Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Just picked up something interesting... (Pentax Auto 110)

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Thought I'd play around with the Pentax Auto 110, so I found one with the cases, the (bulky) flash, and an 18 and 24mm lens. Thought it would be a fun toy to play with, and when I get sick of 110 film (which will be very, very quickly,) I'm considering finding a dead Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds camera, and grafting parts from it into a digital back of sorts - there's even a way to get the shutter release, from the connections for the optional (bulky as all hell) autowinder. It'd almost certainly be the smallest DSLR ever. And, Four Thirds has almost exactly the same sensor size as the image area of 110 film. (No, this wouldn't be an easy feat, and may not be possible. Still, worth a shot just for fun.)

Self-taken pics when I get it, and then I'll post shots from it as soon as I can get the stuff developed. (I don't think anybody local does 110.)

Here's pics from the seller, though:

For scale, the 24mm lens is about the size of a soda bottle cap, from what I hear. (And apparently it's a quite nice lens, too.)

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Just picked up something interesting... (Pentax Auto 110)

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Holy god this thing is tiny.

My point and shoot isn't here, not sure I want to burn a roll of 35mm on photos of this cam, but... damn, this thing is tiny.

Like damn.

They're not joking when they say the 24mm lens is the size of the cap off of a bottle of soda.

Needs a lens cap for the 24mm, fresh batteries, and some film, but other than that, it should be good. (A 50mm would be nice, too, but hey.) Ordered a roll of film online, and I've got a roll of expired (in 1999) Kodak Gold ISO 400 film that came with it, that I stuck in the fridge.

Oh, and the bulky flash looks just as ridiculous as it does in photos, but it looks much less bulky in person.

Now to get my digital camera back, so I can shoot the thing...