help everyone and i'm glad i finally have my netz back.

If it happens again, try booting into a Linux LiveCD and doing "ethtool eth0". I assume that you only have one NIC in the system. If you have two, you might need to do "ethtool eth1" depending on how the LiveCD configures the interfaces. Not all Live CDs have ethtool installed, so my suggestion is to use System Rescue CD:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

If it is 10Mbps under Windows, 1Gbps under the Live CD and then still 10Mbps under Windows after you reboot into Windows, then it is likely a Windows problem.

Krogoth wrote:

Anyway, the OP's problem seems to be either hardware or software. I am not going to repeat what others have mentioned. I have seen my fair share of funky network issues. It doesn't hurt to explore all avenues to determine the issue at hand.

That is an ad hominem attack.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

That is an ad hominem attack.

With imprecise grammar, no less. Tsk tsk, Krogoth.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:00 am

Mod hat on
OK, everything has been just a bit of good natured bantering back and forth so far, but let's try and keep clear of Forum Rule 2.
Mod hat off

zonly1
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 pm

I get the same issue on my dual gigabit ports on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P board. The only solution I found that works is to turn off my PC AND switch off the PSU or unplug from the wall then start the machine again, and then it works again full speed.
It has nothing to do with drivers or OS since I can check if it's working correctly or not from BIOS.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I had the same problem with one of the ports on my gigabyte X48-DQ6 board...had nothing but issues with one of my ports running at extremely slow speeds. Multiple driver changes and connection repairs did nothing for me. I finally ended up removing both from device manager and rebooting into my bios and turning both NICs off. Then I booted into windows, shut down again and went into the bios and turned them both back on. Once back into windows I reinstalled the most recent drivers, and both worked fine. Still working fine a year later, so it seemed to repair my issue.

LinuxJoeIII
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I am having this problem now. 100MBps or higher lan cards, router and 5e cables, but ethernet speed slowed down to 10mbps. Big problem when transferring lots of GB to server. I made sure the wireless connection on my PC was turned off.

I recall at work this was a problem with notebook PC's running Windows 7. I'd call the IT guy and he'd tinker with settings and I was back up to 100MB again. He said it was some sort of Windows bug where it would stick at the 10mbps wireless speed, even when connected to ethernet LAN. It would crop up -seemingly randomly- every month or so.

No i have the problem at home. I click on the "network and sharing" and view status of local connection, and it says 100mbps, but I look at my 32GB file transfer in process, and it says 10.6Mbps and a long wait til files are all sent.

Unfortunately, it's Christmas vacation and I'm at home, so I can't find out what the IT guy poked or prodded to get the speed back up again. He moved to fast to see what all menus were popped up and typed into.

I've tried cable swaps, but since I have experienced a windows bug before, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on that. lots of hits for 10mbps speed problems, not much on solutions.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:15 pm

LinuxJoeIII wrote:
No i have the problem at home. I click on the "network and sharing" and view status of local connection, and it says 100mbps, but I look at my 32GB file transfer in process, and it says 10.6Mbps and a long wait til files are all sent.

Let's just clear something up here: Please be uber-precise when throwing numbers around because there is a BIG difference between a MegaBIT and a MegaBYTE (an 8x difference to be precise).

If you have a standard fast-ethernet card that can transfer data at 100 MegaBITs per second (theoretical max of course and not including overhead due to ethernet frames, etc. etc.), then there is absolutely nothing wrong with experiencing a file transfer at a rate of ~10 - 11 MegaBYTEs per second. In a theoretically perfect transfer you should be getting a throughput of 12.5 million BYTES per second (100 * 10^6 / 8 ), and using the base-2 definition of a megabyte as 2^20 bytes, that translates into a theoretical maximum of ~11.9 MegaBYTES per second. There's always going to be overhead, so 10.6 MegaBYTES per second is perfectly fine and your card is operating at full speed.

Units: Learn them, live them, use them consistently.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 am

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:30 pm

I didn't read the entire thread, but the first things I'd check would be:

1) Cable continuity. Cable tester will help with that.
2) Make sure you're using cat6 cable for GiGe.
3) Check the devices between your NIC and the Router/Modem. If there's a switch inbetween, check the different ports and the stats on it. If you are connected directly to the router, go into it's advanced mode and start checking stats
4) If the issue is spurious and random, check that there isn't an EMI source near the cable run.
5) Run wireshark on your PC, and check the logs there. See if there's a lot of failures/resends on your end.
6) If all else fails, buy a better GiGe NIC.

And remember, you're only as fast as the slowest link in the chain. If everything checks out OK between your Gateway device and your PC, the issue is probably with your PC.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

LostCat

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am

If it's Realtek or Intel NICs they should have diagnostic tools to run on their site. Can't speak for anyone else at the moment.

Unless the drivers aren't coming out of sleep mode properly I don't know of any Windows bug that would do that.
Meow.

chuckula

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:44 pm

unkoil wrote:
lol, after lurking here for a few years and finally signing up, getting flamed by that Meadows guy...I feel like a regular :o

Make sure to get your rewards card updated. You get a free toaster after Krogoth & Neely flame you! 8)
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 pm

And back to Ontopic ...

I have seen some issues with the cheap onboards that usually get cleared with an add-in board (I would go Broadcom rather than Intel since the switch is most likely driven by Broadcom, there was a war and Broadcom has already won it at this point.)

Sometimes just installing a different version of the driver fixes the issue which I suspect is some settings or something the NIC stores in the tiny bit of flash they have.