Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Cyril
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Discuss our Xonar sound card giveaway here

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

If you'd like to talk about our Asus Xonar giveaway, or chime in with your thoughts on future sound card features, you may do so in this thread.

Derfer
Gerbil

Re: Discuss our Xonar sound card giveaway here

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Photography eh? You did that for the graphics card. Should have had us all make songs for the soundcard.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 pm

I was thinking of linking a couple tunes but they all violate the "R" part of the "no R&P" rule. I may go mute the vocals, re-export and link up a couple anyhow, if the mods don't mind.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

fent
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Honestly I cant see myself buying a sound card ever again. But if asus was able to integrate a Xonar chip onto a motherboard that would certainly be interesting.
Awesometown.

Derfer
Gerbil

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:10 pm

If asus could put one of their highend cards onto a board line and only charge maybe a $40 premium over normal boards that'd be pretty nice. Free up more room for sli/xfire.

rei
Gerbil

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm using a semi-reliable Creative XtremeGamer PCI card in my fourth system in 2 years now. I briefly tried an Auzentech X-Fi Forte but it had interference problems. I have those intermittent (every few weeks/months) issues with Win7 (x64) and X-Fi cards though where it will squeal/scratch for no reason seemingly and can't be resolved until a complete cold boot cycle.

Hmm, my first post in 5 years and 8 since my first registering. Yikes.

Derfer
Gerbil

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I went from a PCI X-fi to a Forte. The Forte exposed errors in audio files that the old card didn't. It's hard to say if that's good or bad, since so many audio files are of poor quality.

Yoshimanitsu
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:45 pm

so who one

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Yoshimanitsu wrote:
so who one

I one, you two, he three :wink:

As for the contest, it is still open through this Tuesday, September 14, according to the front-page postings.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

monkeychang
Gerbil In Training

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Will the winners be announced soon? :D It's been more than 48 hours since it ended (original article stated that winners would be announced within 48 hours of contest closing).

Mr.Lif
Gerbil

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Aw bummer.

I just bought a sound card in hopes of getting my stuff to work. It did, then it died, and I was going to edit my post to show the new (dead) stuff. Now it's closed so oh well.

I'll just stick with the rma those guys gave me.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:57 am

Got mine in today's mail (Monday) and installed it this evening. Nice! Driver CD was a bit cantankerous in autoplay mode, but once I ran the driver installation manually, everything set up correctly with no further issues. Very good acoustic definition and SNR, my headphone amp loves this soundcard. Tried out Toby Mac's "Tonight" and Eden's Bridge's "Celtic Journeys" and got no complaints at all.

Thanks again, TR! Awesome contests lately.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Gee, I dunno. Does it support EAX and actually work, like just more or less pop in and play, like you did with the old Creative SoundBlaster Live! cards? That would be nice and interesting hehehehe
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!